nextel phones...........

randy123

Expert Expediter
RANDYhi all, i just got my new nextel phones last week..........
i was in auburn ind and my phone did not work, did not work till i got 60 miles from home, i have nationwide direct connect and walkie talkie, i am new to cell phones and this one sucks. one of the other drivers has a nextel and he can talk all over at anytime... i call nextel and thay tell me that in some places thay have no service, well i have tried this thing in three states and it does not work till i get close to home....it will say no service on the phone.
anybody else got this problem... or can you tell me what phone works all over the states thanks randy

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been with Nextel for over 6 years. I can tell you that coverage has vastly improved. The intersates are covered well and Auburn should be O.K. I would call them and have them make sure your phone has been properly activated. I had a problem with that when I first got my phone. If that does'nt help, tell them you want to try a different phone. Maybe you got a bad one.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have nextel with egl and if i go into nc and a few other places it doesn't work there getting better sometime in next few months when sprint and nextel firgure how to make there system work side by side it will be great, but it waitting for this to happen, i have friends that have nextel in other area's nice just to click and talk

randy123

Expert Expediter
RANDY

I HAD THEM SEND 2 PHONES AND WILL TRY THE OTHER ONE WHEN I GO OUT AGAIN.... IT MIGHT BE THE PHONE. I JUST HATED NOT GETTING MY CALL WHILE ON THE ROAD....RANDY

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Like he said, plus some fone companies will allow you to cancel if the service is not good for the areas you travel. I'm guessing you have 30 days, but if you check with Nextel you'll know where you stand. You may be stuck with the service for the duration of your contract unles you pay a healthy ealy cancellation fee.

Good cell service is a must in this business, so don't settle for anything that doesn't serve you well. As far as what phone works everywhere? I'm afraid you're out of luck there, 'cause none are perfect everywhere. This has been disputed in the forum many times in the past. We have Cingular and it's touted as the very best (by Cingular) but there are many dry spots and, since the merger with ATT, we have gotten a lot of dropped calls, even when a good signal available by both parties.

Terry

randy123

Expert Expediter
RANDY
i love the walkie talkie but if it doesent work its no good to me...i called and thay told me i had 15 days to send them back if i was unhappy with the phones....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think the only way to have almost reliable cellular service is to have 2 different phones with 2 different companies so that when one is out of service the other will have service. Probably the largest coverage would be Verizon/Cingular followed by V/Sprint or C/Sprint.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
If you're not happy w/ your Nextel, you can switch to Sprint at no charge, no fees, or anything. I have Nextel & it's service is brutal. I don't go back to Sprint because our company wants us to have Nextel.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

bcurt

Expert Expediter
Try powering phone down ( off ), I have to do this once a week with mine ( Nextel ).. or it acts up... Check Nextel or Sprints web-site look under service areas or tower locations .. Yes, there are a lot of no service areas no matter who you are with... bcurt

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
I have Nextel and it works anytime Im close to an interstate except in mountainous areas.I have the same problem when ever I get a new phone from them.Take the phone back and have them redo it.Press your voice mail button and when it starts to dail check to make sure there is a 1 at the beginning of your number.If not you have a local area only system and they can easily change that at the store.Good luck and hope that helps.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
IMO! Nextel fones (phones) are junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't use them again even if they were the last fone company on this earth.

To DannyD, if your company insists you have a Nextel, tell them you aren't paying for a fone and getting locked into a contract with a company who doesn't provide proper service. Ask them to buy the fone and ask them to lock into a contract. Verizon also has PTT ability and are much better than Nextel. This is my personal experience, it is a suggestion!

I have Verizon for a little over 2 years, with PTT ability for 6 months, haven't had any problems yet, and have had service all around PA, even up on I80 where the Nextel will not work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>IMO! Nextel fones (phones) are
>junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>I wouldn't use them again even if they were the last fone
>company on this earth.

Ok I heard about this and never really thought about it, but any carrier to tell me that I need to have a specific phone I will not deal with. They can’t tell me what phone get, contractor 101. I must have a reliable communications device, period. Nextel, Sprint, Singular or what ever are all acceptable to me, as long as my carrier can contact me.

I have singular right now, I don’t like them. When I call my wife, I am told her phone is unavailable, this has happened when we were sitting next to each other among the 20 or so times while I was on the road. AT&T no problems, were with them four years and never even had a dropped call in my area.

Nextel was always a problem, bad coverage and that d**n annoying beep-beep. Sitting in a restaurant and trying to have a good quiet meal, all having it ruined by some idiot behind us who has the volume turned up all the way talking to his bud about some stupid night they had getting trashed. We had tried to work with Nextel in Ann Arbor, two thousand phones, poor signal and no tower, what a joke. They forced the company to pay for the tower and we come to find out that Nextel didn’t even put it up, they sub-leased it from AT&T. No real improvement on the signal.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My company requires Nextel. The trade-off is no Qualcomm, a wortwhile trade in my opinion. I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm pleased with them. It's not perfect, but none of them are. I'm considering a second phone so the "Bat Phone" can stay free for work. My short list right now is Cingular and Alltel. Both of these are because of knowing people that I would use the free mobile to mobile minutes with.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>My company requires Nextel. The trade-off is no Qualcomm, a
>wortwhile trade in my opinion. I'm going to go against the
>grain and say that I'm pleased with them. It's not perfect,
>but none of them are. I'm considering a second phone so the
>"Bat Phone" can stay free for work. My short list right now
>is Cingular and Alltel. Both of these are because of knowing
>people that I would use the free mobile to mobile minutes
>with.

I am wondering what the advantage is with Nextel outside of the two way feature. I mean a phone is a phone and a call is a call, communications is just that - communications. It is what you select that fits your needs, not the companies needs that matter. I used the two way functions and found it is rather archaic at best, especially with the now a days.

Reducing long distance cost today is like reducing the cost of filling your tires, air is available for free - you have to look around for it.

I like Leo's suggestion, two carriers for those nasty coverage problems.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would gladly go with any cellular company my carrier required if it meant no Qualcomm. I've never heard of a carrier requiring a specific cellular company except when they also don't kill you with QC. You could get a cellular plan with more minutes than you'd ever use for $80 a month or $18.50 a week compared to QC charges of $35 a week by most carriers. On top of that, you have to have a cell phone anyway so it's a win-win situation. Since you have to have a cell phone anyway and are probably already paying as much as you'd have to pay for the company suggested phone you'd save about $1500 a year. I'm guessing the ones that require Nextel are doing so for the GPS function built into the phone. I don't know if I'd use the routing service they offer but I'd sure be glad to get rid of that stupid QC and save the money if that was how my company worked.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Nextel is overpriced junk and poor service!!!!! I had Nextel for a one year contract. I just couldn't wait to get rid of it. More times than not I had no coverage.

For the past 2 yrs I've used a prepaid service called Virgin Mobile which contracts on the Sprint towers. I put a "Smooth Talker" booster and antenna on it. I have coverage in most of the US and the populated parts of Canada. Best cell service I have ever had.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The walkie-talkie is a little bit quicker. If they want to bid on something, they scroll to my name and push the button. Then I can tell them, "Of course! Puh-leeze, I want to work, not just sit here!" It's good for unlimited use too. I have several friends on it and I have racked up over 30 hours on it many times.