Need advice on team driving opportunities

chiefinman

Rookie Expediter
I am 44 years old, a retired police officer and now I want to go OTR as an expediter. I just obtained my Class B permit which will allow me to co-drive with someone who has their Class B license. I have a friend who is an owner operator who wants me to drive with him, but I also want to see if their are any other opportunities out there. My main goal is to get with someone who wants to work and make money. I don't have to be home every weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My suggestion would be to look for a friend who is an owner/operator and drive with them for several months to see if you even like the job.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That your friend is offering the chance to do what you want, and you're wondering what else might be available, says you have some reservations about sharing the road with that friend. Perhaps if you take Turtle's advice, but add an expiration date, say 60 or 90 days, to decide whether to continue or not. It helps in smoothing out the rough patches, knowing it's just 'temporary', I think, and you'll get the experience you really need to choose the next step.

chiefinman

Rookie Expediter
That your friend is offering the chance to do what you want, and you're wondering what else might be available, says you have some reservations about sharing the road with that friend. Perhaps if you take Turtle's advice, but add an expiration date, say 60 or 90 days, to decide whether to continue or not. It helps in smoothing out the rough patches, knowing it's just 'temporary', I think, and you'll get the experience you really need to choose the next step.

That is great advice. Thank you. My only hesitation with teaming with this particular friend is his work ethic. He likes to be home every weekend and doesn't seem to take as many loads as he could. If I am going to quit my current job then I want it to be better for me financially.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I am 44 years old, a retired police officer and now I want to go OTR as an expediter. I just obtained my Class B permit which will allow me to co-drive with someone who has their Class B license. I have a friend who is an owner operator who wants me to drive with him, but I also want to see if their are any other opportunities out there. My main goal is to get with someone who wants to work and make money. I don't have to be home every weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If is carrier will allow you to run with a learners permit jump on it because some will not,plus I'm sure he is going to take you for your test at some point. Good Luck!

chiefinman

Rookie Expediter
If is carrier will allow you to run with a learners permit jump on it because some will not,plus I'm sure he is going to take you for your test at some point. Good Luck!

Well it's official. I am taking the plunge. I am turning in my notice at my current employer on Monday and the following Monday I will be driving 2nd seat with my buddy. All the paperwork is done and I have been approved by his carrier. I also have an appointment to test for my regular class B on September the 16th. I AM PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well it's official. I am taking the plunge. I am turning in my notice at my current employer on Monday and the following Monday I will be driving 2nd seat with my buddy. All the paperwork is done and I have been approved by his carrier. I also have an appointment to test for my regular class B on September the 16th. I AM PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Load and Roll Chief! Welcome abroad and keep on pumping! :):):)

Mike0151

Rookie Expediter
Good Luck Buddy.....it's a great job if you're cut out for it. Just remember, you're in for much more of a culture shock than most. I can tell you from experience that you are about to see life from the other side of the mirrored sunglasses. You'll find quite quickly though that your new co-workers are a lot more understanding than your last ones ! Be safe.