New idea for generator mounting

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's probably ball park, maybe a little steep. Depends on what battery they are talking about.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1418827861.249189.jpgxq

Here's my set up. If I had to do it again I would do something different. It's a little to loud.

ZippersKid

Rookie Expediter
I'd suggest considering looking through these pre-built boxes and mounting/modifying to fit your need. The doors are usually already sealed to keep moisture & road grime out..
Tool Boxes | Iowa80.com <-- pages before & after 6 -->
Also I believe the Iowa80 truck stop store is a weee bit pricey. So shop around places like truck dealerships, RV dealerships, trailer dealerships <-- they hang boxes off flatbeds on nearly every trailer. **Editing original post. Scroll down to the post "Under Body Boxes" They have other ideas for sources like Tractor supply & such.*** Depending on where mounted I would not go with two doors that swing out. Road vibrations tend to cause them to wear and I've had doors like that blow right off at highway speeds. Ooops! Umm boss you know that stuff that WAS in the ditch side box? Yea not a fun phone call. As an owner I'd be like demmit! Now I gotta buy all that crap over.

I'm def going to be in the market to be considering my options for carrying things when I get a van. One option I'm thinking about is taking one of the stock bumpers off and welding my own (with a welder friends help. I want to learn welding and this would be a good project.) Or maybe leave the bumper, run a couple rails from the front frame and build a platform & box to carry the generator & other accessories.

Lastly; I've had both espar & webasco heaters in trucks I operated. Those things will roast you out!! Even in below zero weather. Side note. It only takes about a half hour (steady run) to heat a can of soup up in front of the hot air vent. ;):cool: Just sayin

Last edited:

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Has nobody done a APU setup in a CV? I see almost all the semis have them, seem to be about the same size as the average generator, and have the additional heating/cooling abilities. It would great to have one mounted under the belly of the CV.

What about the underside mounting option for a generator? Has anyone tried that, and if so, how did it work, pictures?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Has nobody done a APU setup in a CV? I see almost all the semis have them, seem to be about the same size as the average generator, and have the additional heating/cooling abilities. It would great to have one mounted under the belly of the CV.

What about the underside mounting option for a generator? Has anyone tried that, and if so, how did it work, pictures?

Underside? I don't think that it would fit there not that small! If ya do better install wheelie bars on it or something similar cause it's sure to gouge out some ruts in the road.
Wait , here's a good idea build lift kit and put on big muddier tires then you'll be close to dock high and it might fit then

Last edited:

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
I saw where someone cut out an area behind the rear wheel and mounted a generator in custom made box, seemed nice and out of the way. It was not lower than rest of van.