New trucks & antigel

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reading the manual for a new DD13 motor and it says not to use additives in fuel or oil. What are people with the new motors doing in the cold weather to prevent gelling?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Does it have a fuel heater installed?

Do you have an apu that runs when the main engine is off?

The problem with additives in new engines is that these additives will emulsify water into the fuel, which defeats the fuel/water separator. When water, even a tiny bit, hits the injector tip it explosively turns to steam. Microscopic bits of metal are removed in the process.

If there's water already in the fuel system, drain everything and get it out. No engine ever complained about fresh fuel filters either. Some #1 diesel mixed with #2 helps, along with avoiding biodiesel in extreme cold. If you know you will hit extreme temps, antigel is ok to use, just treat the fuel at the minimum amout needed. Keeping the apu running will also keep the tank from gelling up.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A little off topic, but, last winter I was more concerned with DEF freezing than fuel gelling. I did use a small amount of anti-gel just to be safe and I did not have any problems.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I think it may depend on what you add, Howes Lubricator seems to address the concerns of our resident mechanic and should be safe.

The issue is fueling south and running north in the winter, if you only purchased fuel up north wouldn't be an issue as it is winterized at the point of sale.

TS

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it may depend on what you add, Howes Lubricator seems to address the concerns of our resident mechanic and should be safe.

The issue is fueling south and running north in the winter, if you only purchased fuel up north wouldn't be an issue as it is winterized at the point of sale.

TS
I might want to argue a bit about that last sentence. I live up North--- I'm a suburbanite near Chicago-- and more than once I bought "winterized" diesel fuel that gelled so the Sprinter wouldn't start next morning. Better put some anti-gel in there unless you have a way to keep the fuel-tank heated.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Point taken, I think some distributors probably do a better job than others AND there are different winter blends. One regional CFN distributor has three blends as follows depending on how much D1 and/or or additive is in the blend:

Blend #1: +0 cloud point, -10 cold filter plug point, -20 pour point
Blend #2: -5 cloud point, -15 cold filter plug point, and -25 pour point
Blend #3: -10 cloud point, -20 cold filter plug point, and -30 pour point

These different blends generally are offered from 1->3 as the latitude increases all the way to the Canadian border.

I always add anti gel in cold weather, better safe than sorry, BUT if the bulk plant is getting blended correctly AND the temperature doesn't suddenly go lower, usually you would be OK and may be wasting your $$$.

TS

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We do have an apu that will be running. It uses the trucks coolant so it will be warm and draws diesel fuel from the trucks tanks but not sure that would be enough to keep from gelling?

adamhoude88

New Recruit
Mechanic
Running an additive will not harm anything it could save you a lot of problems on a cold day. I would stay away from Howes additive. There are much better products out there

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We use both and carry a bottle of 911 just in case a truck starts losing power when it is extreme. I agree, water already in the tank or buying fuel in the south and traveling north are the biggest culprits. A cap full of alcohol in each tank will keep some of it at bay. States like IN, IL, MN are some of the worst because of the high bio content. That is usually marked on the pump. I have a friend in WI that invested 1M in tow trucks just to get frozen trucks coming out of IL. With the majority coming from Hampshire, IL. Made a killing last year on frozen trucks.
Often times you can take the fuel cap off and look inside the cap. If it is all frosty, you are living on the edge. ;)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The boys at espar of Michigan say people who use Howes seem to have more problems with their espar than the power service people.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The boys at espar of Michigan say people who use Howes seem to have more problems with their espar than the power service people.
That good to know as I use power service and am having the new Espar installed next week!

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anti-gel = Cheapest insurance you can buy Pretty simple math really. We switched from Howes to Power Service last winter at the recommendation of the service manager at our local KW shop To the earlier poster who referred adding anti-gel to DEF ... Bad idea ... Corrupting the urea concentration level could damage the system. You should have a heating element in the DEF tank.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anti-gel = Cheapest insurance you can buy Pretty simple math really. We switched from Howes to Power Service last winter at the recommendation of the service manager at our local KW shop To the earlier poster who referred adding anti-gel to DEF ... Bad idea ... Corrupting the urea concentration level could damage the system. You should have a heating element in the DEF tank.
Who put anti gel in DEF fluid?
Agree, bad idea.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A little off topic, but, last winter I was more concerned with DEF freezing than fuel gelling. I did use a small amount of anti-gel just to be safe and I did not have any problems.
You need to change the def filter, if it has one. Nothing but def should ever be put in there.

The Def tank, injector, and lines are heated or insulated. Don't worry about that system.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to change the def filter, if it has one. Nothing but def should ever be put in there.

The Def tank, injector, and lines are heated or insulated. Don't worry about that system.
A little misunderstanding, I used anti gel in the diesel fuel tanks, not DEF tank. I just stated that I was more concerned with DEF freezing in winter than diesel fuel gelling.
DEF freezing seemed like a concern when the truck engine is not running for the DEF heater to do its job.