Navigation system?

bigwheel

Expert Expediter
What kind of maps do you use?

Paper? Laptop with software? A stand alone navigation system?

What would you recommend?

tnx

chaz

Expert Expediter
I just have a cargo van. I have the Magellan Roadmate 700 and love it. Dont know if its use for the big trucks would be good or not as far as the routing.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
I drive a straight truck, primarily in the midwest. I have a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas ( I got one new off half.com for $15.00 shipped if anybody wants a little hint, and that was the laminated one) which is good for quick reference and scoping out the Scales, even though we as professionals have absolutely no reason in the world to fear these entitiesx( My primary navigation tool is my laptop. I fire it up when I find out where I am going, and use software made by Delorme to route myself. I also always make sure I have a phone number, although the percentage of the time that the number is valid is about 40% I know some may think that it is not good to have a laptop in a truck, but I only use it when I am stopped, with the truck off, and shut it back down when I resume driving.

scott

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use a laptop computer as the heart of my operations. It has three purposes directly related to trucking:

1. Navigation. Currently using ALK's Co-Pilot Truck, and Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004.

2. Logging. Using Roland Bjorklund's DDL program for the last 4 years. www.driversdailylog.com

3. Mileage Reporting: Using an older version of ALK's PC Miler, I generate the required company logs for mileage/fuel tax reporting. I can put these logs from this old program directly into Microsoft Excel to make my own reports for various comparison items.

The laptop has a lot of things that are not related to trucking:

1. A DVD player. I connect the audio output into the 4 speaker sound system in my truck, and watch movies while on layovers.

2. Internet capability. I have a WIFI card and accounts at Flying J and TA for high speed internet connections, and carry a network cable to connect at motels and such using LAN's.

3. Games. Can't be without a game of golf, Wolfenstein, chess, or Duke Nuke'em while waiting at a shipper or consignee!

4. General use. Using Microsoft Word, I can generate and print BOL's, packing lists, company maintenance reports, etc.

5. Financial use: Using Quicken, I track all my finances right on the road. Can download account info when needed, track credit cards, and input withdrawls and deposits as needed.

6. Digital Photography: I take digital pictures and download them on to the laptop.

All this FUN!! Honestly- all for under $1200.00.

-Weave-

Almost forgot- I also use a paper road atlas. I like the ones published by Mapquest the best.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have liked the Delorme mapping system with GPS as well. Very economical but lacks some specifics for big trucks.
It doesn't show specific truck routing, low bridges, and scales.
Davekc
owner
20 years

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I use a laptop with GPS and the big ole truckers Atlas. It is all I need. It is great

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have the garmin 2610 street pilot and love it to it is small
put in address and it leads you right to place you want to go
even tells you when the turn is coming up and how long it will take you and what time you should be there and has truck routing in it to
it has saved me about 2 hours a day running around the hampton roads area of va still keep map's for back up and if you have to detour helps you detour around

again have to rememeber in ny nj and someother places trucks don't belong on park way and other place

for the garmin go to tvnav.com they have best prices in town
they will take comcheck, layaway, and check with a ten day for it to clear

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Megellan 770 wonderfull small system. Downside does not know its in a truck NJ etc.... Upside, banks, hotels, restaurants if you want them or if you do not. Saves past inputs distance to distance traveled, how many hours (great for logs) etc.. The other negative look at a map first it sometimes has a mind of its own for a long distance trips.

Example last trip Wichita KS to Columbia SC wanted me to go KCS St. Louis down to Tennessee over to Ashville. 1,250 miles roughly. I took Tulsa, Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Columbia 1,180 miles. But once your in a city takes you right to the door step. Price $1,100.00 well worth the investment (my opinion).
I also keep the W.US Central US and Eastern US along with a truckers map for truck friendly roads (atlas) and I cannot remember the name of it but R. McNallys competitors Atlas. States and routes are much larger and clearer. R Mc Sucks for not being able to read cities and routes. It is designed for a teenager not an adult to read.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just received my CoPilot Truck yesterday. The GPS on it knows where you are so you only put in the destination and it figures it from there. I haven't used it yet but will start with my next dispatch. It is supposed to know height limitations etc. and not put you on a road that isn't 53' truck acceptable. Since I drive a D unit that gives me a little extra flexibility. I can put the laptop in the passenger seat and with the seat all the way forward it can't slide off onto the floor. Will have an update on how well it works or doesn't in a few weeks.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
One other comment this system does have another down side as I have already broken 2 of them on my 3rd. I paid a little more for mine $1,100.00 but when ever it goes down (computer you know) I box it back up credit my visa and I go right back and purchase another. The one I have now works much better than the other two.
The X-tra insurance from the MFG only covers two years, Costco wholesale will stand behind it forever no repairing just replace. Also my system is not the 770 it is the 700 my apoligy.

poopookitty

Expert Expediter
MS Streets and Trips is a great map tool on laptop for versitility. We have been using it for about three years. There are only a few things I've found wrong with it. Sometimes the exit numbers are wrong, but no problem it lists the name of the exit as well. Then there are those pesky construction people who keep building new roads and that becomes a little confusing when looking at the map, but other than that it's great. You can make up your own route or change the settings to route by preference of interstate, fastest, or shortest. It calculates the miles quickly for run offers. It will even calculate fuel costs. Last but not least you can update construction via the web. Oh and don't let me forget. It also lists resturants, hotels, attractions and many other land markers, as well as, phone numbers for them. It usually costs around $30, but wait you can also get 2005 with a gps locator for $150.

Nevertheless, it doesn't have truck routes or clearances. We of course, also have our handydandy Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. Which comes laminated, plain paper (cheapest), and now also has big print! A must have for todays professional driver.

Have A Poopy Day!:+

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Leo... let me know how co-pilot works. I'm either getting that or DeLorme, but if co-pilot is worth the extra $200, I'll get it.

plumcrazy8

Expert Expediter
Microsoft Streets and Trips and the big ol' laminated trucker atlas are what's in my truck. The software gets better every year - used to be almost useless in Indy for example. I always compare the driver instructions from the QC unit with the laptop and the map, usually 2 of the three will match and that's what I go with. As we all know sometimes it's just a crap shoot and the CB or the phone are the only way there.