No experience but good everthng else

tedohio

Active Expediter
hi folks and thanks for being a part of this.
I am a future former insurance agent that would like to buy a van and do expediting. I have a few kids and a stay at home wife and i cant be lounging while looking for work.i picked this as i have been insuring lots of them and even thou is 50/50 in terms of feedback from my costumers i have to give it a try
I have no transportation experience but a clean driv record, good credit and i would like to think that i can communicate well w other pips.
Would a Co like Bolt hire me? I would have my own van.
Thanks for all the advices and do know i am not friends w xerses(sorry but i had to say that)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Well, she's a guy.

First thing on the list of things you hope you never say as a newbie. LOL.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Somebody ought to help the OP at some point.

I've never done the CV thing so I can't help much.

What kind of net income do you need/ expect ?
You do realize the I/C concept of no benefits, paid on a 1099, etc ?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My son's name is Jacob and he had a shirt made up with State Farm and Jake on it. It didn't arrive in time for the party he was going to wear it to...

To the OP, as you continue your research you'll probably find discussions about what van drivers make. I suspect that you'll find it to be tough to support kids and a stay at home wife on that kind of money.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ted, also read up on the lifestyle.
If you were a Deadhead in an earlier life, and you yearn for that again, it may work.

It's fun/exciting/profitable to some.
Those are all relative terms.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cleveland is probably a pretty good location to be an expeditor.

Another good thing is on the road, you probably won't see many Brown's games. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You will never make enough money in a van to support a stay-at-home-mom and kids. You will, however, make enough to turn her into your future ex-wife into single mother looking for work.

tedohio

Active Expediter
@noneya.would u be kind and elaborate.if u say that and want to give me a good advice u be good and offer an alternative

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi, neighbor!
If you're not in too big a hurry, [and this is a slooow time for expedite], you should attend an 'EO University' seminar. They're extremely informative, and fun, and , oh yeah: free, lol.
Click on the banner at the top of your screen, there's one in Cleveland in May.
Until then, read the Newbies FAQ, talk to van drivers wherever you find them [Exit 209 on 71 @ the TA is usually good for a few], and maybe even call some carrier recruiters to ask what you need to have & do to get on board.
Like Turtle said, though: you can't support a family on what you'll clear driving a cargo van, really.

tedohio

Active Expediter
Dont really expect this to be my next 20year job but i got to do what i got to do.thats the way i look at things in life.was not born in a palace and i can handle rough espec if i have to take care of my family.so far most of the replies sound like bored operators having fun.a few like smbdy that wants no competition and the ones i was looking for and i thank for.
When smbdy asks me for help i share my experience and any thought i might think can be useful.i am still hopeing for that here
1)would a carrier hire smbody w/out transportation experience but no other laibilities
2)what would be an average monthly income in the industry.net or gross
3)leasing to a carrier vs. bidding ur loads(and how u do that?)
Thanks again and pls add to it

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dont really expect this to be my next 20year job but i got to do what i got to do.thats the way i look at things in life.was not born in a palace and i can handle rough espec if i have to take care of my family.so far most of the replies sound like bored operators having fun.a few like smbdy that wants no competition and the ones i was looking for and i thank for.
When smbdy asks me for help i share my experience and any thought i might think can be useful.i am still hopeing for that here
1)would a carrier hire smbody w/out transportation experience but no other laibilities
2)what would be an average monthly income in the industry.net or gross
3)leasing to a carrier vs. bidding ur loads(and how u do that?)
Thanks again and pls add to it

1) Yes, some carriers would, esp in a cargo van - that's why I suggested you call some recruiters.
2) Impossible to answer. Depends on too many variables, some you control [expenses, driving habits, maintenance] some you don't [loads offered, insurance rates, weekly deductions] to even make an estimate. Generally, enough to keep one person [or two] going, but not enough to cover home and family expenses as well as on the road expenses. You may do a lot better, but not many do, really. Rates just aren't high enough to cover everything, and that's the truth.
3) Unless you know a fair amount about the business of expediting, bidding on your own loads is doing a second job, while picking up and delivering those loads. [You do it by getting your own authority, but if you don't know even that much, you're in way over your head already.] For the average newbie, just learning when to accept a load and where to layover & when to deadhead is enough of a challenge - bidding on loads is going too far, too fast, IMO. If you want to get your own authority later, there's time to learn what it involves then.
Even in expediting, slow & steady wins the race: good advice from a wise old [I'm gonna pay for that one, lol] Turtle.

noneya

Active Expediter
@noneya.would u be kind and elaborate.if u say that and want to give me a good advice u be good and offer an alternative

I said it because bolt will low ball you on the rates and the hardly pay you for dh even if it's over the first 50 free miles. I hear load1 and landstar are good and drivers are happy.

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!