New Panther/Conway drivers

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Just read over the 50 or so Posts on the post buyout subject. A couple of things you have to know about Panther. If you take a load to Texas, Kansas, Florida etc... anything way out there, you had better be sure that your Fuel SC is enough to cover the round trip. Why anyone would sit anywhere 15th out is way beyond my thought process. It's simple... MOVE! Unless your owner is paying for fuel there is no reason not to suck it up and get in a better position. Panther doesn't want you to sit out in the middle of no where either, but it's up to you!

Panther dispatchers are for the most part just temp employees and really can't promise you anything. Yes there are a few good ones that have been there a while but you have to get to know them. If you naive enough to do a 'favor' for a dispatcher and expect something in return down the road, you are in the wrong business. Always, Always make your best deal right then and there and get it on the QC. If it's not on the QC then it did not happen.

When I got stuck somewhere, my safest bet was always get back to Chicago land. You will almost always get a good load in a day or two. I can't tell you how many I did that and it always paid off.

Teams... gotta learn that the little load of 300 miles may just put you in a better position... nuff said about that.

Canada... you are nuts to take a load into Canada these days unless it pays through the A*s. That means a hefty fuel SC, 1st out and whatever else you can arrange. It just costs waaay too much to run up there and the border/paperwork hassles are not worth it. I would never leave a shipper until my paperwork was faxed and accepted and verified on the phone with the broker. If you wait until you are down the road then you will pay the price.

All in all, once you know the system Panther is as good as anyone (exception LandStar... would love to work for them) I can't tell you how many Laraedo loads I passed on because I would be the 20th truck down there and I can't make money running one load a week. Just learn to stay away from CA, TX, CO, Kansas unless you are will to sit or accept a back haul that doesn't pay as well.

Remember to be Pro Active, don't wait for them to call you, get on the horn and work your business. Have fun and be safe!

David

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is on your macro #8
The trucks that are listed as enroute. If it is a close call you may have to call to see their drop times.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Macro 8 is normally wrong 99% of the time. Ask your dispatcher how many are there, how many are going there (while you are running) and you get a better feel. Again, you really have to use all of your tools and that means getting on the phone and get the answers. Most dispatchers will try and help and then you get the occasional clinker. If it doesn't sound right then don't take the load. If anything is in-complete in the load offer and you can't get an answer before you roll, don't take the load. Especially Canada! Never say 'I won't go to Canada' you will take a hit on your rate... just be very selective. Hope this helps.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Like I mentioned in another post, I was told by a Panther driver that you only had to take one load per quarter to Canada to be able to keep your rate. Unless you can't go for criminal reasons or therebouts, I'd say it would be worth it to suck it up for four trips a year across the border.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
A lot of what you are sayingwas probably true before the buyout, but you neglect to say that it might be different now because of Panther getting Conway's customer base. We were out in CA when it happened and got right out and even did 3 more loads out and back no problem. Even took a load to Macon,GA and went home to FL and after coming back in service got right out of there also. Laredo, TX also will greatly improve because Conway did a LOT of business out of there. Hopefully this helps everyone with the added customers. Not sure how the backhaul thing works though. Lucky for us we haven't needed it so far.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I did a Macro 8 earlier today, which stated the number of average loads from Atlanta is 2 per day, number of available units is 1, number of units enroute is 1. However, when I called Panther to discuss moving to Atlanta, the dispatcher said the number of units in & enroute to Atlanta is 8! A macro that is wrong 99% of the time is worse than useless!

Rikk

Expert Expediter
1st off, Panther is ONLY concerned about thier bottom line, PERIOD. Panther has so many trucks now they can careless about you the single O/O. Fleets get special attention and have more leverage. You are correct, The dispatchers are about useless.

I was 3 hours early to a delivery, and playing by their rules I QC'd to let them know I was pulling over for a break.. I recieved a message back all but telling me to stay on the road. I called safety and was told the same thing. What kind of company treats the small business person this way.

P2 needs to learn the differance between OWNER and EMPLOYEE.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not positive but I believe the macro 8 is supposed to only look at units of the same category as you, i.e. only B units or whatever size you are in. I can't say without being there but I believe some of the dispatchers get focused on D units and don't pay attention to any other size unless you remind them. It could be that there was 1 van in Atlanta with 1 van on the way and the particular dispatcher you spoke to looked at D units on autopilot and that's why 1 unit changed to 8. I do wish macro 8 worked in real time or at the very least time stamped the point in time the information was live so you know how old it is.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
pantherII dont have to worry about the difference between contractor and employee. they are big enough that their concerns are solely on their bottom line and not drivers feelings, pocketbook or safety. thats just the blunt truth. they have the lions share of equipment and customers. everyone else is going to die slow death. it is almost a monopoly because it will be easy for panther to ship in one of the many trucks they have to service freight for the larger customers and in the end that is what *they* are looking for. you have to realize that panther is a business like any other and now they are *the* major player. they have industrial capital and legal wiggle room. you want to take your truck and go somehwere else? big deal, there are three thousand more waiting on the road and even more signing up every day.

we better get used to it and stop complaining. this is the business now

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Oh Yeah... forgot about this one. If youare 3 hours early for a pickup... do not call attention to yourself by calling safety. Pull over, do what you need to do and be on time. When you call it gets them all in a lather... common sense does not exist at Panther, but should be praticed everyday by the drivers. Belive me, if you stop and they think you are running out of time, they will call you.

Have fun...

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>1st off, Panther is ONLY concerned about thier bottom line,
>PERIOD. Panther has so many trucks now they can careless
>about you the single O/O. Fleets get special attention and
>have more leverage. You are correct, The dispatchers are
>about useless.
>
>I was 3 hours early to a delivery, and playing by their
>rules I QC'd to let them know I was pulling over for a
>break.. I recieved a message back all but telling me to stay
>on the road. I called safety and was told the same thing.
>What kind of company treats the small business person this
>way.
>
>P2 needs to learn the differance between OWNER and EMPLOYEE.

Funny how those worthless dispatchers got the ball rolling in order to get your truck payment made for you. Seems to me if Panther did not care then why did they do that for you...even after your demands to speak to the CEO everytime something doesn't go your way.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I would say they got him the load more for their benefit than his. It's not like they were doing charity or anything.

Some of their strong arm tactics and micromanaging push the envelope of the employee/independant line; but I'm sure they did plenty of research to make sure they're legal in that aspect.

I TOTALLY agree with TS. Don't call them unless you think you'll be late, or there's a safety issue. If you need to stop and rest, do it. Let them be the ones to initiate contact.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Dispatchers got his payment made for him? Sorry... but
>unless they drive his truck as well as dispatch, that ain't
>happenin. They're doing what they're paid to do, just like
>we are.
>
>Some of their strong arm tactics and micromanaging push the
>envelope of the employee/independant line; but I'm sure they
>did plenty of research to make sure they're legal in that
>aspect.

No,if you read what I said..."dispatchers got the ball rolling" meaning they contacted the powers that be to let them know the situation so they could make the decision.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Hmmmm, a Panther insider. Funny only a few people in P2 know me by Rikk. Secondly, Giving out info from a private phone call is a but on the wrong side.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Hmmmm, a Panther insider. Funny only a few people in P2 know
>me by Rikk. Secondly, Giving out info from a private phone
>call is a but on the wrong side.

Nope, what's wrong is coming on here and biting that hand that helped you. Funny how you just omitted the part about the help Panther gave you. Guess it was just easier to jump on the bashing bandwagon. I suppose next time you need help with your truck payment maybe they should just turn their back on you like you did to them here on EO...now THAT is on the wrong side!

Edit: Yes, I do work for Panther

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
In regards to post #9, no matter how big a company gets, it still has concern itself with the difference between employee and contractor. Fedex Ground didn't, and now it will have to.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Scoot68
Sometimes people can't be satisfied no matter what you do.

And Rikk, for what it is worth....I have not removed your posts as you claim, they are still here.

Gotta use Tony's quote here, "Think before you type"

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator