New ways to make $$$ with you van.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since we all know that expediting is dead. (That's why you don't see any new companies getting started). I was thinking all you van drivers should jump to other professions. Since the chicken population is down due to the bird flu. Some one out there could be the next chicken baron smuggling chickens into effected areas. Maybe some of you could turn your van into hotdog carts or start a new trend selling kale, sprouts, cucumber sandwiches. A few more could put some lawn chairs in the back of the van and be uber drivers. If you can sew, start a mobile service that makes black hoods with eye holes that don't twist when you throw a rock or bottle, and sell them at peaceful protests. There might be an international market for these. Black is getting boring so try different colors. In a couple or three years you too could be living in Cabo. (Gotta get a run soon, starting to lose it).

mike45armyvet

New Recruit
Since we all know that expediting is dead. (That's why you don't see any new companies getting started). I was thinking all you van drivers should jump to other professions. Since the chicken population is down due to the bird flu. Some one out there could be the next chicken baron smuggling chickens into effected areas. Maybe some of you could turn your van into hotdog carts or start a new trend selling kale, sprouts, cucumber sandwiches. A few more could put some lawn chairs in the back of the van and be uber drivers. If you can sew, start a mobile service that makes black hoods with eye holes that don't twist when you throw a rock or bottle, and sell them at peaceful protests. There might be an international market for these. Black is getting boring so try different colors. In a couple or three years you too could be living in Cabo. (Gotta get a run soon, starting to lose it).
Those are some great ideas....I have found putting a sign in the window stating "Available for Hire" gets you lots of local work while waiting for that next dispatch. However it also draws the attention of the local law enforcement when they see the bed with the mink blanket in the back....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the long, tall vans could possibly be converted into a more maneuverable, economical to operate, food truck.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Those are some great ideas....I have found putting a sign in the window stating "Available for Hire" gets you lots of local work while waiting for that next dispatch. However it also draws the attention of the local law enforcement when they see the bed with the mink blanket in the back....
Works good at home Depot or lowes

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was thinking of using my van as a sort of private shuttle service to take kids to kid-friendly places, like museums, the library, movie theaters, comic book stores, and other places. I could drive by schools and parks and talk to the kids to let them know of the service. Maybe have plenty of candy on hand to keep the kids happy for the ride.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was thinking of using my van as a sort of private shuttle service to take kids to kid-friendly places, like museums, the library, movie theaters, comic book stores, and other places. I could drive by schools and parks and talk to the kids to let them know of the service. Maybe have plenty of candy on hand to keep the kids happy for the ride.
1325-free-candy-van-this-seems-legit-image.png

Reactions: robh2

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd say move up to a ST or a Tractor. Too many vans out there.

I agree.

It's good to know that you can always count on the backbones of the transportation industry that will always be there.

But for extra incomes, I would use my van to do mobile oil change services.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one could've said it better. One thing tho. Expediting has been dead for years. It was once a profitable business, now it's almost survival, from one pay until another. If your retired and your doing this as additional income then it could work, if your trying pay mortgage and make money your in the wrong place.

I love the fact I learned every aspect of painting business, and right now I am running a pretty successful business of my own. Home every night, and income has drastically increased.

I do have a lot of love for the road. I miss it a lot some days I would want to get in my van and cruise.

But you do what you gotta do.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Loading my old Harley..transporting it (neighbors thought I was incapable of accomplishing this safely, but I did it just fine....slowlyyyy...put it up on it's center stand and load-strapped it)
...Or pulling up a hedge of Yews to open up my backyard more.
Couldn't make enough money doing either but my Sprinter helped me execute both! Haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Reactions: Turtle

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Loading my old Harley..transporting it (neighbors thought I was incapable of accomplishing this safely, but I did it just fine....slowlyyyy...put it up on it's center stand and load-strapped it)
...Or pulling up a hedge of Yews to open up my backyard more.
Couldn't make enough money doing either but my Sprinter helped me execute both! Haha
I've had a buddies Goldwing and quad in the Promaster. Quad fit through the slider door.