newbie looking for advise

karp01

Active Expediter
Hi everyone.I am currently working the courior route and doing ok.I am purchasing a CV and trying to break in with minimal mistakes.I have been reading here for about a month now and have learned a lot.
My question is what can I expect for a per mile rate? I have been offered 1 per but from reading in here and basic math doesn't seem like the right amount.Am I wrong? I understand that distance makes a difference but 200 mile runs seems like the truck wouldn't make enough to sustain once expenses are paid
I live just outside of Chicago and would like to make Expediting a career move.I understand the commitment it takes to be successfull but I also whant whats fair as far as dollars.
Any advise would be helpfull

Larry

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that $1 per mile for a CV?

and you live in a good freight area...and what is so bad about a 200 mile run at $1? I don't see your concern...

karp01

Active Expediter
Yes it is for a CV I was quoted 1 per mile to run to indy for example i am guessing that fifty in fuel maybe more to get their and at this time he doesn't have any other loads to anywhere so I would foot the bill home.As I said I am new so just trying to get the best information possible.
Thanks for your responce and help

Larry

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would work better if you could double up loads at times...it is an easy run....depending on your fuel mileage...

lhannah

Active Expediter
Hi everyone.I am currently working the courior route and doing ok.I am purchasing a CV and trying to break in with minimal mistakes.I have been reading here for about a month now and have learned a lot.
My question is what can I expect for a per mile rate? I have been offered 1 per but from reading in here and basic math doesn't seem like the right amount.Am I wrong? I understand that distance makes a difference but 200 mile runs seems like the truck wouldn't make enough to sustain once expenses are paid
I live just outside of Chicago and would like to make Expediting a career move.I understand the commitment it takes to be successfull but I also whant whats fair as far as dollars.
Any advise would be helpfull

Larry

Are you concerned about being home at night?

Is the $1 per mile paid on your return trip to chicago?

How frequently will these Indy runs be available?

These things should greatly influence your decision. If you don't care about home time then there are longer better paying loads out there. If you aren't getting paid for your return trip then you are really only making .50 a mile. If you could make that run with a return trip everyday then you would have a good setup.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Even if you come home empty from Indi every day, you will still make at least 500 a week after fuel. You can also look at it this way, you get a 50 cent per mile mileage deduction. If you come home empty, you will have 100 percent write off on all of your mileage, which will save you $ on your taxes. Another deal is if you can get paid a little more than a dollar a mile on one way trips to help offset any empty miles that you may drive home. Or you can add a few more companies to your list and try and get you some backhauls. This is just my two cents!

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
$1 a mile for a CV is fair and reasonable on the part of the shipper. Coming back home empty on your part is cutting into your profit big time. If this is the scenario of every load you haul, you can't survive. Or if you do, it will be a break even type thing. I try to get home every weekend, but I don't move empty during the week. I can stand once a week coming home. Plus my expectations and needs are probably different than yours. Thankfully, I am debt free and it doesn't take as much for me to survive.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I keep track of my rate with the deadhead included. In recent days this means I've been getting in the range of .70-.90 per mile. If you plan to run home after every run, your numbers would look entirely different, because I'm out here following the freight.

The next thing you need to do is estimate how much it is going to cost to operate your vehicle per mile that you run. Then you can compare the money going out to the money coming in.

eb

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
No offence but it sounds like your looking for a Dedicated run and not Expedited Freight. I think you will be hard pressed to find a post here where the driver or O\O goes home each night.

karp01

Active Expediter
I was not looking to be home every night....that is what was offered to me at this time.
The loads were not paying to drive home so I figured it would cut into prophits deeply.
This was my first offer and I also figured i could use it as a learning curve to get started and expand from their.
I am basically debt free and I am willing to stay out for most leghts of time as long as it makes sence and I am making money.
My business plan is to have 3-4 CV's on the road by this time next year.we will see
Thanks again for the help

Larry

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Good for you. I wish you all the luck in the world. Work hard and read\listen to the successful O\O on here.;)

karp01

Active Expediter
thats the plan...spend a year figuring things out.I have been a business owner most of my life.I enjoy the challenges both up and hopefully not so many downs...thanks for the advise

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to the world of expediting. All I can tell you is this... You have to figure out what it is going to cost you to run per mile and then figure out what you have to make to make it profitable. Some people can make 75 cents per mile and make a profit and some people can do it for less or more. It all depends on expenses, truck payments, ect..