New England area

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
I am located in Rhode Island is that a good area to be in for this industry? My driver lives down the street from me, so maybe he can get home quite often being that New England is small? I am signing on with Panther soon and I see them quite often around here. From what I have been reading it seems like it's best to stay away from the west and stay in the Ohio valley and the east coast.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a plan!

Some carriers seem to have more load opportunities in a given area than a competing carrier.

Panther seems to have freight going into that area so it should not be too difficult to catch a load that is homeward bound. :)

You may want to watch the posts for a Panther driver who is in the same class of truck that you have and send them a Private Message asking about their experiences going to the east coast.

Welcome to Expediters Online!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I dunno if i would just stay in the East (depending on your definition of "east") and the Ohio Valley (and I live there ...... Ohio that is)

Can you run Canada ? If so that will open up some options.

There is freight in your area apparently (or so I've been told by both Dispatch and others I know in the biz) Last night I headed in to Portsmouth, NH from Burlington, VT ...... my first time in the area ...... spent the day sitting at the TA at exit 3, I-95 ..... by 17:45 I hadn't gotten dispatched and figured I'd be spending the night.

At 18:00 Dispatch called with a load going to Anniston, AL from the Boston area, which I accepted. I wasn't off the phone with him but a couple of minutes and the phone rang again .... figured it was the same guy ..... but it was someone else from Dispatch calling, wanting to book me on another load (another 1100+ mile run to TN) but I told him someone else had gotten to me first. :D

I hang up and another couple minutes go by .... and the phone rings yet again .... it's first guy calling back with some additional details about the load. He sez "Wow - that was really something - you had like three loads in 15 minutes ....."

Huh ? Three ?

He sez "Yeah - there was third person here that was going to call you with a load ..... but we caught 'em before they made call."

Ya gotta love it .... (when it rains it pours :eek:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The Northeast is a good area. I'm not with Panther, but I see New England pretty regularly. A lot of ppl are skert of the Northeast, and make it lucrative for those who aren't.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Hi thanks for all the replies. When I said Ohio Valley I ment Michigan,Ohio,Kentucky,Indiana exct. I heard Tennessee was also a pretty good area of this industry. How many of you use freight brokers for back loads when you go out west? My driver as of right now can't go into Canada. He was in a accident with the kids in the car. They were in a five car pile up with a tractor and they were hurt in the car and the trooper told him to stay back and he shoved him and thats why he can't go to Canada. He wanted to make sure his kids were okay and the trooper whould not allow him to. I hear it only costs $250 dollars to get a pardon from the Canadian goverment so it will be well worth it. For now he will get five cents less a mile until he fixes the situation.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Honestly, I am a single driver o/o and I would much rather be up there in the New England area being cold than sitting here in the rain in Walton, KY not making any money. The freight is plentiful in the new england area, I was just there last week and in a cargo van i had over 2000 loaded miles. I had loads go to bangor, me p/u in belfast etc. Not many panther driver like to drive the area since it is a commercial driver's nightmare regarding routes, tolls, but for a c/v it isnt' all that bad. <<<<wouldn't mind getting another load out that way if someone at panther is reading this.....:D

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We seem to do pretty good when we go up there. Last week we took a load to CT, and then we sat for 3 hours, and got a load from MA to MS. You don't seem to have as many trucks to fight for loads up there. I don't think it's that bad in a straight truck, and certainly would go anywhere there in a van.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I dunno if i would just stay in the East (depending on your definition of "east") and the Ohio Valley (and I live there ...... Ohio that is)

Can you run Canada ? If so that will open up some options.

There is freight in your area apparently (or so I've been told by both Dispatch and others I know in the biz) Last night I headed in to Portsmouth, NH from Burlington, VT ...... my first time in the area ...... spent the day sitting at the TA at exit 3, I-95 ..... by 17:45 I hadn't gotten dispatched and figured I'd be spending the night.

At 18:00 Dispatch called with a load going to Anniston, AL from the Boston area, which I accepted. I wasn't off the phone with him but a couple of minutes and the phone rang again .... figured it was the same guy ..... but it was someone else from Dispatch calling, wanting to book me on another load (another 1100+ mile run to TN) but I told him someone else had gotten to me first. :D

I hang up and another couple minutes go by .... and the phone rings yet again .... it's first guy calling back with some additional details about the load. He sez "Wow - that was really something - you had like three loads in 15 minutes ....."

Huh ? Three ?

He sez "Yeah - there was third person here that was going to call you with a load ..... but we caught 'em before they made call."

Ya gotta love it .... (when it rains it pours :eek:)

dam---!!

maybe i am in the wrong truck.!?