Need Seasoned Expeditor Mentor

Bambuild

Active Expediter
Well.....Maybe I should go back to the table and triple check my numbers, then check them again? From talking to some of you and the figures that I came up with, this didn't sound too bad of an investment. But, like you've said it would be harder to get rid of a straight truck if this tanked, just one thing though HOW will it tank? I mean, are we talking about drivers here, is the bottom falling out of expediting, maint. costs?
This is to be a supplement to my income, to support itself financially, I wouldn't ignore it or expect it to run itself without some work from me. If all of my ventures ran themselves smoothly, I'd be in the Carribean Diving every day. Every venture that I have, has at least 1 thing go wrong a day, sometimes 2, occasionally 3, they aren't cheap and yes I have to fix it myself, I don't expect this to run perfectly either.

But, again I won't be jumping with both feet unless I know that this is going to work. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the fact that I'm getting so many cons here usually most people only see the pros and then get blind sided.

Last edited:

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
Originally Posted by teamjdw
You should contact Gregg334 he seem's too know everthing there is too know.You could be his grasshoper.

The day one person knows everything he/she needs to hang up the keys and find another hobby. If he knows everything he should have his own expedite company.... instead of driving what he drives.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by teamjdw
You should contact Gregg334 he seem's too know everthing there is too know.You could be his grasshoper.

The day one person knows everything he/she needs to hang up the keys and find another hobby. If he knows everything he should have his own expedite company.... instead of driving what he drives.

I think it was said sarcastically ... pretty sure ... but it isn't I'm claiming anything or denying it for that matter, because Idgs.

But, like you've said it would be harder to get rid of a straight truck if this tanked, just one thing though HOW will it tank? I mean, are we talking about drivers here, is the bottom falling out of expediting, maint. costs?

All of the above.

One accident can put everything at risk.

The economy can drop out any time, we are not recovering but rather holding on.

Fuel can shoot up to $6 a gallon and everything else from food to tires can go with it.

You can get a number of crappy drivers in the truck, it takes time and effort to find the right drivers for the truck and depending on a company is foolish because they don't care.

Being a hands on owner actually means what it says, just putting money into a business and expecting it to hold its own in the first 18 month is what tanks a lot of businesses.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

mr_know-it-all.jpg

:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think it was said sarcastically ... pretty sure ... but it isn't I'm claiming anything or denying it for that matter, because Idgs.

It was a sarcastic suggestion - the 'megaposter' thing gets on some peoples' nerves, regardless of the content of the posts.
That said, I will say that Greg has given good advice here, many times over the years. Like all advice, one needs to sift through it for relevance, but I don't think it should be disregarded just because some may have a personal issue with who posted it.
If you aren't sure of the poster's credibility, you can click on their username, then select 'find other posts by' to get a better sense of who they are. Or, you could send a private msg to members whose word you trust, asking their opinion.
It does matter whether the advice comes from a seasoned expediter, or a rookie with delusions of the value of a couple years behind them, but you really can't tell which is which all the time. :rolleyes:

All of the above.

Fuel can shoot up to $6 a gallon and everything else from food to tires can go with it.

You can get a number of crappy drivers in the truck, it takes time and effort to find the right drivers for the truck and depending on a company is foolish because they don't care.

Being a hands on owner actually means what it says, just putting money into a business and expecting it to hold its own in the first 18 month is what tanks a lot of businesses.

All makes sense to me.

Bambuild

Active Expediter

All of the above.

This is Exactly what I have been looking for, I need to know why it may not be a good investment, I know everybody has horror stories and thats what I need to hear, not just the sugar coated garbage. I'm not saying that I'm not still considering though, I just need to know all the potential problems. Don't worry about the money thing, were covered in that department for the first couple years per truck.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter