New HOS and teams?

apollo

Expert Expediter
How is the new HOS going to affect teams? Looks like you must take a 10 hour rest or break it into two periods, one being 8 hours long and the other two?

apollo

Expert Expediter
The "8 consecutive hours part" is what made me ask about teams. I know teams do the 5 on 5 off deal now.

This is from the FMCSA website.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/brochure2005.htm

"Simply stated the new rule means:

Drivers may drive up to 11 hours in the 14-hour on-duty window after they come on duty following 10 or more consecutive hours off duty.

The 14-hour on-duty window may not be extended with off-duty time for meal and fuel stops, etc.

The prohibition on driving after being on duty 60 hours in 7 consecutive days, or 70 hours in 8 consecutive days, remains the same, but drivers can "restart" the 7/8 day period anytime a driver has 34 consecutive hours off duty.

CMV drivers using the sleeper berth provision must take at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, plus 2 consecutive hours either in the sleeper berth, off duty, or any combination of the two."

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I'd say when this goes into effect teams would have to operate this way : Eight hours in the sleeper , both take the same 2 hours off duty , then the other goes 8 hours in the sleeper . No more 5 on , 5 off . Do we have Concerned Citizens and PATT to thank for this ?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It will be a major problem for solo drivers. After driving say 9 hours you arrive at the delivery at 0200.They open at 0700,if you log sleeper at 0200 then you can't unload until 1200, or if they unload you and you stay in the sleeper mode,you cannot leave the dock until 1200.
Also you will not be able to extend the 14 hour clock. I think it will be a real mess and probably will be modified.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I misunderstood... this is my first time hearing of that rule.

Geez!!! What the hell do they want from us??? Now they're just asking for more accidents! They're basically forcing a tired driver to go 8 hours before switching.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
The big trucking companies (BigCo) have gotten their payoff from all of the campaign donations made earlier.

They will be able to staff their linehaul units with "legal" aliens who will be driving themselves into the ground while trying to learn English as a second language. BigCo now has an endless supply of "disposable" steering wheel holders who will be working more hours for less money.

By making the HOS so obtuse, the government has given BigCo (read ATA) an additional bonus of making it nearly impossible for solo drivers to comply with the rules. This will drive many small companies, as well as Owner Operators, out of business, which puts more freight on the BigCo docks.

And the saying "Money can't buy happiness" is proven wrong! It can if you can afford to make the right payment to the right PAC!

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think RichM is on to something. Does make you wonder how this new change will effect single drivers within expediting.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>CMV drivers using the sleeper berth provision must take
>at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth
, plus
>2 consecutive hours either in the sleeper berth, off duty,
>or any combination of the two.
"

I think the plus 2 clause will have an effect on things somehow.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
From what I understand you don't have to take 8 sleeper and 2 off duty. You can take the full 10 in the sleeper so teams can run 10 on/10 off. Don't know how everyone else sleeps when your truck is in motion but unless I am totally exhaustedI do not sleep soundly.
Running 10 on/10 off can be difficult.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Based on that, each person can drive eight hours and then switch.
Doesn't seem like it would be easy to sleep 10 hours?

Looks like a gift to PATT and CRASH

At least the black boxes weren't part of the package.

Davekc

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As it stands now single drivers are really screwed with the 14 hour rule. As of now anything over 2 hours in the sleeper extends the 14 hour clock but come Oct you will need a minimum 8 hours consecutive in the sleeper to extend the 14 hr clock. Also thats crazy taking away the 5 on 5 off option for teams.

Here is an example of a frequent run that the Calif solo trucks do.
Back into the dock in Reno at 3pm depart at 3:30 for Los Angeles area.
Arrive at receiver at 12:30 am. Jump in the sleeper till 5:30 am. Get up and make a 6am delivery then back into sleeper for 5 hours and yer ready to go again.

The new rules force you to either deliver this load at 1230 when you arrive or wait until 830.

You ran out of hours at 5am

Lets say you arrived at a receiver at 8pm for a delivery at 5 the next morning. At 7 pm you are done for the day unless you can get 8 hours in the sleeper to extend the 14 hr rule. So, at noon you get hit with an ASAP pick up going 400 miles delivering at 8pm tonight. Sorry, you cannot do it cause you only have 7 hours in the sleeper.

The 8 hours figure I am using is only for extending sleeper berth time. You still need 10 hours off after driving 11 hours or 14 hours on duty.

The only change is you can combine 8 hours sleeper with 2 hours off duty to be legal where as before the whole 10 needed to be in the sleeper or 10 consecutive hours off duty

Now as far as teams, I have no problem runnin 10 straight in the daytime but if I had to run 8 pm to 6am straight thru it would be tough and unsafe. This would be my scenario probably. Drive from 8pm to 2am jump in the sleeper for 2 hours drive again from 4am to 6am and let my co driver take over and hope that we were making good time.

Of course there is always the option of creative logging but I know nothing of that kind of activity lol

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The queen :censoredsign: who heads the transportation safety administration, who came up with this BS says backwards and forwards this is a safety issue. Know what? Busdrivers aren't affected by the new rule. If the new rule is supposed to work towards safer highways, what's more safe than having busses follow it??? I'm getting tired of lobbyists picking and choosing specifically who laws should affect. Nothing is fair about this.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have you looked at all the industries that are exempt.

Amoung others MOVIE COMPANIES!!!!

Give me a break!!! What kind of idiot would think they would not opperate in an unsafe manner on the highway. Or is it in our national interest to get that movie done on shedule.What gives them the right to think their industry is any more inportant than any other.

What about a exemption for FEMA? Now there is work that is really inportant and in our national interest.

Which raises another question...When we are haulling for a exempt industry,are we also exempt?

(OK here is my $5.00 for winning)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have you looked at all the industries that are exempt.
Amoung others MOVIE COMPANIES!!!!

Maybe we should all start carrying handi-cams:7

I don't know why they would be exempt either?

I throw in my $5.00 as well

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm looking at a system for my new truck that has video cameras and will let me monitor the cargo box, passenger side, behind the truck or forward and also videotape if I want to. Does that qualify for an exemption?

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I'm looking at a system for my new truck that has video
>cameras and will let me monitor the cargo box, passenger
>side, behind the truck or forward and also videotape if I
>want to. Does that qualify for an exemption?

I think if you would market it it would actually qualify. You know that Indie films are a big thing now, even though some have lousy story lines.

I remember something when my hippie uncle dragged me around with him and his group in the late 60's, seeing a movie about a can or something. Everyone thought it was cool but looking at a can for an hour seemed to me as dumb as it can get. Damn glad that hippie crap didn't rub off.

But Just image an hour of watching a pallet in the back of a truck, someone will go see it.

G

You'd definitely have to market it creatively to get people interested. I like the idea of selling DVDs on cable. You could call it "Pallets Gone Wild!"

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have been EXEMPT ALL THIS TIME and did not know it?????

Its true, Nascar anyone affiliated with Entertainment is legal to do almost as they please. But not overweight. My last employer did not even have to pay us our regular wage and actually discounted overtime because of this dumb law.

One of the big reasons I left, mad no, but unfair even though I agreed with it in the beginning. Worked to many overtime hours to not be paid for it even at regular pay.