Cargo Van Need opinions on van replacement

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
My thoughts on the 3 purchase options you listed.
The Sprinter option although a sweet van has apparent diesel issues and a small dealer network..
The Promaster with the front wheel drive setup would not appeal to me for expediting use.
The Ford gasser with a large dealer network would be my choice in the absence of a GM large van option.

My penny in the pond. Good luck with your decision. I'am sure you'll make the right one for your situation.

Stay safe
KG

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think your on the right track, promaster, small engine gasser. Already a lot of them out here, a few problems mentioned but hey its a new model. Bang for your buck it gets my vote.

Reactions: ntimevan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My thoughts: Your interior dimensions (H/W/L) are known by the load planners/dispatchers.
Turbo diesel Sprinter receives a higher % of the load than a CV. I will accept CV loads and often do, one skid or two, but I will request more $..don't always receive it. I love my Sprinter and the comfort and longevity it provides me. I drove another Owner's Sprinter first to find out what is Expediting is all about. Change my own filters and oil to save $, plus it's more convenient.
So it's the $ amount per mile, Miles to DH the vehicle, how long the driver has been sitting/waiting and available room for a prospective load from my brief 4 yrs. of expediting that determines who gets assigned the load.
Coming from operating a Tractor Trailer/Solo, I knew I wanted to be able to carry 3 Skids. I also wanted a permanent bunk in place. Since I can't idle my 2011 170" WB 2500 Sprinter, I had to figure out how to provide myself heat and air. So, my dog and I have about a full size bed right behind the driver's seat. Two wall-mounted thermostats, one for heat, one for air. Penguin Dometic 13,000 BTU Air conditioner run by 2 Honda 2000 Generators (neede min. of 3500 watts), 30 amp Shore Power, Espar D2 Airtronic Bunk Heater that sips off my diesel tank. So, beyond my permanent bunk I have 12' of available length, 52" wide and 6' height. Very rustic, yet comfortable set up...wood shelves both sides for my clothes, water, load straps etc..
Have had no diesel issues. Would prefer to not have a DPF.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I have an 08 sprinter. The promaster definitely needs to be longer and the transit could even use an extra foot or two. So I'll keep my sprinter running and wait and see what GM and nissan have in the works I guess. A longer transit diesel would be my choice though if it was available. As of now I'd have a hard time downsizing on cargo length.

Reactions: vandriver2

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Windsor, I guess you have the ext sprinter, my 05 is 14 ft in the rear with a door height of 69 inches 50 inches between the wheel wells, therefore, losing a foot and not having 5 and a half foot overhang in the rear means I can carry more weight.

The above said, I've looked long and hard at both the sprinter and Ford deisel and with all things being equal in cargo length and door opening height then I woul pick the sprinter 170 wheelbase over the fords 149 wheelbase and 5.5 foot overhang.
Price difference is about 5k more for the ford because it's a 1 ton and the sprinter is 3/4 ton.

Now between the gas models there are 3 differences between the ford and the dodge. 1. Cargo bed length Ford 14 foot and Dodge 13 foot. 2 door height Ford 72 inches and Dodge 69 inches. Overhang Ford 5.5 feet Dodge 1 foot or 2 max overhang. I should add Dodge 56 inches between the wheel wells and Ford 53inches. Price dodge 39k and ford 43k or so.

What is a deal killer for me is the Fords overhang of 5.5 feet.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't understand the problem with the overhang. The longer the cargo area the more room you have for cargo and/or bunk space. The ability to carry more weight with a shorter overhang is irrelevant, unless you have a specialized need to carry specialized freight. The goal certainly shouldn't be too see how much weight you can cram into a van. The goal should be to see how many 500 lb-or-less loads you can get, because those loads make you more profit. Less wear and tear, and better fuel mileage.

Reactions: vandriver2 and kg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I looked at "regular" vans I looked at the Ford E350 and Chev G3500. The overhang of the Ford was a definite negative to me. With the long wheelbase of the Chev. I could have a single pallet set inside the back doors about 10-12 inches where the forklift could easily reach to place it and to pick it up and remove it. With the Ford I'd have needed them to use the fork tips to push it in over the axle. Then a big hassle getting it back enough to be removed. If it was just set in there like with my Chev it would be all behind the axle. Not an appealing or smart way to haul weight, especially heavy weight.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, what Leo said. It's all about weight distribution and ease of loading. Even with two skids, the lighter weight skid went in first. Easy in, easy out.

I've seen too many extended Ford E series blinding airplane pilots with their headlights. My new Transit will require extra effort to load and unload pallets and to achieve an optimal load balance. This is something I will have to deal with because for me this is the only van that came close to my specific criteria for an expedite van.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My Sprinter has a wheel switch that let's me lower or raise the aim of the headlights as needed. If I'm loaded heavy and the front of the van is raised I just lower the aim of the headlights appropriately.

Reactions: vandriver2

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Sprinter has a wheel switch that let's me lower or raise the aim of the headlights as needed. If I'm loaded heavy and the front of the van is raised I just lower the aim of the headlights appropriately.
Does your Sprinter also have a switch that lets you distribute the weight toward the front axle as needed?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Does your Sprinter also have a switch that lets you distribute the weight toward the front axle as needed?
No, but with a GAWR of 5,360 pounds it's not really a problem for any freight up to about 2400 pounds. A single pallet up to 1500 pounds handles fine at the rear of the van, but anything heavier than that gets moved more towards the front of the cargo area when loading it. Even pushed forward, anything more than 2000 pounds will raise the front of the van to the point where the headlight aiming switch gets used.

2005 Sprinter 2500
GVWR - 8550
GAWR Front - 3860
GAWR Rear - 5360

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most Landstar loads I've carried over the last 4 years have been over 1k with a brunch in the 2 to 2500k range. Therefore, a 5.5 foot over hang causes a problem with weight distribution when carrying 2 pallets. If you could use the whole cargo aera then there's no problem carrying the weight.

Heck I like the Ford's but the overhang bothers me to no end. Unless I can find people with the long and tall who can say that putting a 1k to 1500 pound pallet rear of the axle doesn't cause front end sway I'll stick with my overhang causes you problems

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heck I like the Ford's but the overhang bothers me to no end. Unless I can find people with the long and tall who can say that putting a 1k to 1500 pound pallet rear of the axle doesn't cause front end sway I'll stick with my overhang causes you problems[/QUOTE]

Would this help? Specially made for the Ford Transit. Would allow more weight behind the axle, and still sit level. Will carry 5K and makes it ride smoother when empty. Just lower pressure to 5 psi when empty.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1432083973.131913.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
[QUOTE="beachbum, post: 734589, member: 15167"
Heck I like the Ford's but the overhang bothers me to no end.[/QUOTE]

It bothers me also, but somewhat less than a diesel or front wheel drive. I haven't finished my Transit yet so I don't have a final empty weight. My plan is to give my carrier a maximum of 2500# load capacity. My bed will fold up giving me about 155" floor length. Even with the bed down I will have about 115" to accommodate two pallets getting a little more weight forward of the rear axle.

When loading two or three 4-way pallets I will politely request a 90º before loading. I have done this with my long wheelbase Chevy just to give me an extra 16" of living space, knowing I will be spending the night or weekend with the freight.

Unless I can find people with the long and tall who can say that putting a 1k to 1500 pound pallet rear of the axle doesn't cause front end sway I'll stick with my overhang causes you problems
Watch their nose grow when they say that. Even with my Chevy I have experienced frontend lightness. I have on occasion used my 30" pry bar to lever a single heavy pallet several inches forward. I have also removed boxes from a heavy rear pallet and placed on top of the lighter forward pallet.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bill, even with the airlift kit I would think a heavy pallet on the assend would cause some lateral sway. These Transits will require a little more thought when loading.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a load once that was 12 miles from the shipper to the airport. Even with the axle near the doors where it should be it was heavy. They claimed 1900 pounds but I knew it was more. They set it in about a foot or so, the comfortable reach of the forks. When I got to Fedex to hand it off I asked them to weigh it to see if it was heavy like I thought. They were right, it was 1900 pounds, per core. They had 2 cores on the pallet and it was something like 3750 as I remember it now. It's been 4-5 years ago so I may be off a little bit. Anyway, I think if I'd had an E350 and they'd set it that way it would have popped the front end up into a wheelie. I'd much rather have a Ford but not until their idiot engineers figure out proper wheelbases.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dumb question, but I'll need to know the answer someday: how to load three skids- heaviest one forwardmost, or over the axle?