new to this stuff

easyduzit

Seasoned Expediter
hi people, im a 10yr o/o (big rig). thinking about a possible change out of boredom. i know the premise behind "expedite" as far as got to go NOW!! lots of overnite driving.

im wondering if a guy can make a go of it by driving more normal hours? say between 7am and 2am? also im under the impression 99% of your freight is automotive, true? what else do you haul?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If you think your bored now, you will learn what boredom really is as a expedite O/O. You can make a great living running the daylight hours as long as your codriver is willing to run the night time runs:D

It used to be 99% automotive but is not near that high depending on your Carrier.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We haul very little automotive. Boredom is the number one problem it seems as if from someone coming from big trucks to the expedite arena. Research long as hard if you are going to try and run solo.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
As a solo, I drive thru the night on about 80% of my runs. I average about a day between runs. Boredom only hits me when I run out of computer games. LOL

Such is life when you're relying on a dispatcher. ;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I run solo straight truck. I've modified my routine to sleep 0300-1100 logbook time. I'll try to take a nap if I'm not on a run by late afternoon but that doesn't often work. I rarely take runs that require being awake all night long. Most all my runs don't fall into that category. As a solo I usually can get to the destination by the wee hours and go to sleep within an hour or so of my usual time. I probably turn down about 3% because they are 2000-0800 or something similar. I won't risk myself or anyone else by doing that and possibly falling asleep. Good luck.

easyduzit

Seasoned Expediter
im leaning towards a cargo van, drive solo. would like to stay mn.,wi.,il.,in.,mi.
do these compenies supply your plate or do i need my own?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
im leaning towards a cargo van STRIKE ONE

would like to stay mn.,wi.,il.,in.,mi. STRIKE TWO

I don't want to rain on your parade but there is a perpetual glut of vans. If that wasn't enough handicap, limiting ones area to a few states adds an equally significant handicap. Although I don't run vans in my fleet, if I were to add them I'd never consider one with a geographic limitation imposed.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
EZ
We are essentially all owner/operators or drivers operating as independent contractors in trucks or vans for which we pay all expenses, including plates, out of the run revenue. Successful expediters do not limit themselves to such a small geographic area as that you mentioned. Most of us travel east of a line from Laredo, TX thru Dallas, Kansas City, Omaha, Minn-Stpaul. There are also plenty of folks that travel mainly west of El Paso and Reno. Very little coast to coast in cargo vans.

easyduzit

Seasoned Expediter
im not oppossed to driving elsewhere, i just thought if i could stay in those areas it would be the ultimate. figureing on automotive freight all over mi. going to places like belvidere, il., janesville, wi., st.paul, mn. and never be more than a few hours from home. i was thinking most freight for a solo would be less than 600mi. anyway wouldnt it? remember im trying to learn something new here, im used to driving a big rig with 2 and 3 day runs. as for the question about the plates, i know i will have to pay the cost, i was wondering if i get the plate from the carrier or if i need to get my own. thanks for all the replies.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Easy from what your saying maybe air freight would be a better fit.
I would talk to a terminal manager at say Towne Airfreight out of Chicago Etc.
The hours are closer to what you desire and can run regional while making enough bank to keep a cargo van.
Mike

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe the majority of times you'll get your own plate from your local office but there are probably a few companies who do things differently. The 3 I know for sure about don't furnish them though.

As far as operational area it would be nice to stay relatively near home but you might get a load a few hundred miles from MI to Chillicothe and the next offer might be a few hundred miles to Smyrna and then who knows where. The dart could stick anywhere in the U.S. or Canada map. I joke sometimes about having torn the pages for Purgatory, I mean Chicago, out of my atlas. To a degree that's true, but anyone whose atlas is truly abridged is definitely going to feel a handicap. Good luck.