New idea for generator mounting

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bill, did you run multi-strand wire, like an extension cord or Romex from the bumper to the inside outlet?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually the plug in the bumper is a male end. That allows a normal extension cord to plug into the generator and then use the female cord end into the male bumper receptacle. I bought a length of 15 amp outdoor electrical cord without ends from Menards. After making the electrical connections at the bumper end, I ran the cable on the outside underneath the van back behind the drivers seat. Drilled a hole through the floor and went straight up to a normal electric outlet box. I didn't fuse it because the generator is fused and if something shorts, gen fuse or breaker would pop.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went out and took a couple pictures. The front plug is over 2 years old and look how clean it has stayed.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1418667269.402016.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1418667286.361217.jpg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thx for the pix Bill. Did you build the diamond plate box or have it built, purchased?

Had it built to fit my generator exclusive. Both front and rear panels slide out when the top is open and the exhaust just drops down like you see. The box was $275 and I had a front receiver custom built because no one makes one for the GM van.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1418668835.804659.jpg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since the first picture was taken I have purchased a coiled short cord. That way its off the ground and I can move the van without unplugging the cord. These are the panels removed.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1418669128.052367.jpg

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm going to be selling the whole setup soon. The receiver, the generator with the box and the AC unit. Sorry, won't help you much with the Transit.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran a 1,500 watt heater off the 2,000 watt generator for one winter. Going out to start it in the cold, setting up the heater was a PIA. I finally took everyone's advice and bought an Espar. One of the best decisions I ever made. Now I only use the generator in summer for my AC unit. The electric heater kept me from freezing but never really heated up the van. It just warmed in front of the heater. The Espar brings the whole inside of the van over 80 degrees. No cold feet, don't even use a sleeping bag anymore.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are any of you running heaters off your generator?

Quickie answer: No. A bit longer answer: There isn't an electric space-heater type unit made that will heat the van to acceptable (by which we mean you won't freeze every part that can be frozen) levels unless you sit right in front of the thing. If the van in your avatar is any indication you're trying to heat a sizable box, and it's a question whether the Big Buddy propane heater could keep you happy. Gotta say the people pushing the Espar heaters are probably right here. Electric heaters are made to work with your home's main plant, helping to heat a cold spot near you while you watch TV. Or maybe boosting a bedroom's heat. They're a poor choice for heating a van.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So I need a deep cycle battery to run odds and ends like my cpap machine and any other smaller items I want to charge...and espar/Webasto heaters...a roof top AC unit and a mounted generator to power that. Ugh Merry Christmas to me.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
The only way I got my 1250/1500 watt heater to do well was insulate the heck out of my van AND hang a furniture pad right at both ends of my bunk. So it was only heating about 6' of my van. But it was a well insulated 6'. So I was toasty. It even got warm enough to cycle the thermostat on the heater. Which was another problem. A generator not running a constant RPM/volume woke me up. Invest in earplugs.
If I was to do it again, I'd Espar!!!!

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Was just quoted around $1,100 for 2nd battery system, including isolator. Installed. Does this seem reasonable? Sounded like it would be about 3-4 hrs in labor for them.