new guy on the block.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, this tends to be the theme of the regulars, mainly Turtle. They knock anyone trying to do what they do. Turtle especially likes seem witty while trying to make you believe it's impossible to make a living doing what he does! Lol. In my opinion he's a lonely miserable person who's only joy is seeming important on this forum. Being out here on the road can do that to the weak, they become negative and paranoid.
Being out on the road, at least for the weak, can not only make you negative and paranoid, but it can also cause you to have an inability to post on-topic and instead have an insatiable need to disrupt the forums with off-topic posts about me. Your complaint about me and "the regulars" has been the same since at least 2012 (when you were repeatedly warned and then banned for the same incessant crap.
That's my issue.
And that right there is the problem. Unfortunately, that's not the topic of this thread. Neither is your opinion on me being, what was it?, oh yeah, "... a lonely miserable person who's only joy is seeming important on this forum." This is the Newbies Paradise Forum, and any personal opinions you have about me, the regulars, or how people respond are breathtakingly off-topic here in this forum and in this thread. An off-topic attack simply because you don't like the manner in which they post or what they said is a disruption to the forums, particularly when it happens repeatedly after being advised not to.

Since you were previously warned repeatedly and then banned for the same thing, and you've been recently warned to stop disrupting the forums in this manner, it seems clear enough that the only reasons you are here is to promote your YouTube channel when it's appropriate and to troll when it's not. Therefor, well, you know.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:censoredsign:, some straight up hate coming out there, lol. Turtle has been cool to me the few months ive been here, but his response to the op did seem a bit snippy.

So youre saying get expierence in a straight because the load opportunities are more plentiful, then go to a van? I still don't get why the vanners don't use the knowledge they have with a straight. Wouldn't they make more money? I don't think vanning is as easy as buy a van, run and get paid, but what kind of other knowledge is there other than calculate your cost per mile to drive, what your monthly bills are, and how much you need to make per mile to stay above water? Can you site some examples of things you do to make it work for you. ( Not asking you to give up your tricks of the trade. ) Maybe im wrong, but I kind of have the suspicion that the veterans get favored for loads by dispatch over the new guys.

All this talk of learning the job in a straight and then transferring the knowledge to a van, is just a joke.

Experienced vanners try to dissuade newbies from jumping into the pool because there are way too many vans out here as it is. As a skill, driving a van isn't rocket science. Being a successful business person in a van is a more formidable challenge, especially now when rates are in the toilet. Look at OVM; he is a longtime and very successful vanner, and he has chosen to keep his 11-year-old Sprinter rolling because for him, that's a sound business decision. OTOH, some successful vanners prefer newer vehicles.

Why do longtime, successful vanners stay in vans? There's as many answers to that, as there are people. Some have driven big trucks for many years, and have tired of the hassles (scaling, logs, you name it). Some, like me, don't have a choice because of health issues that disqualify them from driving the bigs. Others have their own reasons.

I said all that to say this: vanning is not a game, nor an extended vacation. It's a business, and you have to treat it as one if you're gonna survive. Buying a $48,000 Sprinter and just throwing yourself out there is no guarantee of success, not by a long shot. Even Scripture bears this out: in Matthew 10:16, Jesus teaches His disciples to not only be gentle as doves, but as smart as snakes. Otherwise, you're gonna get et:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ever go to a pickup or delivery and you're having trouble finding the place, then just as you pass the entrance for it you're like, "Whoops, there it is Just passed it"? Or you get there and there's a sign at the entrance that says "Trucks Enter from Someother St."?

That's why I'm not in a tractor-trailer for sure, and a lot of the reason I'm not in a straight truck. :D

Reactions: Treadmill

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I said all that to say this: vanning is not a game, nor an extended vacation. It's a business, and you have to treat it as one if you're gonna survive. Buying a $48,000 Sprinter and just throwing yourself out there is no guarantee of success, not by a long shot. Even Scripture bears this out: in Matthew 10:16, Jesus teaches His disciples to not only be gentle as doves, but as smart as snakes. Otherwise, you're gonna get et:eek:

I definently don't look at it as a vacation. Sitting at a truck stop for a few days waiting on a load isn't my idea of a good time. And I DEFINENTLY wouldn't even dream of dropping 48 grand on something unless I knew exactly what I was doing. Im not one of these idiots who lives above his means. Im intelligent and wise enough with money that I may be able to make a van work. Frankly im leaning toward a straight, at least in the beginning so I don't have to buy a vehicle. I hear driving a van for an owner you wont make squat. Once I learn the ropes, we'll see if I move to a van or not. Im just trying to understand the reasoning behind a lot of it.

Reactions: xmudman

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Ever go to a pickup or delivery and you're having trouble finding the place, then just as you pass the entrance for it you're like, "Whoops, there it is Just passed it"? Or you get there and there's a sign at the entrance that says "Trucks Enter from Someother St."?

That's why I'm not in a tractor-trailer for sure, and a lot of the reason I'm not in a straight truck. :D

Yeah that's one of the big reasons for the van. Not having to haul those big bastards around city streets. However, its something ive never done, and wouldn't mind at least trying it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So youre saying get expierence in a straight because the load opportunities are more plentiful, then go to a van?
No. What I said was get several years experience in a tractor/trailer. If you feel you can make the leap to a van, do it. If not, do the straight truck thing for a few years.

I still don't get why the vanners don't use the knowledge they have with a straight. Wouldn't they make more money?
You have that backwards. Your question should read: I still don't get why the straights don't use the knowledge they have with a van? Wouldn't they make more money? Of course they would make more money! But this isn't about money. It's about freedom. To quote Guy Clark: "Ain't no money in poetry. That's what sets the poet free. I had all the freedom I can stand." Substitute "poet" for vanner.

I don't think vanning is as easy as buy a van, run and get paid, but what kind of other knowledge is there other than calculate your cost per mile to drive, what your monthly bills are, and how much you need to make per mile to stay above water?
Yeah, it isn't that easy but it ain't rocket science either. Not just any moron can enter expediting with a van and succeed. It take a special kind of moran and I'm proof of that.

Can you site some examples of things you do to make it work for you. ( Not asking you to give up your tricks of the trade. ) Maybe im wrong, but I kind of have the suspicion that the veterans get favored for loads by dispatch over the new guys.
Yes I can and I will. But these would be specific to the only two carriers I have been leased to. Right now dinner is calling. Later, probably tomorrow.

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes I can and I will. But these would be specific to the only two carriers I have been leased to. Right now dinner is calling. Later, probably tomorrow.
Somehow tomorrow became today. For me it has been a strange day. I spent today with some friends I went to grade school and high school with. We grew up in south Minneapolis but visited a friend that now lives in Mora, Minnesota. We toured a small, way cool FM radio station, KBEK in Braham,MN, got an on the air interview and ate at a (the) local cafe. It was a Rod Serling meets the Cohen Brothers kind of day. Way too bizarre to describe here and these were my somewhat normal friends. Over dosed on coffee and old times.
Can you site some examples of things you do to make it work for you. ( Not asking you to give up your tricks of the trade. )
Any tricks of the trade as far as vanning goes aren't any great secret. The best piece of advice I can offer is, be where the freight is and don't be where all the other vans are. It's a balancing act and constantly changing. A recent example: In mid January I got a 360 mile load from Somerset, KY to Jasper, AL. I ended up on the Birmingham board with a whole bunch of other van from my carrier. To the north in Nashville, a bunch more. Way more than the daily load average. So I deadheaded on my own dime to Dyersburg, TN 250 miles away. It was an area that historically I have done well. Far enough away from the crowds in both Memphis and St. Louis. I got a load the next day to Chicago. I did have to go across the river to Dexter, MO to get it but at least that DH mileage was paid. For me and my carrier, Chicago is a place where van loads greatly outnumber available vans, at least most of the time.

Sometimes you have to be willing and financially able to deadhead to a better area or sit for days. Its a business decision and you have to weigh the pro and cons as to move or sit. You do need some past experiences to base your decision on, but it is still a crap shoot. To quote Davekc: "I guess that is why I enjoy expediting. Kinda like standing in front of a giant
roulette wheel."

Maybe im wrong, but I kind of have the suspicion that the veterans get favored for loads by dispatch over the new guys.
My experience is just the opposite. Usually the newbies get more loads at first to keep them from leaving. Also my carrier has a varied pay rate. I make more per mile than most vans and often get passed over on loads in favor of cheaper rate vans. One more reason to distance myself from them. I hope this supports my premise that it takes a special type moron to succeed as an expedite cargo van owner/operator. BAN THE VAN!

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Speaking of Cohen Brothers, I don't know if you saw their new one 'Hail Caesar', but I would wait for the cheap theater or dvd. I found it to be a little...meh. But hey that's just my opinion. Anywho, thanks for the reply. I was figuring if I sat anywhere for more than a couple days I would deadhead out. I think ive heard Lawrence say "never sit anywhere more than 48 hours!" And lol @ a special type of moron to succeed in expediting.

Reactions: morningwood

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
You Really wanna be a team if your in a strt trk,If your gonna van it.Do what other vanners don't like to do.NYC,Hazmat,Canada,Bad weather,find something to do when you layover somewere that don't cost alot of money.

You Really don't wanna be in strt trk as a solo,If ya do the van thing,go to were the freight is.Do things other vanners don't like.NYC,Canada,

Ha

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was figuring if I sat anywhere for more than a couple days I would deadhead out. I think ive heard Lawrence say "never sit anywhere more than 48 hours!"
In general, if loosely applied, that 48 hour limit can be a decent time limit for sitting. Again it depends on the carrier, your location, your financial situation, day of the week and lunar phase. If you are with a larger carrier and number 5 of 5 on a 2 load a day board and after 48 hours you are number 1 of 1 or 1 of 2 you should probably stick around until 18:00 of day 3 before bailing out. Of course if you don't get a load by then you figure you've got a 2½ days invested in sitting, what's one more day. If you deliver on a Friday and don't get loaded that night, plan on sitting until at least Monday. Don't count the weekend as 48 hours.

Knowing when to sit, where to sit and how long to sit is difficult until you gain some experience. Even when you have it all figured out, you frequently have to give the giant roulette a spin.

Reactions: Treadmill and Greg

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Good advice Pelgrn. Moot, it sounds like a lot of this im just going to have to learn through experience.

Ok, one more question and then ill stop bugging you guys. When youre sitting waiting for a load, do you have to be with the QUALCOMM all the time, or does it connect to your cell phone somehow? You know, if I want to go in the truck stop to grab a bit to eat, take a shower, or just get out of the van or truck for a bit. Or, if im in a city, get a bite at an actual restraunt instead of fast food connected to the truck stops or sit in a park or something for a bit for a change of scenery.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, one more question and then ill stop bugging you guys. When youre sitting waiting for a load, do you have to be with the QUALCOMM all the time, or does it connect to your cell phone somehow?

Again, this depends on the carrier. Panther has several QC options pertaining to driver status. When I'm in service whether in my van, at home or collecting cigarette butts and aluminum cans along the highways and byways of this great country I use IN SERVICE ON PAGER status. I assume "pager" refers to cell phone. This means I will get a load offer over the QC but also a phone call. In addition I pay an extra $2.00/week for QC text messaging sending all load offers to my phone via text message.

Feel free to keep asking questions.