Newbie looking for advice.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Quite a few (not all) will take a new team on and pay them the same as the experienced. I am talking specifically expediting. Solos....not so much. Based on your information, probably better off with a decent smaller fleet owner that can pay them more and give them better individual attention. Most fleet owners aren't handling 50 plus trucks.
But you are correct, most do pay better than what you describe.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Quite a few (not all) will take a new team on and pay them the same as the experienced. I am talking specifically expediting. Solos....not so much. Based on your information, probably better off with a decent smaller fleet owner that can pay them more and give them better individual attention. Most fleet owners aren't handling 50 plus trucks.
But you are correct, most do pay better than what you describe.

Certainly something to consider. I don't have any experience with any smaller fleet owners and can't compare ES to them. I would be open to learning who these smaller fleet owners are as I'm sure most people would. Im o/o now, but when I was looking into it people in the classifieds were not considering my team because we are not a h/w team.

The only 3 fleets I know of is yours, mayfield and ES and ES is the only one that does FDCC. I know there are more but I haven't been able to find them.

Also, we did receive any assistance or help or guidance we asked for at ES. We were free to call about each load and ask for advice. They were super approachable and if your person was unavailable there were other people that would help you out. You weren't strictly limited to just your fleet manager. Plus they have a different person handling repairs/maint that was available 24/7 and a separate department handling billing and settlements so that takes a lot off the fleet manager.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You will have some limitations if say you are doing a team with two different people. You are correct in that I don't hire people in that pool but there are some that do and have a truck with two beds. All of our trucks are more of a custom variety and have one large bed instead of two. Some searching here on EO will flush out some of the good ones that fit your criteria.
Take my word for it, it is a big pool.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Everyone does team with two different people, Dave.

Except some young boys losing their virginity.

I think you meant a non-same household team.

Occasionally you meet a team and both, even if married , seem " different".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Everyone does team with two different people, Dave.

Except some young boys losing their virginity.

I think you meant a non-same household team.

Occasionally you meet a team and both, even if married , seem " different".

For us.....one better like sleeping in the same bed. Granted the bed is large, but it is only has one in the truck.

Mniesen89

Rookie Expediter
Does FECC pay a flat rate if you have hazmat on every load you take or only hazmat loads? Also, what other clearances should I look into that will make ,e more money per mile?

thanks again for all the help!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Does FECC pay a flat rate if you have hazmat on every load you take or only hazmat loads? Also, what other clearances should I look into that will make ,e more money per mile?

Just playing devil's advocate here: if your truck is paid a higher rate due to the qualifications/credentials you have obtained, will you be 'held' for loads that require those qualifications, while lesser paid trucks are dispatched on loads you also could have done?
I have no evidence that carriers do that, [except that when I had a FAST card, I rarely got loads that didn't go to Canada] but it would certainly lower their costs, at your expense.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Hazmat only pays when u work a hazmat load.

I never was held for a load at ES. I have been since I have been an o/o. Maybe ES has a deal with the fed?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

Not only do you need to consider rate/ mile but hazmat and any other clearance you can get will also help keep your truck busy. If your in a bad freight area with 4 other trucks and a haz load comes up and your the only haz certified truck you get the load even if someone was there before you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just playing devil's advocate here: if your truck is paid a higher rate due to the qualifications/credentials you have obtained, will you be 'held' for loads that require those qualifications, while lesser paid trucks are dispatched on loads you also could have done?
I have no evidence that carriers do that, [except that when I had a FAST card, I rarely got loads that didn't go to Canada] but it would certainly lower their costs, at your expense.

I believe over at Fedex it is putting a "lock" on someones truck to hold them for a customer whether they need the truck or not. There is some threads relating to that with a search.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe over at Fedex it is putting a "lock" on someones truck to hold them for a customer whether they need the truck or not. There is some threads relating to that with a search.
Yes that is true. We aren`t asked if we want it, nor are we compensated for it. Fortunately it is rare. (For me at least)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes that is true. We aren`t asked if we want it, nor are we compensated for it. Fortunately it is rare. (For me at least)

Logic would say the more credentials and or items on the truck like a reefer or liftgate the more prone you would be to that or they could use any truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yes they do, but they can override them. The truck can also ask to have them removed, and even put on in come cases. We sometimes like them because it at least slows down the number of BS loads we have to turn down. I don't see them used as much as they once were, but that could just be our experience.