Cargo Van New GM entry

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 09 ford just had front brakes done at 400,000 and the rear are still looking good

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
120,000 for a city delivery vehicle, sure, that's a good number of miles. But for expediting, you're just half way there.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since this turned into a sprinter brake discussion? Why are my front wheels literally covered in brake dust all the time?

And yes they're original half left at about 200,000 miles

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since this turned into a sprinter brake discussion? Why are my front wheels literally covered in brake dust all the time?

And yes they're original half left at about 200,000 miles

Need to wash those wheels once in a while. :JC-LOL:

Seriously, mine were dusty all the time. I changed the front ones first at about 325k miles, could have gone some more, but I thought they had enough. Rear ones loooong after that.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back on topic, I see nowhere that the sprinter style Nissan will be for sale for 2017, or any other manufacturer to compete with my 2005 when you factor in breakdowns, save the 4 cyl mercedes with the emissions junk tuned out

Chevy is selling the NV200 to compete in the tiny van segment, and mercedes and Nissan with Renault are apparently making a pickup...closest Nv400 would have to be imported from Mexico right now

Last edited:

NVpro14

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Ok, Ok, Calm down... Point well taken. After reading it again, I agree, it did sound like a sales pitch. I apologize, it wasn't meant to be. I'm new to this, if you couldn't tell! In an attempt to redeem myself (a little), let me first respond to the tongue lashing from Mr Turtle....
I just prefer feedback from the guys that are actually behind the wheel, instead of what some magazine editor thinks after spending 4 hrs in it!

In regards to the "NV400" - The Nissan NV, the ones seen here in US, were designed and built for the US in the US (Canton, MS); yes, there are many different versions oversees due to the "less restricted" manufacturing guidelines (mainly safety). With that said, they (Nissan) will be producing an "NV400". Which will be an "extended" High Roof version. Not sure what the length will be, but I would assume similar to our competition. And to the best of my knowledge, it will be released as the NV400 or NV4000. Nobody has verified/clarified that.
Realistically, probably won't see one for another year to year and a half.
But they did just revamp (updated the fuel delivery system) the current V8 engine giving it right at 390's HP with improved gas mileage. The same "gas" version of the new Titan XD. Just got one in, can't wait to drive it!

In regards to the miles on brakes, etc. The fact that I'm communicating with "expediters" who literally put on 1,000,000 miles a year is quite different then the local HVAC guy that stays within one or two counties!

I've driven every kind of cargo van that I can think of, and I just feel that we have a great product. (no pitch, just an opinion) And "YES", I do drive one everyday!

thanks for correcting me!

signed "Mr. Nissan" (that was pretty good by the way, whoever posted it)

Reactions: Turtle

NVpro14

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Back on topic, I see nowhere that the sprinter style Nissan will be for sale for 2017, or any other manufacturer to compete with my 2005 when you factor in breakdowns, save the 4 cyl mercedes with the emissions junk tuned out

Chevy is selling the NV200 to compete in the tiny van segment, and mercedes and Nissan with Renault are apparently making a pickup...closest Nv400 would have to be imported from Mexico right now

Yes, the chevy "city" compact is 100% Nissan. They threw on a chevy emblem, raised the price, and cut the warranty down to the 3 yr/36,000 bumper!
Alot of the engine testing is stemming from the New Titan XD with the Cummings diesel. Every Titan and NV will be produced in Canton, MS. They are pretty strict on that...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm all for competition. There are a select group of needs for expedite though, and we're all pretty biased. Prepare for some good jabs ;)

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Our first Promaster, a 2014 3500, just had its first new set of brakes this week @ 275,000 miles. I think that is normal brake life for Promasters.