New HOS Rules are out

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
July 1 2013....you have time to find a sprinter to drive....LOL:p

I am starting to think i am the shrinking man 42yrs ago i started driving roadtrains then when to tractor trailer then to straight WOW Stone the crows now a possible sprinter what next a motor scooter or a pedal bike lol

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if your not carefull,the 34 hr reset could end up beiong 48 hours.example,your 70 hours is up at 6 pm,34 hrs later you will only see 1 time of the 1am to 5am,so no reset.If you watch your times,you can run 30 days without a break,guess this hasnt been looked into

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Steve I think it has been looked into and studied a LOT... The goal seems to be to drive less on our own so that we do not need to use a restart.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am all tinkled toes in anticipation...:p

milton_tickle_toes_educational_toys-fp-bcb8d2a19a23c5f0952379e7beb071d7.jpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had thought many of us forgot we drove years and years w/o a re-set. My wife drives basically noon to midnite. So anytime she takes one shift off, it has 12 hrs before and after the missed shift.That''s 36 off and she's ready to go. Nothing lost for her. For simplicity,I stop at noon Sat. I take a shift off,ending at noon Sunday.My next workday would generally start Midnight Sunday nite. I can't start til 05:00. Have I only lost the 5 hours ? I guess I lost 7 hours had I needed to start the shift on hour 34. I 'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. {actually I'll get more !} Seems like most will work more M-F and others may settle into any 5 day pattern that fits thier situation. Years ago, Tom Gentleman,HR guy at a large LTL carrier, told me if I was to continue trucking I better get ready to team. "the days of running solo will soon disappear."They seem to be working towards that. Anyone remember Transcon running 3-MAN TRUCKS ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Moose, Home terminal time MAY be time zone your home terminal is in. I heard someone say the 01:00 to 05:00 break was to be in the time zone that you were LOCATED in. Pretty confusing if the truck is moving as another driver is trying to meet the requirement.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Moose, Home terminal time MAY be time zone your home terminal is in. I heard someone say the 01:00 to 05:00 break was to be in the time zone that you were LOCATED in. Pretty confusing if the truck is moving as another driver is trying to meet the requirement.

no the 1 to 5 is your home time,you always do your log in your home time zone

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
“This final rule is the culmination of the most extensive and transparent public outreach effort in our agency’s history,” said FMCSA Administrator Anne S. Ferro.

Not much of a history when you consider the FMCSA wasn't created until January, 2000.

She continued: “With robust input from all areas of the trucking community, coupled with the latest scientific research, we carefully crafted a rule acknowledging that when truckers are rested, alert and focused on safety, it makes our roadways safer.”

How can these people spew this crap with a straight face?

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
9 hrs per day will run you out of hrs. 8 3/4 hrs everyday will work. Been there,done that.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm still trying to figure out how a 1/2 hour break is going to cause people problems. Yes now it's required, most of us took one anyway.

The 1 to 5, yes that can be a pain, but people will adapt to these just like they adapted to the last two HOS changes.

Heck on the OOIDA site people are claiming they will do as they please, rules be ****. Now these same people are why there will be EOBR'S down the line. Then what will the do quit the industry.

moose

Veteran Expediter

exactly,
so 'the latest scientific research' tell us we need to be rested at bed at 10pm (our grand-kids stay out longer) because it is 1 O'clock dispatch time,
and we can start rolling @ 2 am because it is 5 O'clock somewhere...
I'll drink for that .

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'm still trying to figure out how a 1/2 hour break is going to cause people problems. Yes now it's required, most of us took one anyway. It is because the FMCSA was so smart to include in the new rule that waiting to load/unload will not stop the clock.
on duty or driving still keep that clock running. this may not be of an issue for expediters, but will greatly extend waiting time at the dock, as driver will simply stay hooked to the dock for yet another 30 min. after getting loaded/unloaded.
you will also see many truckers choosing to take that break in the fuel islands, or infont of it, rather then backing into a spot, me thinking I'll do just that, it is flat out safer.
bottom line, drivers will not pull of the HWY to take that break, they'll attached the break to an on duty flag.
it'll be nice if it'll stop the 14 Hour clock, but no.
also as Mr.344 stated, adverse conditions are not monitors by QC, many a times, it is simply safer to stay on the HWY then pulling for a worthless rezone.

The 1 to 5, yes that can be a pain, but people will adapt to these just like they adapted to the last two HOS changes.
new term : "confiscated freight", get used to it.

Heck on the OOIDA site people are claiming they will do as they please, rules be ****. Now these same people are why there will be EOBR'S down the line. Then what will the do quit the industry.
can you please provide a link.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I'm still trying to figure out how a 1/2 hour break is going to cause people problems. Yes now it's required, most of us took one anyway.

There are a lot of reasons why that 1/2 hour will mess with a teams hours. Both people off of the clock at the same time will cause problems.