New motor breakend

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Will be returning to work after a few months off in a few weeks. I had a new motor put in at Detroit(12.7 series 60) and I need input on how to break it in. I've heard not to run them on cruise or to let them idle, but I don't really know. I have an apu so I don't idle and I usually run 65. I'm pulling 40'van and I am usually very light. Not to much input from mechanic so here I am.

PS
I sincerely appreiated everyones support and comments when my wife passed away. She was a beauitiful lady who left behind a broken hearted truckdriver, but it's time to climb back in the seat. See you all out there.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Wally, sorry bout your loss. But, on the other subject, I had an old timer tell me once, the best way to break them in, is to "load em like a freight train, an, drive em like they were stolen". Hope that helps.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would watch the idle time, along with not running more than a few minutes at a time on cruise control. Other than that I was always told to break um in like you would drive it.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Wally, sorry bout your loss. But, on the other subject, I had an old timer tell me once, the best way to break them in, is to "load em like a freight train, an, drive em like they were stolen". Hope that helps.

I've heard that too.. hope there's some kind of warranty tho! And also, sorry about your loss, good luck back on the road, probably the best medicine for you!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have run a few new and rebuilt engines and was always told to vary the engine speed during break-in. Never run extended periods at the same speed and don't lug or over speed. Load weight was never mentioned. I should note that these were all pre-electronic, mechanical engines.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone, all great points.
Jack, I was pretty much involved in a deep discussion with the service writer ref my $24,000 bill to talk with the mechanic at lenght lol . He basically said they run them for a while at the factory and I was GOOD TO GO. Didn,t really have that warm fuzzy feeling though after i left so I thought I would post here.
I would not feel very comfortable Reccomending W.W. Williams Detroit in Phoenix. Very poor communication.