New to Fedex Custom Critical

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Joan Murphy sent me the Flat rate revenue for solo and team drivers. I noticed that the FR for solo drivers is a little higher than the rate for team drivers. How many miles do you guys average a day? Thanks again

Our theory is run as few miles as possible for the most amount of money. I never know how many miles we run a week but I can down you down to the cents how much money we make.

We run on percentage pay not on flat rate.

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
I have no idea how many miles I average in a week. I could figure it out but it is not something I look at. I keep track of the mileage on every load.

I can make as much driving 3 miles as I can driving a thousand miles. Miles mean very little. It is what it pays. My average load last year was 700 miles. Average weight about the same. Given the choice I would prefer to drive less and make more. $2500 for a thousand mile load is pretty good. $2500 for a 253 mile run, 250 miles was DH, is MUCH better. I have done both. That is why I prefer not to be on flat rate.

Thanks for the answer. What did your company gross last year if you don't mind me asking.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry, we don't post numbers like that in here. I was a darn site better than the year before was!!

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
I noticed that. I searched the forum back and fourth for some soild numbers but alot of CC drivers won't post their earnings.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I noticed that. I searched the forum back and fourth for some soild numbers but alot of CC drivers won't post their earnings.

Part of the reason is that those numbers are private. Part of the reason is that it varies SO greatly. My numbers might sound very high to some. I am a TVAL truck. My rates are higher because of specialized equipment and/or qualifications that allow us to handle specialized freight. My costs to operate are also higher. To post those numbers could give some, not all, newbies the wrong impression. I have also been in the business for going on 6 years. Not long by many standards but long enough to see the results of a long and somewhat painful learning curve. My numbers are getting better with each passing year. I like the one where my gross keeps going up and my expenses are going down.

Just to help you out a bit. You should be able to gross more than the cost of your new truck in a year.

Last edited:

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
I would like to honestly say thank you to all o/o for helping me with these questions. I wish you all the best with life and your business.

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
Part of the reason is that those numbers are private. Part of the reason is that it varies SO greatly. My numbers might sound very high to some. I am a TVAL truck. My rates are higher because of specialized equipment and/or qualifications that allow us to handle specialized freight. My costs to operate are also higher. To post those numbers could give some, not all, newbies the wrong impression. I have also been in the business for going on 6 years. Not long by many standards but long enough to see the results of a long and somewhat painful learning curve. My numbers are getting better with each passing year. I like the one where my gross keeps going up and my expenses are going down.

Just to help you out a bit. You should be able to gross more than the cost of your new truck in a year.

That's a good point.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you dont have a forced dispatch but you could sit a long time getting a load that pays you 2.32per mile plus fsc.I sent you a PM,layout is a tval reefer,D unit,and their numbers are much better than a surface fedcc tractor.
And believe what Greg says,there are favorites,thats how you get pre dispatched on a run while you are already loaded.
Linda,Ive only been gone 10 months,I know things haven't changed that much,except for the tractor pay.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I was once told by a FED EX Freight guy that if it weren't for Freight,CC would go under.I laughed all the way back to my truck.Since I left they started the FR system.I 've got friends that went hat way,and went back to pedcentage.
Ron's last name starts with an S,Take what he says with a grain of salt.Except in the FR,YOu need to run 5000 miles a week to survive.On percentage you will make more than those guys running 3000 miles aweek.
I average 3500 miles a week here at Tri State,and average 5200 dolllars,which is a little more than I did at FDCC.
FDCC is a big name,this doesn't always put money in your pocket

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
Do you think its realistic for a Solo driver to drive at least 2200 miles a week? The driver would make $1.25 a mile + .37 FSC = $1.62 a mile. 2200 miles x $1.62 = $3564 total revenue. I guessed that tractors trucks would get about 6 miles per gallon. So 2200/6 = 367. 367 gallons by 3.65 a gallon = $1339.55

Total Revenue $3564 - Fuel Ex $1339.55 = $2224.45

Now you'll still have tolls, hotels and maintenence to pay. Fedex CC offers discounts on fuel, hotels and they offer toll 'assitance". Fedex has a few more gifts for their contractors but you'll have to be in the business to know. Do you think a solo driver can net between $2000.00 and $2500.00 a week?

Last edited:

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
You left out a WHOLE lot of dead head that we have to do in this business

Well with the flat rate system all miles are paid including deadhead (DH pays the same flat rate). Over 8001 miles per month puts a solo driver in the $1.25 per mile bracket plus the average .37 FSC (FSC might be a little/less more i don't know the correct amount). That's how I came up with those numbers.

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
Well with the flat rate system all miles are paid including deadhead (DH pays the same flat rate). Over 8001 miles per month puts a solo driver in the $1.25 per mile bracket plus the average .37 FSC (FSC might be a little/less more i don't know the correct amount). That's how I came up with those numbers.

Does it seem realistic now?