Nationwide fishing license

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
I would LOVE to see this actually happen. Not that I have heard it is in any way being talked about. I have seen so many places I would love to get a line wet as we travel and from the sounds there would be plenty of takers on this site alone. Having to find a place to get a non resident licence at the drop of a hat is a pain and then the high cost for a three day permit tends to keep me from some GREAT fishing when the time permits.

It would seem like this would be a great one for OOIDA to loby for as a quality of life for the many sportsmen (and sportswomen) in the driving industry. Any ideas on where to start/inquire?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would LOVE to see this actually happen. Not that I have heard it is in any way being talked about. I have seen so many places I would love to get a line wet as we travel and from the sounds there would be plenty of takers on this site alone. Having to find a place to get a non resident licence at the drop of a hat is a pain and then the high cost for a three day permit tends to keep me from some GREAT fishing when the time permits.

It would seem like this would be a great one for OOIDA to loby for as a quality of life for the many sportsmen (and sportswomen) in the driving industry. Any ideas on where to start/inquire?

I think this falls under the "Impossible Dream" type of idea. I am not sure that I would even want it to happen.

Why would I say that? Right now the states have control over most of the fishing and laws etc. IF there was a National license the Feds would take that over. I don't think that would benefit us in the long run. Washington is not known for knowing how to handle things in such a way that benefit the states or the people. Not to mention a decided anti-hunting and anti-fishing attitude among a rather large number of "elitist" lawmakers.

It is a pain for sure, I run into the same problem all the time.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
I can see your point with control and regulation, and agree that having the states regulate it keeps the fisheries viable.

I wouldn't care if it were just a "fishing" license and not "keeping" licence. To just be able to get a line wet legally and have the occasional tight line would be enough in my book. If one wanted to keep any fish, stop and get a stamp for that particular state and then you could pick up the local regs for that fishery. That way the state is still abe to collect the revenue that helps preserve both fisheries and habitats.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Georgia has the best price for a annual non resident fishing licence I've found. It was 24.00 good for a year from the date of purchase. I used to also have KY, Al, NC. but those went up from 32.00 to somewhere around 50.00

25-35 isn't bad for an annual non resident. all those mentioned were good for a year from date of purchase instead of the seasonal.

Yes it would be nice if some of the states could get together and do a combined licence even if it was just a catch and release which is what I do anyway.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many states have inexpensive "day" licenses or 3 day ones. I have also used "pay lakes" from time to time. In salt water areas I use a head boat/party boat. They are cheap and IF if catch anything I get it to those around me.

Michigan has a good day tag for $7 bucks or $21 for 72 hours. Covers all species. Florida 3 day was $17 if I remember correctly.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Many states have inexpensive "day" licenses or 3 day ones. I have also used "pay lakes" from time to time. In salt water areas I use a head boat/party boat. They are cheap and IF if catch anything I get it to those around me.

Michigan has a good day tag for $7 bucks or $21 for 72 hours. Covers all species. Florida 3 day was $17 if I remember correctly.

My state of residence NY will put you into sticker shock.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have fished there. Used to guide there years ago. One the Salmon, the Black and Oswego rivers. Good fishing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have fished there. Used to guide there years ago. One the Salmon, the Black and Oswego rivers. Good fishing.

I live near the Black River, we like fishing in the Oswego River near the end where it flows into Lake Ontario. It is great for salmon fishing in the fall but all summer long there is great bass fishing.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Actually, a few years back, there was a buzz about to have an additional endorsement for your CDL to allow nationwide fishing ...

It never went anywhere though.

Seems to me that a national permit might be much like an IFTA account. No need to keep track of the miles, but for a small sum of, say $200.00, (thereby giving each state $4.00, whether you fish there or not), could be a money maker for them.

I might say though, it should be connected to your liscense from your home state. (Like CCW permit, if you have no liscense for your state of residence, you have no national liscense either.)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually, a few years back, there was a buzz about to have an additional endorsement for your CDL to allow nationwide fishing ...

It never went anywhere though.

Seems to me that a national permit might be much like an IFTA account. No need to keep track of the miles, but for a small sum of, say $200.00, (thereby giving each state $4.00, whether you fish there or not), could be a money maker for them.

I might say though, it should be connected to your liscense from your home state. (Like CCW permit, if you have no liscense for your state of residence, you have no national liscense either.)

If the feds get involved, there WILL be strings. Always is.

A CCW is not really needed and is an intrusion. We have the right to keep and carry arms in the US. We don't NEED special permission.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A CCW is not really needed and is an intrusion. We have the right to keep and carry arms in the US. We don't NEED special permission.

Well when you come down to it, a fishing license is also an intrusion - who has the right to tell anyone that they can't gather food?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well when you come down to it, a fishing license is also an intrusion - who has the right to tell anyone that they can't gather food?

*SIGH* Yes Greg. IF I was gathering food only it would be different.

The idea of a hunting and fishing licenses was REQUESTED by sportsmen. So were all of the special "taxes" we pay on equipment. How else are all of the needed programs and studies that need done going to be paid for? By magic? I know, no one in the State knows anything about fishing regulations either. :rolleyes:

No studies need done. No species reintroduction, habitat protection, limits need set, nothing. Just run about willy nilly doing what ever we want till nothing is left. :eek:

Good idea. We have already lost the "blue pike" out on Lake Erie. Why not everything else? Then the "city people" can boat around and mess up everything without those pesky fishermen in their way!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't have to have a license with the equipment I fish with but don't fish now that the girls are grown and gone.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A license is required here. There are two of them. One costs less for those who choose not to fish for trout or salmon. Those programs are only paid for by those who fish for them.

Our tags are not expensive. Only $15 per year for a resident, $28 if you CHOOSE to fish for trout or salmon. Hardly enough to stop someone from fishing for food. WAY cheaper than cigarettes, tattoo's beer etc etc etc.

The are less for seniors. Maybe we should allow welfare rangers to use food stamps for their license? Makes sense since so MANY of them are being stopped from subsistence fishing by that $15 fee.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can fish anywhere without a license but most don't use the same equipment. I think allowing food stamps to pay for a fishing license is a good idea.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can fish anywhere without a license but most don't use the same equipment. I think allowing food stamps to pay for a fishing license is a good idea.

Several southern states allow fishing without a license if you use a cane pole. There is a lot of good food that could be collected by fishing. It is a good way to keep food costs down. Any bets that few on food stamps bother? Bet they don't put in gardens if they have the space. They don't work together like they in the '30's. My wife's grandparents we share croppers in the south. Any bets that few on few stamps today have that kind of gumption?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Several southern states allow fishing without a license if you use a cane pole. There is a lot of good food that could be collected by fishing. It is a good way to keep food costs down. Any bets that few on food stamps bother? Bet they don't put in gardens if they have the space. They don't work together like they in the '30's. My wife's grandparents we share croppers in the south. Any bets that few on few stamps today have that kind of gumption?

Any ideas on which states? Do you have to be a resident of that state?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have one of those reels I think is called a spin casting, the kind where you see the string and it goes back and forth from side to side. I have a 4 ounce weight shaped like a punching bag. I can see how far it will sail or I can see how close to a set point it will go or whatever. If anyone asks for a license all I have to do is point out you don't need one if you don't have a hook. After I enjoy all the fishing I want then I go to Mike Linnig's or elsewhere good where someone else has done the work of fishing, cleanig, cooking, serving etc. and I enjoy the eating. :D