No experience but good everthng else

tedohio

Active Expediter
Thanks cheri1122 .since progressive owns the market and they base their rates so much on credit worthiness. that and oh rates will help me out a bit.michigan just got hit by an ugly rate increase and like u said some things u can control as fixed costs.if i make a net of 3k/month i can make it.i have a few rentals and we are vices free and disciplined.i am not doing this for fun or stress out the other guys.i just want to tell my boss that he's gotta figure out a way to feed my fam like i had to for the last 7years.see i was not a bad agent.i was my Co best but they figure they can do whatever since i got four mouths to feed and i will have to put up w it.
But smtimes in life a kick in the *** is a step forward

tedohio

Active Expediter
#noneya.thanks.i have bunch of semi truckers liking the landstar.did not hear ab them from van owners.my customers kept mentioning bolt.did u work there?where u work now?thanks again

noneya

Active Expediter
#noneya.thanks.i have bunch of semi truckers liking the landstar.did not hear ab them from van owners.my customers kept mentioning bolt.did u work there?where u work now?thanks again

I currently run for bolt and I won't be running for them too much longer.

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Stay away from bolt!

I do just fine with bolt ...know a guy that's been with bolt for 5+ years ...building a house in NM mountains ...with no mortgage... there's a lot of other company's I would stay away from other than Bolt..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter
I do just fine with bolt ...know a guy that's been with bolt for 5+ years ...building a house in NM mountains ...with no mortgage... there's a lot of other company's I would stay away from other than Bolt..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

To each his/her own. Bolt is not for me.

tedohio

Active Expediter
Thanks so far and also if you can recommend a van that u like in terms of reliability, price, gas consumption...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
hi folks and thanks for being a part of this.
I am a future former insurance agent that would like to buy a van and do expediting. I have a few kids and a stay at home wife and i cant be lounging while looking for work.i picked this as i have been insuring lots of them and even thou is 50/50 in terms of feedback from my costumers i have to give it a try
I have no transportation experience but a clean driv record, good credit and i would like to think that i can communicate well w other pips.
Would a Co like Bolt hire me? I would have my own van.
Thanks for all the advices and do know i am not friends w xerses(sorry but i had to say that)

The wife/kid thing never seems to work well with people on the road ...Turtle put it well..
The correct way to start in the biz is to drive for someone for a bit...see if you even like it...better yet if the wife/kids like it...B4 you commit to a vehicle ..BUT driving a van for someone else and making any decent $$ is a hard thing to do..not saying it can not be done...just a tough order..

Good luck

tedohio

Active Expediter
The wife/kid thing never seems to work well with people on the road ...Turtle put it well..
The correct way to start in the biz is to drive for someone for a bit...see if you even like it...better yet if the wife/kids like it...B4 you commit to a vehicle ..BUT driving a van for someone else and making any decent $$ is a hard thing to do..not saying it can not be done...just a tough order..

Good luck

thanks. but shouldn't owning the vehicle help w the options. I assume that being a driver for smbody will not be too profitable as the van expedite does not make the same $$ as the semis?
my plan is to start by buying the van, getting my own authority(even thou i dont think u need filings for vans but not sure). and signing up w a carrier and bidding too on my own loads

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
thanks. but shouldn't owning the vehicle help w the options. I assume that being a driver for smbody will not be too profitable as the van expedite does not make the same $$ as the semis?
my plan is to start by buying the van, getting my own authority(even thou i dont think u need filings for vans but not sure). and signing up w a carrier and bidding too on my own loads

all ok...but what after 2 months you can not take 1 more minute because you realize being on the road living in a van like a homeless person ..sitting @ a truckstop in BFE for 5 days making $0 dollars while the wife is calling asking when will you be home ( and we need $$$$) ..and the transmission wont go into gear when you leave for the load you finally do get...
happens....
problem 2..there are ooodles...and ooodles of vans out here...

not too knowledgeable on the authority thing...
if your gung ho ...buy a inexpensive van ..sign on with a reputable co. not no namers and giver her a whirl...

make sure you have $5,000 EXTRA in the bank if you own a van...you will need it

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Correct. The revenue in a cargo van or Sprinter is simply not enough to split between an owner and a driver so that either one make any livable wage. With a van you are much better off owning your own and just doing it.

So, you're not going to heed my advice above and you're gonna do this anyway. OK. First, you don't need your own authority in a van, especially if you sign on with a carrier, because they already have their own authority. Second, unless you ALREADY KNOW where your freight is going to come from, you won't be bidding on your own loads at all. There aren't any loads out there to bid on for a cargo van, unless you ALREADY KNOW where to find them. There are no publicly accessible load boards for expedite cargo van freight.

If you're going to do this, you need to buy a van, and if it's a used one then have a mechanic go over it with a fine toothed comb and replace anything that's likely to fail within the first 6 months, then insulate it like crazy, outfit it for expediting, and sign on with a carrier and take everything they offer you for 6 months. At that point you'll begin to have an understanding as to how the industry works, which loads are good and which are bad, and where freight comes from.

Keep in mind that most people who enter expediting in a van or Sprinter are not in this business a year later. And it's because they are unprepared when they enter the business, either because they failed to secure a decent emergency fund before starting, or because they didn't understand the industry and it turned out to be very different from their expectations. For example, after all expenses including operating expenses and maintenance and repair, you're going to take home about $25,000 a year, and that's being out on the road for about 50 weeks a year (kiss your future ex-wife and soon-to-be single mom goodbye). The Rule of Thirds always applies. You already have a 50/50 feedback from current customers. The insurance cancellation rate for vans should give you a good headsup about the failure rate.

The situation of having kids at home is not one to lightly dismiss. When you're gone even three weeks at a time, your wife begins making decisions, right now, on the spot, that you two currently make together, including important decisions about the kids. Your role as a decision maker will become quickly marginalized. You're gone for three weeks, and during that time your wife is, in every way that matters, a single mom. Then you come home for a weekend or a week and want to step into the role of decision maker, head of the household, and you ain't it anymore. She makes a decision without consulting you, you don't like that, friction ensues, she looks forward to you getting your next load, lather rinse repeat three weeks later. Might as well line up a divorce lawyer right now. "Oh, no, that won't happen to us!" Yes it will.

Last edited:

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Have you thought about getting your cdl and going in a str8?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

tedohio

Active Expediter
Correct. The revenue in a cargo van or Sprinter is simply not enough to split between an owner and a driver so that either one make any livable wage. With a van you are much better off owning your own and just doing it.

So, you're not going to heed my advice above and you're gonna do this anyway. OK. First, you don't need your own authority in a van, especially if you sign on with a carrier, because they already have their own authority. Second, unless you ALREADY KNOW where your freight is going to come from, you won't be bidding on your own loads at all. There aren't any loads out there to bid on for a cargo van, unless you ALREADY KNOW where to find them. There are no publicly accessible load boards for expedite cargo van freight.

If you're going to do this, you need to buy a van, and if it's a used one then have a mechanic go over it with a fine toothed comb and replace anything that's likely to fail within the first 6 months, then insulate it like crazy, outfit it for expediting, and sign on with a carrier and take everything they offer you for 6 months. At that point you'll begin to have an understanding as to how the industry works, which loads are good and which are bad, and where freight comes from.

Keep in mind that most people who enter expediting in a van or Sprinter are not in this business a year later. And it's because they are unprepared when they enter the business, either because they failed to secure a decent emergency fund before starting, or because they didn't understand the industry and it turned out to be very different from their expectations. For example, after all expenses including operating expenses and maintenance and repair, you're going to take home about $25,000 a year, and that's being out on the road for about 50 weeks a year (kiss your future ex-wife and soon-to-be single mom goodbye). The Rule of Thirds always applies. You already have a 50/50 feedback from current customers. The insurance cancellation rate for vans should give you a good headsup about the failure rate.

The situation of having kids at home is not one to lightly dismiss. When you're gone even three weeks at a time, your wife begins making decisions, right now, on the spot, that you two currently make together, including important decisions about the kids. Your role as a decision maker will become quickly marginalized. You're gone for three weeks, and during that time your wife is, in every way that matters, a single mom. Then you come home for a weekend or a week and want to step into the role of decision maker, head of the household, and you ain't it anymore. She makes a decision without consulting you, you don't like that, friction ensues, she looks forward to you getting your next load, lather rinse repeat three weeks later. Might as well line up a divorce lawyer right now. "Oh, no, that won't happen to us!" Yes it will.

do not think i dont appreciate ur advice. I must say that the tone of this post has already made myself think twice about it. It reminds me about my brother asking me about insurance and I made him change he's mind quickly. but thinking later about the way I portrayed the industry even thou accurate it was pessimistic and mostly bc I lived to learn taht the real $$ is w the large business owners(in this case carrier or fleet owners). But my disappointment ended up transpiring into the advice. I think its a little bit the case here. The more time u spend in a industry the more u see and know and the more disillusioned you become. and its the illusion of better life that keeps us moving forward
See my hope was that I can take one or two one day there one day back load a week and minimize the weeks gone at a time.
I am not that sure that would work anymore. And maybe thats a good thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
See my hope was that I can take one or two one day there one day back load a week and minimize the weeks gone at a time.
We're just giving you things to consider. The thing is, you really need to be out 3 weeks minimum at a time, then home for a few days, then right back out. And in a van you sit enough days as it is, so you can't be overly choosy about your loads and where they are going. This isn't like general trucking where there are enough loads on the bod boards so you can pick and choose where you want to go. You have to go where the freight goes. If you start trying to pick and choose amongst expedite loads, you'll be doing great to get more than 3 or 4 loads a month.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
do not think i dont appreciate ur advice. I must say that the tone of this post has already made myself think twice about it. It reminds me about my brother asking me about insurance and I made him change he's mind quickly. but thinking later about the way I portrayed the industry even thou accurate it was pessimistic and mostly bc I lived to learn taht the real $$ is w the large business owners(in this case carrier or fleet owners). But my disappointment ended up transpiring into the advice. I think its a little bit the case here. The more time u spend in a industry the more u see and know and the more disillusioned you become. and its the illusion of better life that keeps us moving forward

Ummm...no. And as a fleet owner, we aren't cashing in on vans. That is why we don't have any.

tedohio

Active Expediter
Ummm...no. And as a fleet owner, we aren't cashing in on vans. That is why we don't have any.

I was not ref to vans.but i know a few guys making $$ in the expedite too.as long as u find a cheap good driver u have a chance.finding and keeping them is their issue

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Have you thought about getting your cdl and going in a str8?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

People seem to be giving you good advice especialy about vans not being so great as far as paydays. Getting a class B cdl would be the thing to do. Find a carrier who needs you to team up and drive with someone.

Living in Ohio the good news is you'ld probaly be around home a decent amount so the wife and kids don't forget who you are. The paychecks would also be very much higher and that always makes life easier on everyone involved. There is a lot of things that will change as Turtle stated.

I'd really look into the class B CDL more money and less then buying a van would involve. Whatever you choose good luck to you.