Cargo Van Need opinions on van replacement

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
I run a 2002 Dodge 3500 van. In our industry it is an antique. BUT she has never let me down I will be loosing my true partner. So I'm looking for a new van any opinion will help me. Thanx

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I run a 2002 Dodge 3500 van. In our industry it is an antique. BUT she has never let me down I will be loosing my true partner. So I'm looking for a new van any opinion will help me. Thanx

I still have my old 2002 Dodge, but it is grazing in the back yard. I take it to
Florida a few times a year to camp. It did ok in expediting, but If I was still out there and younger, most likely I would buy a Sprinter for room and comfort. If I went back out, it would definitely be for fun only. I am not really sure expediting in a cargo van is a really an income booster anymore. But it was fun out there, but never a great money maker imho.

Reactions: wimpy007

Therion

Active Expediter
OP, if your van still runs good and is in decent shape why not keep it? Why take on a payment? I am running a 1995 model van.

Xiggi, why do you like the Promaster over the Sprinter?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't really, personal space, cargo space, cabin space I'll take the Sprinter every time. The issue for me is the whole emissions system, that's why I said gasser.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm with xiggi. If I were to get a new vehicle now it would definitely not be a DEF Sprinter. I really liked the Promaster when I drove it, so it would be between that and the Transit.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm still driving a 1998 Chevy. As long as it runs-- and it does run good-- this one is paid for. If I were to replace it---I'm thinking either Chevy like I'm driving but newer, or Ford E-series. But that's just me.
If I win the Lottery, the sky is the limit--- gas Transit. I'm just a trifle suspicious of the Promaster, and the Sprinter in its present configuration isn't to be considered--- unless you're gonna pull its powertrain and replace it with a Chevy engine/trans combo.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
find a 2008 or so gm 3500 forget the payments pay cash. it will pay for itself in a month or 2 and dont cost much to maintain.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
find a 2008 or so gm 3500 forget the payments pay cash. it will pay for itself in a month or 2 and dont cost much to maintain.

That's exactly what I did. Paid Cash for an '06 Extended Express. It paid for itself in 3 weeks. Yes, it was a VERY busy period for me. Then just maintenance and an occasional part here and there. NEVER left me stranded. That extended Express was GOOD MATH!!. If I was to do it again I'm sure I'd want "3 skids in easy", but I would have a lot of trouble not getting a long Express Cab & chassis and adding a long body on it.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
yea I got an 05 express extended. I paid 4k for it 2 years ago with 150k miles on it now I have 285000 on it i spent maybe 3 k in repairs over the last couple years and it runs better than it did when I got it. the 6.0 is a real worker.has never left me beside the road and I wouldn't be afraid to take it anyplace. if I ever get to tired to do flatbed I will most likely go to the 12 ft box over the sprinter.

Therion

Active Expediter
Do you OTR guys find the limited height of the Ford or Chevy vans ever limits what you can haul? I was looking at an 06 E350 with 165k for $4,000. Passed on it because it needed at least $1,500 worth of work.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, the height limits load opportunities. It also prohibits putting one's pants on while standing up. I had a Chev G3500 when I was in a van. They are great and do the job but if I were doing it again I'd be looking for the longest, tallest gasoline powered van available, provided I knew I'd be doing this for a decade or so. If I only planned a year or two then I'd consider a good used G3500 paid in cash.

Reactions: vandriver2

Therion

Active Expediter
Yes, the height limits load opportunities. It also prohibits putting one's pants on while standing up. I had a Chev G3500 when I was in a van. They are great and do the job but if I were doing it again I'd be looking for the longest, tallest gasoline powered van available, provided I knew I'd be doing this for a decade or so. If I only planned a year or two then I'd consider a good used G3500 paid in cash.

This is rather off topic but from what I read on this forum before is that OTR van expediting pays paltry wages. So how do some of you afford new $45k vans? Right now as a city courier I make $600-$700 a week after expenses. How much better or worse could I do driving OTR for a company like Bolt?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This is rather off topic but from what I read on this forum before is that OTR van expediting pays paltry wages. So how do some of you afford new $45k vans? Right now as a city courier I make $600-$700 a week after expenses. How much better or worse could I do driving OTR for a company like Bolt?

With a van payment on $45k I don't think that you would earn as much after expenses. What city are you working in as a courier? Company? That is great money for being home every night, if someone wants to be home. I bet the time goes by pretty fast with the constant changes in duties.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
OP, if your van still runs good and is in decent shape why not keep it? Why take on a payment? I am running a 1995 model van.

Xiggi, why do you like the Promaster over the Sprinter?

My van has been retired,lol, I am off duty till further notice, time for a Florida road trip soon.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
My van has been retired,lol, I am off duty till further notice, time for a Florida road trip soon.
Thank you all for your input. 99% of my freight is 50 inches high or less so the height may not be an issue OR I'm just so set in my ways I don't look for big stuff to haul. the maintenance of some of the sprinters scares me.