New to expediting

trevorr

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,

I am considering buying a straight truck and leasing on with a carrier to run solo. I am new to expediting but I have ran hot shot freight for 5 years.

I am posting to ask for advice on choosing a company to lease on with. What are some good companies that still have freight in the current economy? I have talked with Nations Express and Panther (however Panther is not accepting any new solos).
Also, what kind of truck should I look at getting? Any special specs that will help to keep me loaded?

Thank you!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What area of the country do you live in? If you live in the NE your chances would be better to do well as a solo.

Panther not excepting solo's in a good sign of how busy the industry as a whole is right now.

If I was looking at getting into this business as a solo and in this economy I would look for a good used truck I could pay cash for that would meet the prospective company’s specs.

You might want to read back over this past years posts and that should give you some good ideas on what to look for in a truck and also how the industry is treating solo drivers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You need to read back a minimum of one year in the general, newbies and recruiter forums, with two years being even better. You'll find in depth answers to these questions plus many other questions you don't even know yet that you want to ask. That doesn't mean every word of ever post. That means read the thread titles and if they look instructive to you then read the whole thread. With the uncertainty in the economy and industry I'll also agree with buying a truck for cash so you don't have a payment hanging over your head. You may also want to look into driving for an owner to learn the business and whether it's what you truly want to do before you invest your own money. Good luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree 100% with what LDB says, but not so sure that "Panther not accepting solos" is an indication of how well the industry is doing, as much as an indication of the limited earning potential for solos. Nearly every carrier wants teams, due to the HOS rules - teams represent a greater potential profit than does a solo.

classadriver

Seasoned Expediter
I would agree right now you should only buy a truck you can pay cash for I am with tri-state went to class before christmass and have sat ever since.
2 load offers from them both around 200 miles d/h and both canned before the offer came over the qc.

I made the choice of tri-state because I was told we could find our own loads.friday came with no more offers found my own load that paid $1.50 per mile on 2020 miles.for 2 skid spots with 7 days to get it there and I could of found another to put with it to make it an easy $3 per mile
when they called it in got a call from manager that we couldnt take the run even though they was an approved customer they didnt want any loads going west of mississippi river because its to hard to get back.
my reply for $3 per mile out I can deadhead back without any empty move money and still profit 4k for 4 days work.

but no they want to keep teams available for their customers that are not even open.
ryder operations are shut down till the 5th most auto workers are at home drawing 75% of their pay till who knows when and 2 days latter we are still #1 on this board but no offers.

think twice before coming in the water is awful cold

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe I missed you saying it, but are you driving for someone or did you go ahead and buy a truck?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
read your lease,if it says you can only haul loads approved by the company,you may never get to haul what you find