new guy on the block.

dannharris

New Recruit
Researching
So I'm new to this. Wanting to get into either cargo van (ford e250-350) or van with a box. How do i get hooked up with a broker or someone to get loads. I've signed up on u-ship but dont know if thats really a good way to go. I'll own whatever i van style i go with outright so i wont have that overhead. Just looking for some advice or a leg up. Thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just looking for some advice or a leg up.
You're not going to like it, but here goes. It appears you've zeroed in on the whole van thing. Probably because, "hey, it's cheaper, you don't need a CDL, and it's easy money," or some variations thereof. The reality is, even those who know the industry very well and are already "hooked up" with a broker (or carrier) to get loads aren't getting much in the way of loads for cargo vans these days, as a gazillion other people thought to themselves, "hey, it's cheaper, you don't need a CDL, and it's easy money," or some variations thereof. Freight is way down, and the number of vans is way up. That means there are about 10 vans for every load out there. That's an exaggeration, but not by much. But it means lots of sitting or running loads for very, very cheap.

If you want to make any money in expediting, a van is not the way to do it. You want to be in a straight truck, and as a team if possible. Owning your own is definitely the way to go, but right now, and for the foreseeable future, vanning ain't it.

dannharris

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the reply. I dont want to do it full time. Just part time for a little extra cash during the off season of farming.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So, you want to pick up some extra cash, by starting a small business, part time, as an independent contractor, in an industry you know nothing about? Why not become a part time drywall contractor, or cut hair part time in a beauty salon, or maybe open up a small dry cleaning shop?

They're are only a couple or three insurance companies that will even cover expediters for cargo and liability insurance, and you're in for a real shock when you find out how much it's gonna cost. You're looking at probably between $5,000 and $8,000, depending on whether you pay it all up front or make payments, depending on whether or not you have a CDL, depending on whether you have your own authority or lease to a carrier, etc.

Reactions: neilblack

dannharris

New Recruit
Researching
Upfront costs are not an issue. Im not exactly poor. Gets me out of the house and and a few extra bucks.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Upfront costs are not an issue. Im not exactly poor. Gets me out of the house and and a few extra bucks.

If you are just looking to get out of the house, golfing is cheaper then what your thinking about doing.

But, if your really serious about getting out here on the road and money is not a problem. Drive a van for someone. You will make a Little money and learn this business.

Just my 2 cents

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
What I don't understand is, a majority of the guys who try to sway people away from vans drive vans themselves. If its that bad, why aren't you guys moving up to the straights?

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many of us have Van payments we would be upside down on. Most spent several years finding the company that was the right fit for us. Some are close to retirement and switching now would be a pain. We have all seen the change in the van market accelerate over the last few years. The number of fly by nite carriers and do it your self types has increased drastically in the last few months. Some of us are just damn stubborn and theyll have to drag us from the freedom of a van. I could come up with more.

dannharris

New Recruit
Researching
What if i use an enclosed trailer and just do smaller stuff. No need for a cdl or special tags. If i dont like it enclosed trailers sell like hotcakes.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That subject been broached on here many times, the general concensus is it won't work. If gross combined weight of trailer and truck is over 10001 lbs you have to log, enter scales and go by the hours of service

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What I don't understand is, a majority of the guys who try to sway people away from vans drive vans themselves.
That's because we are intimately familiar with the van segment of the industry and know fully well that in the current economy and van freight climate it would be a big mistake to enter expediting with a van. It wasn't all that long ago that these same people were helping others enter the industry. And back in 08 when things were bad we were equally against newbies entering this business. Many did not heed the warnings then because they thought they knew better, just like many will refuse to listen now, for the same reasons, and they did not, and will not, succeed.

If its that bad, why aren't you guys moving up to the straights?
Xiggi hit the highlights, but among the many other reasons, those of us who have been doing this for a long time know what it takes to make it work without having to move to a straight truck.

That subject [towing a small trailer] been broached on here many times, the general concensus is it won't work. If gross combined weight of trailer and truck is over 10001 lbs you have to log, enter scales and go by the hours of service
Also, there's the problem that no insurance companies will write insurance with the required coverage for expediting with a small trailer like that.

Reactions: xiggi and RoadTime

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm pretty sure dock workers and shippers wouldn't like trailers on pickemup trucks. Or vans

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Takes money to make money! Many don't have the funds and many don't want to be subjected to logs even more paper work and dot nazis

What about driving a straight for a fleet owner?

Many of us have Van payments we would be upside down on..
Goes with what I asked tknight. Could someone park their van and drive a straight for a fleet owner? If you make more in a straight, then you could cover the van payment and still make a little extra, right? I guess that kind of brings another question. I know this probably varies, but in general, do you make more driving a straight for an owner, or a van for yourself?

Its not that I don't believe you guys, im just trying to wrap my head around it. Im on the fence between a straight and a van. I know a straight will make more money, but as xiggi said...the freedom of a van just calls me! Getting a class B would be a skill to use in another career if expediting doesn't work out, but I really don't want to have to deal with logs and dot. Im in the position that I will not have a mortgage or monthly utilities ( if my house ever sells. Selling for an unrelated reason, not for this. ) nor do I have any mouths to feed. Other than a modest and flexible week to week rent I will pay to my brother I have absolutely no financial or personal obligations. So, that said, do you guys think a van would be possible for a person in my unique situation? Like you guys said, you are experienced and know the van market to make it work for you. Since I have that kind of financial freedom, I was thinking I could stick it out for a while learning the van side of things. What do you guys think? And thank you for all the help on here, this site is a great resource for newbies like me. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know this probably varies, but in general, do you make more driving a straight for an owner, or a van for yourself?
All things being equal, you'll make more money driving your own van than you will driving a straight truck for a fleet owner. Unfortunately, all things aren't equal. Driving a straight truck, you'll do 4 or 5 loads for every van load. There are simply that many more load opportunities for straight trucks.

You drop in Memphis to find 5 straight trucks in town, and one tractor-trailer. You also find 14 vans and Sprinters sitting there. These are the actual numbers for Memphis at the time of my typing this. As the overwhelming majority of expedite loads are more than 4 skids and more than 3000 pounds, it's no surprise that most of those vans and Sprinters will be sitting there for a day or 3 while the big trucks all get loaded and are gone. Meanwhile, more straight trucks come and go while the vans are still sitting.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Not sure if this helps but for the last 6 months I have been averaging 4 pieces for about 4500 lbs. I think from what I had read on here van income seems to vary a little more from week to week. While I have never been in a van, my income in a straight truck normally average about 750-1000 per week. While the vanners that contribute here do make money they have multiple years in the business and have an extremely good handle on how to make money, they know there system and they know there carrier system. It takes time to get to know your business and in a van since there is more competition you don't have a lot of time learning by trial and error. There is just more loads out there for straights and tractors.