New Owner

hettick304

Active Expediter
Hello all, very new to this and wish I had discovered this forum about a year ago, I'v done a bunch of research, and felt that Panther was the company for me, not going into details, the only thing I will say is coming out of the real-estate buisness is that you just don't bash or "bad mouth" your competitors, I just makes you sound like pure garbage. On that note I have purchaced a 2011 E-350 and after five weeks on the road, I've decided this is the job for me, The only advice I can realy offer is. Stay out of hotels, thell tear any budget apart, get use to living in a van, make it comfortable ASAP, The only thing I think the recruter left out, and this goes for all of them is don't go on the road thinking this is instant money, I went out out on the road with about $2,000 and thank the Lord I did, it did not take long to realize that unless you bought your van from a company that has outfitted the van, you need to take care of some things that are much cheaper when in your home town and not out in 102 degree weather taking desparate measures trying to survive the heat while waiting on freight. I geuss this would go with cold weather as well, I just hapened to sighn on in July. LOL. I've said enough for now the forum said I needed to post something and I did. Good luck to all

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I'm glad you enjoy it even though you burnt through 2k and had a bad experience with a carrier, I also respect you not bashing them. You got the right instincts and probably mentality for the business, now it's time to find the right carrier for you.

Do research, there the big boys, small fries and a bunch of crooks hiding in the small guys. Do your due diligence, post a bunch here, read twice as much and don't stop learning

hettick304

Active Expediter
Thank you Mcavoy, I'm under a one year with Panther, mainly to just get out here, and the feel, I do like Panther, they have been pleasant to work with, however I haven't had a break down or fell ill while loaded, that will just be a test to come, I geuss.. I've been talking to a lot of drivers from other companies, seems to be the best way to understand how one company works compared to another, some like to share, others not so much, I understand that were all competing for the same freight, but that's all in the sales and dispatch team, so those of you that want look at the truck next to you as the enemy, so be it. I do however suggest some form of interaction does help pass the time and you might just learn something!

chillyhiker

Active Expediter
Great post and a refreshing point of view I get agitated reading post from peoplewho just want to rag pn someone and most of the time has nothing to do with expediting... I'm still working another job with the plan to get into expediting when I retire I look forward to your future posts and insight to the industry thank you

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

hettick304

Active Expediter
LOL Chillyhiker, Attitude, keep it right, this venture started out as a REALY expensive vacation, or so it felt, things are just now falling in to place and I'm going on the sixth week now, kinda ready for some home time, and face time with the wife. Still scratching my head on how a lot of van drivers seem to go home every week-end, what's up with that? I've been doing the math, and unless these guys have homes peppered thoughout the eastern US, I don't know how there making a profit, I'm outa Texas, which is a preaty good haul, especially if your sitting in NY and ready to go home. So I'll continue to run untill I do get a load in that direction, keep hearing drivers turn down loads to Larado, Tx,, I'll gladly take it. LOL

chillyhiker

Active Expediter
Well good luck to you and keep that positive attitude...in regards to laredo texas it seems to be a love hate relationship some love going there and get loads out others can't seem to.take care

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Being based out of Texas, its going to be hard or costly to get hometime. Have you had any runs into Texas since you started? In the future, you might want to take a few days when you are close as you never know when the next time you get close will be.

When you do go home, you might want to consider going back in service a day or two early if it takes them a couple of days to find you a load out of your home area. But after a few times, you'll quickly learn what is best for you. That's the great thing about this business, you either learn or go broke.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Thank you Mcavoy, I'm under a one year with Panther, mainly to just get out here, and the feel, I do like Panther, they have been pleasant to work with, however I haven't had a break down or fell ill while loaded, that will just be a test to come, I geuss.. I've been talking to a lot of drivers from other companies, seems to be the best way to understand how one company works compared to another, some like to share, others not so much, I understand that were all competing for the same freight, but that's all in the sales and dispatch team, so those of you that want look at the truck next to you as the enemy, so be it. I do however suggest some form of interaction does help pass the time and you might just learn something!

hettick304

Active Expediter
Being based out of Texas, its going to be hard or costly to get hometime. Have you had any runs into Texas since you started? In the future, you might want to take a few days when you are close as you never know when the next time you get close will be.

When you do go home, you might want to consider going back in service a day or two early if it takes them a couple of days to find you a load out of your home area. But after a few times, you'll quickly learn what is best for you. That's the great thing about this business, you either learn or go broke.

I did get a load to Little Rock AR, thought I'd sneek to home, geuss they thought I was trolling, sent me to Corsicana Tx, run to Bermingham Alibama (SP),, didn't neccicerally want to go out of service, but deffinitly will next time, you are right on the starting early back in service, Dallas was showing 6 a day and I would of been the tenth truck on the board, I figured I would of made it and had a few days of home sweet home. Oh well, next time,, next time :p

zack100

Active Expediter
Welcome to the forum and you're correct in mentioning learning from all the forums, researching old threads, talking with other drivers, yada, yada, yada as knowledge is your best friend.

Stay cool and drive safe :cool:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You kinda of hit all around the answer about the guys that get home alot. For the most part, those people live in an area where the freight DOES frequently get them close to home.

I live in Northeast Arkansas, so I don't get home as much, but it's not too difficult for me to get home once a month. I could probably do better than that, but I prefer to not bug dispatch about getting me home. I've found that once I've been on the road for 3 to 4 weeks, their pretty happy and understanding about me being ready for some hometime. Once a month, if you manage yourself well, a little deadhead to get home doesn't hurt too bad.

Being from the Ft. Worth area (I think that's right?), your not in so bad of shape. I would look for being home once a month if it were me. You might want to talk to ChetJester, he lives in Arlington, I believe, and seems to be really happy with his home base. LDB is also from Texas, I believe, but I don't remember what area.

They can probably give you some tips on how to manage home time and possibly on what carriers would be the best for getting you there. "Most" of the Laredo freight is going to be automotive so you would need to be with a carrier that does a lot of that. Myself, I would rather find non-automotive (better pay generally) and they can probably get you to Dallas or Ft. Worth on a regular basis rather than Laredo.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
LOL Chillyhiker, Attitude, keep it right, this venture started out as a REALY expensive vacation, or so it felt, things are just now falling in to place and I'm going on the sixth week now, kinda ready for some home time, and face time with the wife. Still scratching my head on how a lot of van drivers seem to go home every week-end, what's up with that? I've been doing the math, and unless these guys have homes peppered thoughout the eastern US, I don't know how there making a profit, I'm outa Texas, which is a preaty good haul, especially if your sitting in NY and ready to go home. So I'll continue to run untill I do get a load in that direction, keep hearing drivers turn down loads to Larado, Tx,, I'll gladly take it. LOL

Have you been to Laredo recently? You remind me of how enthusiastic I was when I first signed up for this job. I'd like to see how much you enjoy hanging around in parking lots five years from now. You too will get to a point where you realize that it cost more money to sit in a parking lot over a long weekend than it does to drop 150 bucks to get home. You gotta look at it from a tax perspective! Sure you just lost 150 bucks, but you are getting a 50 cent per mile tax write off on your mileage. If you drive home 800 miles, you just earned 400 dollars off your tax bill. Thus you not only paid for your ride home, you pocketed 250 bucks.

I do a lot of one way trips out of California that gross me about 40k a year and the only reason I don't have to pay taxes is because the dead miles wipe out my tax bill. I get a fifty cent per mile deduction on the loaded miles and a fifty cent per mile deduction on the dead miles back home. It has been working for me for 3 years now. I'm not saying it's smart, but it sure is better than spending a hot weekend in a parking lot listening to drivers **** and moan about their companies!

Any how, good luck with the business. And you are right about fixing up your van. If you are going o brave the road full time, you will need to be comfortable!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Let me clarify the tax perspective. I make about a dollar a mile on the loaded miles on a one way trip. The loaded miles have a deduction of 50 cents per mile. That means I only have to pay taxes on 50 cents per mile, right? Well, when I drive back home empty and get another 50 cent per mile tax deduction, it eats up the remaining 50 cents and zeros out my tax balance. This more than covers the dead miles home. On a 2thousand mile load that is about 1000 dollars I can deduct off my taxes where I only spent 500 on fuel to get back home. I'm up 500 dollars and uncle Sam technically paid for my ride home. Some people make really good money with their companies and they will not have enough miles to cover their tax liabilities and eventually have to pay something. That's why I try and keep my gross income at around 40-50k per year. Because for me, anything over that, I have to pay taxes on!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hettick: welcome to EO! In your research, pay special attention to the subject of how to heat & cool your van [hint: insulation is critical], because before you know it, you'll be shivering instead of sweating, lol. :eek:

hettick304

Active Expediter
Hettick: welcome to EO! In your research, pay special attention to the subject of how to heat & cool your van [hint: insulation is critical], because before you know it, you'll be shivering instead of sweating, lol. :eek:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT
LOL, Funny story, I mentioned desparate measures, Learned an early lesson about sitting, had a first out in Jackson MS,, yes I WAS EXCITED, only to reilize I'm the only truck there with 0 a day, Like a dumba$$, camped out at a Wal-Mart. Have a generator and AC at this point, sitting out in the sun in the back of the parking lot, A CONVECTION OVEN is the only way to describe it, temp is reading 98, wich is the max it can display, go in to Wally World and I buy 8 cans of spray foam, and all the widshield visors they had, I had self-tapping screws, washers and a drill luckily on hand, I sweated my way thru putting visors up on the ceiling, now the lesson learned was after foaming all that dead space, the frame-to-sheet metal area, it quikly got comfortable, the problem was, I couldn't stay in the da#m thing for 12 hours waiting for it to cure, come out of there high as a kite, but she's solid as a brick s#it house and cozy as can be. And the heating do you think a small ceramic heater would do the job?, about 1200 watts?

Last edited:

hettick304

Active Expediter
Let me clarify the tax perspective. I make about a dollar a mile on the loaded miles on a one way trip. The loaded miles have a deduction of 50 cents per mile. That means I only have to pay taxes on 50 cents per mile, right? Well, when I drive back home empty and get another 50 cent per mile tax deduction, it eats up the remaining 50 cents and zeros out my tax balance. This more than covers the dead miles home. On a 2thousand mile load that is about 1000 dollars I can deduct off my taxes where I only spent 500 on fuel to get back home. I'm up 500 dollars and uncle Sam technically paid for my ride home. Some people make really good money with their companies and they will not have enough miles to cover their tax liabilities and eventually have to pay something. That's why I try and keep my gross income at around 40-50k per year. Because for me, anything over that, I have to pay taxes on!

Thank you Blizzard, I'm still figuring out the per diem and fuel write off, from what I've gathered it shoud be a "wash" the first year and not to bad the following on, I have a CPA, but not sure if I'll make enough to justify paying him, the fifty K sounds good, but with the start up, and the mistakes that come with it, I don't think I'll be doing that this year,,and yes the week-ends deffinitly suck, I've learned this in the last five weeks. Especialy when your drop is on a bad board on a Thursday, and there's nothing worth moving to,, I'm not Jumping around saying "Yay, four day week-end Yay" I've got a TomTom, with the home addy in it and when I think I'm near I'll. Press that Home icon and see how many miles, maybe uncle sam can give me a lift after all.. Thank you again Blizzard.

hettick304

Active Expediter
Have you been to Laredo recently? You remind me of how enthusiastic I was when I first signed up for this job. I'd like to see how much you enjoy hanging around in parking lots five years from now. You too will get to a point where you realize that it cost more money to sit in a parking lot over a long weekend than it does to drop 150 bucks to get home. You gotta look at it from a tax perspective! Sure you just lost 150 bucks, but you are getting a 50 cent per mile tax write off on your mileage. If you drive home 800 miles, you just earned 400 dollars off your tax bill. Thus you not only paid for your ride home, you pocketed 250 bucks.

I do a lot of one way trips out of California that gross me about 40k a year and the only reason I don't have to pay taxes is because the dead miles wipe out my tax bill. I get a fifty cent per mile deduction on the loaded miles and a fifty cent per mile deduction on the dead miles back home. It has been working for me for 3 years now. I'm not saying it's smart, but it sure is better than spending a hot weekend in a parking lot listening to drivers **** and moan about their companies!

Any how, good luck with the business. And you are right about fixing up your van. If you are going o brave the road full time, you will need to be comfortable!

To answer your question, yes I have been thru Laredo many times in the far past, to Sabinas Hidalgo, Mexico (SP) I have forgotten any details so don't ask,,anyways, I've fueled up at the J there in Laredo many times on 35 and have talked with the vans, and also I agree with P & Moaning, Judging the fact that there were ALWAYS vans there that it must be a slow board, stuff going in, nothing going out,, so when I do go to Laredo, or any where in Texas I WILL be going home!!
I'll tone it down, I know it will become common place eventually, but I do have to say it is a rush to work your way thru a rail yard to pick up a coupler for a large train company, and meet a jet out on the tarmac to send off parts to a large automobile manufacturer. Just fresh and new to me, that's all.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I posted that response about you ever going to Laredo I didn't realize that you lived in Dallas. You can just take a load down to Laredo and then deadhead right up to Dallas and be ready to roll. That's a good deal for you. You will be getting at least a dollar a mile to go to Laredo with Panther as opposed to the 85-90 cents per mile that I get. You should be fine out of Dallas with Panther. You might have to wait a week to get back out, but you should have no trouble getting out of Dallas!

Also, I'm not advocating running one way trips like I do. But you can afford to get home once in a while. The only real problem I see you having with going home and being in service early is that sometimes panther will skip the other people and offer the smaller runs to you. You might be turning down a few crappy loads before you get the good one back east.

You won't need a tax man. You will have to keep good receipts in order to prove your deductions though. i personally do not keep a log book of my miles. I just use my credit card transactions from location to location to prove mileage and count the transaction days to prove my per diem. You get 80 percent of 100 percent of the national average. I did my own taxes with tax slayer and I stated my per diem as being 50 dollars a day which is close to a nice average figure. I then get to deduct 80 percent of that total amount. I haven't had any trouble yet.

Any how, good luck out there.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Granted I'm a little slow. That being said. I fail to see the big deal of Dead Head. How many people working 9-5, 8-4:30 get paid to get to work and back home again?. It's a cost of the business. Your sitting where it's slow and wont spend for fuel to get where it's busy? Makes no sense to me.