New idea for generator mounting

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just bought a honda 2000 and a 6 gallon external tank to run with it. I,ve been reading alot of posts on here about how to mount it. Was leaning towards building a box to hang off the driver side back door. But I,m not to crazy about 100lbs of weight on those door hinges. Why isn't anyone mounting these things one the roof. Standing on the back step bumper I can easily fuel it up, and access the generator. Is there a legal presidence why know one is putting it on the roof.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I just bought a honda 2000 and a 6 gallon external tank to run with it. I,ve been reading alot of posts on here about how to mount it. Was leaning towards building a box to hang off the driver side back door. But I,m not to crazy about 100lbs of weight on those door hinges. Why isn't anyone mounting these things one the roof. Standing on the back step bumper I can easily fuel it up, and access the generator. Is there a legal presidence why know one is putting it on the roof.
I can think of 2 reasons why I personally wouldn't want it up there. 1st, no way I would want to fuel thing over my head on a regular basis like that (if your van is a std cargo van, I guess it would be more favorable) 2nd, fuel mileage.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a couple of good ones I can think of without scratching my head. One is that while you're messing with that thing on the roof, it's all too easy to slip and fall. Even worse when the weather gets nasty, and as we're getting into Winter up here in the Northern regions you'll find that out soon enough.

Second, the height. Right now, my Chevy is just shy of 7 feet tall. I can get it into the Delta Sonic car wash, but only just. Better figure another two feet with that generator mounted up there. Are you going to remember that next time you go through the Burger King drive up? First time you forget, it could get expensive fast.

Third--- OMG, the incredible noise!!!! That roof panel is going to amplify the noise the generator makes.

Forth--- the roof might not be the best place to mount that hundred or so pounds either. Many vehicle makers limit roof loads to about that, spread out over the entire roof. You're concentrating that in one area.

Fifth-- rain and snow--leaks in your roof. I installed a roof vent in a Ford van many years ago, I never could plug all those leaks.

Best idea I've seen: A receiver hitch mounted on the front of the van, right under the front bumper. A carrier is fastened to this, and the generator is mounted to the carrier. Just make sure you have clearance so engine cooling isn't negatively affected. After that, you only have the problems you're going to have on any generator hook-up.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

It is exactly how i have mine drivers back door.. i have posted pics on eo about it....been there for 3 yrs...no problems...remember they put spare tires on there all the time..they weigh as much as a honda ...you will like it there..and the 2000 honda is nice..no problems and it has a zillion hrs. On it..

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pictures of your rear door generator mount please. Been thinking about that for a while. Never saw it done.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
I think the front bumper hitch mount is the best idea. Its not in the way of your cargo openings, its not putting undue stress on anything, as a receiver hitch will bolt to the frame rails, and its not really gonna add much to your MPG, heck, it might even help there by breaking up the flatness of the front of your van. I keep thinking about building a back door rack on my van for my dolly and 4 wheeler, but I keep running into the "damage from vibration" and theft thoughts, and noise issues.

I'm still trying to figure out where to put the dolly and 4 wheeler so I can have my full cargo floor length, but due to the wall coverings that are in my back end, where I have them is where they'll fit. You know, now that I think about it......maybe I could mount them on the front bumper with a small rack/hitch system.......wow, the things you think up when trying to help others, or at least contribute.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As mjmsprt40 mentioned it increases your height which can be a problem in a drive thru or car wash but the extra height will also increase your tolls in some states.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
As mjmsprt40 mentioned it increases your height which can be a problem in a drive thru or car wash but the extra height will also increase your tolls in some states.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

The other issue with height is toll road it will put you in the next class higher have that problem with my rooftop AC

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to drive a Sprinter. It was just shy of 9 feet tall to begin with, which is two feet taller than the van I drive now. I never did have to pay higher than standard car tolls with it, so-- I'm not sure how the height the generator would add to a standard van would increase tolls. If you put the thing on a trailer, then I get it because tolls are by the axle, except that six-wheel trucks pay more than cars do.

Standing on the step-bumper to fuel a generator on the roof---- man, that guy is gonna get hurt. That is an accident waiting to happen.

I've seen some generators mounted on the left rear door, so it must not be too bad of an idea. Insulate the inside of the door well enough and you take care of the noise. It's nearly impossible to dampen the noise of a generator on that huge roof panel. I think you could get confessions out of terrorist suspects in there.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many toll roads do indeed charge more for the height of a Sprinter. Ohio is one (I think).

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I used to drive a Sprinter. It was just shy of 9 feet tall to begin with, which is two feet taller than the van I drive now. I never did have to pay higher than standard car tolls with it, so-- I'm not sure how the height the generator would add to a standard van would increase tolls. If you put the thing on a trailer, then I get it because tolls are by the axle, except that six-wheel trucks pay more than cars do.

Standing on the step-bumper to fuel a generator on the roof---- man, that guy is gonna get hurt. That is an accident waiting to happen.

I've seen some generators mounted on the left rear door, so it must not be too bad of an idea. Insulate the inside of the door well enough and you take care of the noise. It's nearly impossible to dampen the noise of a generator on that huge roof panel. I think you could get confessions out of terrorist suspects in there.

How long ago?? Ohio TP is where i always had problems...i would argue w/ them...it was my ac on the roof of a stanard chevy...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How long ago?? Ohio TP is where i always had problems...i would argue w/ them...it was my ac on the roof of a stanard chevy...

Last year. My Sprinter bought the farm at the end of July last year, before then I made a couple of runs between Chicago and Philadelphia. I know the Ohio Turnpike charge didn't seem unreasonable. The Pennsylvania turnpike--- well, let's just say I have good reason not to use that any more than I absolutely have to.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Ford CV. It has a pretty wide step bumper and standing on it the roof top is below my armpits. So I'm not to worried about falling or anything like that. The roof is insulated really well, and i'd have the generator of a roof rack so noise or weight wouldn't be a consern. But vehicle clearance isn't something I haven't thought out. being a ex-truck driver i still always look at overhead clearances(if they're posted). But I know there are places like under ground parking garages and airports where the clearances are under 9ft. Never knew about the tolls. Also don't know what a square box w/ a generator in it on the roof would do for my MPG's either. Asjssl makes a good point the vehicle makers mounts spare tires off the back door. I think I'm just going to go for a back door mount. The ford CV radiators are to low and just the way they have that front bumper makes me think that a front mount is going have problems

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a Ford CV. It has a pretty wide step bumper and standing on it the roof top is below my armpits. So I'm not to worried about falling or anything like that. The roof is insulated really well, and i'd have the generator of a roof rack so noise or weight wouldn't be a consern. But vehicle clearance isn't something I haven't thought out. being a ex-truck driver i still always look at overhead clearances(if they're posted). But I know there are places like under ground parking garages and airports where the clearances are under 9ft. Never knew about the tolls. Also don't know what a square box w/ a generator in it on the roof would do for my MPG's either. Asjssl makes a good point the vehicle makers mounts spare tires off the back door. I think I'm just going to go for a back door mount. The ford CV radiators are to low and just the way they have that front bumper makes me think that a front mount is going have problems

I have a Ford gasser, with a Cummins/Onan 3200 watt generator on the front, and it has added absolutley no problems in the means of engine cooling. And a Honda 2000 is alot smaller than a 3000 watter.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have looked into this myself with specing of a new UltraMax. I have made inquiries to this manufacturer as to cost etc. Aluminum is expensive but there is no reason you can get some quotes from a local welding shop where you live and have this done.

Aluminum Truck Bumpers - Aluminess Products, Inc

These bumpers run anywhere from $1800 -$2600. I think you can have a local shop do one for under a thousand. Myself I have decided to have an Onan installed under my new rig by the factory. By the time you include everything the cost of installing an Onan by the factory is almost as much as having all the others done.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
I got to looking at my back doors after reading this thread......keep in mind I've got a 2012 Chevy Express so ymmv.....

The frame of the door does indeed look like it might support the weight of something like that, BUT would the hinges? Especially with the constant movement of opening/closing the doors or having it hang out there while loading/unloading? I'm thinking it MIGHT, but might not. There are 8 bolts holding on the door, all driven into the frame of the van/door so it might, but I'd think it might vibrate enough to wear and pull through too over time. (much like the liftgates do on the back of cargo vans I've seen.)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Somebody has already mentioned...they hang spare tires off the rear doors all the time.

The generator and brackets might be a little heavier than a spare tire, but not much. If I were going to do it, I would access the inside of the door and use some re-enforcement from the inside where the brackets bolt to the door (large fender washers at minimum).

One thing to keep in mind is that when the doors are closed, the weight is somewhat supported by the framework surrounding the doors. This weight displacement could possibly be improved to the point that when you close the doors, all of the weight is transferred to the door sill or whatever you call it on a van?

For me, I have the Onan generator mounted underneath the body with a fuel supply directly from the main tank of the van. So far, I love it. If I were going to change to something else, it would likely be to the front mount like Guido's, but I would still run a fuel line from the main tank.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Somebody has already mentioned...they hang spare tires off the rear doors all the time.

The generator and brackets might be a little heavier than a spare tire, but not much. If I were going to do it, I would access the inside of the door and use some re-enforcement from the inside where the brackets bolt to the door (large fender washers at minimum).

One thing to keep in mind is that when the doors are closed, the weight is somewhat supported by the framework surrounding the doors. This weight displacement could possibly be improved to the point that when you close the doors, all of the weight is transferred to the door sill or whatever you call it on a van?

For me, I have the Onan generator mounted underneath the body with a fuel supply directly from the main tank of the van. So far, I love it. If I were going to change to something else, it would likely be to the front mount like Guido's, but I would still run a fuel line from the main tank.

How much gas does your Onan use per hr?? Have you figured it out.?