New York Times - Trucking Solutions Group

moose

Veteran Expediter
& you are proud to be a part of this ? , WHY ?

this NYT piece is nothing more then a revolving door spinner .
unfit experience truckers are amongst the safest drivers industry wide .

on a side note : dose being overweight increase insurance costs, as mention ?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am proud of what our group is doing as we have no hidden agenda nor or we trying to make money off of drivers. Any exposure we can get will help what we are trying to do with our walks, blood drives as well as our future projects.

We are a group of drivers supporting other drivers to get healthy if they wish for no other reason.

The people who are in the article that I know of are making money off of drivers are trying to sell something we are the only ones that I saw in the article that are just in it to share what we are learning.

Yes I believe their insurance is higher as people who are over weight often have health problems and if they do not have them now they will have them and the insurance industry recognizes this.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I can sympathize with those drivers but isn't it nice all the positive write-ups that our industry gets.
I feel for the big guy. After 40 years on the road my weight went from 180 in 1969 when I started to 280pds a year ago. My blood pressure went from perfect to last year being 140+ over 90 to what is now 116/60. I cut out all the booze and beer :eek: Cut out almost all meat and concintrate on plant based foods. I've only lost 35pds but feel a whole lot better. I also think my dog as a lot to do with it. He's my alarm clock in the morning, "Get up and walk me or else". Great motivator. I enjoy waking to his stare in the morning from the side of the bed, beats the cream and curlers :rolleyes: but a good friend anyway.
I would just love to see more positive articles on the lives of truckers. And that's a hard thing to do nowadays with the younger drivers and farout attitudes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I realized that Moose just wanted to point out that we are NOT a not for profit group and that we do not now or in the future plan on charging for anything we are involved in.

As a small group of drivers I am proud of the fact that our efforts are getting noticed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I realized that Moose just wanted to point out that we are NOT a not for profit group and that we do not now or in the future plan on charging for anything we are involved in.

As a small group of drivers I am proud of the fact that our efforts are getting noticed.

You have good reason to be proud, of your own efforts as well as the group's.
As everyone knows, trucking is a lifestyle that promotes obesity: long sedentary hours, too much 'brown food' [deep fried], too little nutrition, not enough attention paid to food preparation onboard, drivers who are too tired to exercise in the time available - the list goes on & on.
But the bottom line is that being healthy, eating for nutrition, getting exercise - they're all choices that have to be made first, then the ways are found to get it done. Like the driver who exercises by lifting his ice chest: use what you got, lol.
We can blame everything and everyone else, but if we really want to be healthy, it's up to each of us to make it happen.
So - anyone got any nutritious recipes for my new Cupcake maker? ;)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri I think you should bring your cupcake maker to MATS and we should all experiment with ways to make healthy cupcakes.... I am sure we can eat our mistakes till we figure it out.

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Congradulations to you and we need all the help we can get and yes there are healthy ideas out there so much you can do to help keep the weight off. Cooking in the truck for starters instead of eating out is always a plus would love to see more ideas of cooking where is Chef Dennis?? We do alot of fruit, cheese and celery and carrots to nibbble on while ya drive. Make your own trail mix> Anyway cuddos to you and keep up the good work!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is not easy to stay healthy on the road and as part of a team we find it difficult to get in time to exercise. This year has really been difficult as we have been running hard and mostly on loads that require dual driver protection which means no getting out and going for a stroll.

When I first started driving I used sugar snacks to keep me awake and if I had still been a smoker and I can only imagine how many packs of cigarettes I would go through. i have since learned those sugar snacks are what were keeping me tired. When I need something to do with my hands I now reach for pumpkin seeds in the shell as they are a pain to eat and take much more time than a sunflower seed. I have also found that fruit works better then caffein.

I still enjoy coffee and have a Kuerig travel coffee pot in the truck and fill up my travel mug once a day. I buy Revolution Tea bags and add one to a bottle of cold water and drink that through out the day.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Skip the frosting :p

Buzzkill! :eek:
OK, I won't frost the muffins, but I'm not compromising on the cupcakes, no way, Jose. :D
And I will bring it to MATS [if I get there] and find some healthy/nutritious recipes for muffins in the meantime - surely there are some somewhere.....