New to Straight Trucks

etanasov

New Recruit
Driver
I've been driving a sprinter van that my brother owns for a bit but I was looking to drive small or large straights instead. I'm 20 and live in Knoxville,TN.

1.) Are there any companies that lease or rent straights? I look for my own loads so I just need a truck. If anyone knows any way I can rent a truck or a company that lets me rent a truck.

2.) What is the difference between a small and a large straight as listed on virtual fleets?

3.) What is the average pay per mile does a small and/or large straight get if there is a difference.

4.) I know it's based on the vehicle but what is your average mpg on a straight truck? and how many miles do you travel, on average, on 1 tank of fuel with your straight truck?

5.) last question, if companies don't rent out straight trucks. How would i go about finding a company that I would be able to driver their straight truck for.

thank you for helping me out

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been driving a sprinter van that my brother owns for a bit but I was looking to drive small or large straights instead. I'm 20 and live in Knoxville,TN.

1.) Are there any companies that lease or rent straights? I look for my own loads so I just need a truck. If anyone knows any way I can rent a truck or a company that lets me rent a truck.

2.) What is the difference between a small and a large straight as listed on virtual fleets?

3.) What is the average pay per mile does a small and/or large straight get if there is a difference.

4.) I know it's based on the vehicle but what is your average mpg on a straight truck? and how many miles do you travel, on average, on 1 tank of fuel with your straight truck?

5.) last question, if companies don't rent out straight trucks. How would i go about finding a company that I would be able to driver their straight truck for.

thank you for helping me out
Knoxville is a good location. At least better then the west coast I suppose.

On my TM my large straights where 22'ft and up and my small straights where in between the sprinter and 22'ft.

Its going to be important regardless if you rent or lease or even purchase outright that if you want to make the money in a straight truck make sure its dock high, has dolley legs, at least 22'ft in length and a minimum of 100" opening at the door with a 102" width inside.

Sure you can get away with 98" at the door and interior but to be able to get into all your big accounts you want at least 100" at the door and NO ROLL UP DOORS!!!

Make sure your floor is reinforced and the box is less then 5 years old.

As far as fuel mileage I have owned every type of straight truck and their are too many variables as your trans gear ratio will make all the difference in the world.

Theirs a lot more to all this but please make sure you start with the basics on the box. Thats the money maker part your hauling around the country with.

Sent from my LGLS990 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: GoBucks

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With you just being 20 you might not find a company to take you. Do you have a cdl? If you do then you know you can't drive a truck across state lines until you are 21.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you continue to drive local until you are 21 and have your Class B CDL with air brake endorsement, you will find that this site is a great place to find an owner to drive for, provided you have some experience that is verifiable.
Just look in the classifieds under driving opportunities and contact some owners in your area, tell them about your experience, go for a test ride if that is an option and show them you are a safe and careful driver.
Do a pre trip for them, show them you know your way around a truck and how to take care of their equipment.
When you turn 21, the world will be your oyster.
Gain experience, don't drive like a maniac and be respectful of others on the road.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Ragman