Need advice Straight truck tires

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Hello
I have a Freightliner Straight truck and I need 4 rear tires. I never bought rear tires so far. So if you can give some advice from where to buy and what to not buy. I know they running in a 400 price range. The truck run under Panther.Thank you

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
are you considering retreads? nothing wrong with retreads on the rear, an they might be cheaper, I have no idea the price of tires

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Doesn't panther offer discounts on new tires?

I would get new tires and also a three axle (or two axle) alignment.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've also had really good luck with michelin tires on my cars, vans and box trucks. Penske uses Goodyear on all their fleet trucks and are currently testing fuel mileage/steer tires. All the rears are always replaced with recaps after the first set wears out. Never had a blowout on any straight truck/Goodyear tire. But if I was buying tires I'd probably go with the Michelin/expensive yes, but worth it in my opinion
Ooida offers a discount on Michelin

bobcmo

Expert Expediter
Running dual Michelins I would conceder the ZXA3 on the steers and on the drive axle. They have a low rolling resistance so they will help with fuel milage. If you would like to go with a lug type tire the XDA energy is a good choice but may be hard to find, if you have time have your local dealer order them in for you, they are a good lug tread with thinking about fuel milage in the design . Can't find them or don't have the time to order? The ZDA is a good high milage lug tire, a little tough on fuel early in it's life but will get lots better after they wear a bit. Or if you want to go for wide based singles the ZDA Energy X One should be the best on the market for now, things change daily now a day, but you would have to change wheels also. The last set of X Ones we had we got 380,000 before removing them due to a sidewall issue, great ride to.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
bobcmo,just curious, if not for the problem with the sidewall how many more miles do you think you could have gone with the super singles?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
He was hoping they would get to 550,000 or to 600,000. We had the tires turned on the rims as we were getting some odd wear on the inside. When one of the tires was remounted the tire shop broke the bead and in a short period of time the tire was ruined.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Rolling Resistance Chart compared to the X-One XDA Energy

Tread Type - Rolling Resistance - RR% diff vs X-1 XDA Energy - % loss in trk fuel efficiency compared to X-1 XDA Energy

X-One XDA Energy RR= 86
X-One XDA RR = 94 RR% diff 9.30% % loss in trk fuel compared 1/3%
XZA3 RR = 97% RR% diff 12.79% % loss in trk fuel compared 1.8%
XDA Energy RR = 99% diff 15.12% % loss in trk fuel compared 2.1%
XDA3 RR = 115 diff 33.72% % loss in trk fuel compared 4.7%
X-One XDN2 RR = 139 diff 39.53% % loss in trk fuel compared 5.5

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I believe I mentioned we were looking for Bob a computer! Guess what he has an IPAD and his own screen name now but he not as addicted to this as I am yet but who knows in the future...

bayouhotshot

Seasoned Expediter
are you considering retreads? nothing wrong with retreads on the rear, an they might be cheaper, I have no idea the price of tires

never again:mad: when i had to buy tires in feb i got some retreads thay were about $140.00 a tire cheeper now thay dont look like there going to last a year i have 30-35,000 miles on them and look bad to me (well two of them) thay are not a true tire "round" thay are just not made for hwy use. city truck yes hwy truck no
"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had great success with F/S FD690 Plus tires.
I purchased them new and presently have 320,000 miles on them. I will need to replace them this Fall and will most likely go with the same tire. IMO - buy new, not retreads. As another has already said - "you get what you pay for".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you go to the Panther web site they have discounts through Schnieder National and Wingfoot.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
If you go to the Panther web site they have discounts through Schnieder National and Wingfoot.

Dave
Can you please explain how the Schnieder discount works? I saw the the list price on the Panther site, but what next?
Thank you