New Debit Card Scam

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Checked into a Knoxville area motel last Friday and in the room for 10 minutes when the room phone rang. It was from the "Hotel Security". They called me by name and said they had ran my card 10 times and it was refused. I was just getting ready to cooperate with them when the hotel manager literally ran into the room through the open room door and whispered "it is a scam, hang up." I did hang up but only after emptying my knowledge of four letter words into the phone. I called my bank and they advised changing card was not necessary as I had not revealed any info to the scammer. I thanked the hotel manager for saving me from myself. I was ready to dump information to the scammer because I reasoned they knew my name and room number and had to be legit. The hotel manager said he got a call from them and hung up and then noticed I received an outside call right after that. He was aware of the scam from one previous incident and knew better. I did not. Somehow the scammer had hacked the reservation system or the individual hotel's system.
If you get a similar call, beware.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Never ever give personal information to somebody that calls you, regardless how legit they seem.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Yepper,thanks for spreading the word,I would hope that I might have been suspect,because they always run your card before giving you a key. If this should happen though we all know to hang up the phone and walk to the front desk,like I said thanks for the heads up. It could happen to any of us.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's no penalty and punishment too harsh for such criminals, none.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
that's why I like my bank if they supect something wrong they close my card give me a call then I call back and we eather pay it or they notify the right people

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think the penalty for such criminals should be 30 days in Leo's truck, with Leo.

Too harsh?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
had that happen to me monday night in San Antonio..pretty much same thing ..they said you can do it over the phone or @ front desk..I opted for the desk ..hotel said it happens every few months..

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What brand of hotels are these things happing, guess I'll keep staying at Marriott and Hilton brand hotels when I need a hotel.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Holiday inn...stay anywhere you like ..just Dont give out any personal info...I'm sure they hit up the better places more than a days inn...chances are better for somebody with more $$ ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The more we use electronic money the bigger chances of being scammed/hit are..
Best thing in my opinion is to use a dedicated card that is separate from your main account. With each trip out load what you think you will need or have a means to load it while on the road. This way if the account does get hit for any reason you have reduced what you could lose and just may protect your main bank account.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bigger places run it when you come in not after you check in.. I get around 25 to 30 rooms a year and never had one cll my room saying the card doesn't work.

Holiday inn...stay anywhere you like ..just Dont give out any personal info...I'm sure they hit up the better places more than a days inn...chances are better for somebody with more $$ ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Corporate Lodging would be one mechanism to save a little money and eliminate such scams. I'm sure there are others.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, 30 days locked inside the cargo box might eliminate their criminal tendencies.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Most of Us have seen and heard it all, But No company calls you and asks you to give them the info over the phone, NONE...If your unsure simply hang up and call the company, but I long ago decided to proactivly protect myself by using two accounts, two cards, I simply transfer the funds for the day onto the card, its not connected to my main account, and its the only card I use on the road..Never use that Main Acct card EVER, FOR ANYTHING......so far Ive been ripped twice, Both times I discovered the actions by reviewing my accounts often, If you dont have your banks APP on your phone, Get it it makes checking and transferring easy, I discovered that I had purchased a CASE of Jagermeister at a Walgreens in Chicago, while I was in Texas the very next day after leaving Chicago, Card # stolen by a restaurant server, Second time it was 12 dollars...the precursor to a real hit as they tested the card to see if it was active...I stopped that by again monitoring the card via my Phone APP....I then simply removed all my money from that account, and had the bank Overnight me a new card......Freaking thieves deserve to be placed under the liftgate.....I basically check the card after each use to be sure the charges Jibe with what and where Ive been, or at least check nightly...

Weve all been on the road allot, there are thieves all over, I will say today I never allow a restaurant worker to go in the back with my card, I dont care what they say. if they want my money they charge in plain site...and I check this account two times a day....unfortunate but its the way of the world.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
The best punishment would be making him ride in an unairconditioned van on a hot days with a tickoff woman.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, 30 days locked inside the cargo box might eliminate their criminal tendencies.
And what do you suggest for those who have violent inclinations and urges ... for eliminating their compulsion to publicly share how they would like to dramatize said tendencies on others ?