Naptime

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes I can hardly keep my eyeballs open when driving. I have had plenty of rest. It is boredome, hypnosis, or whatever. Anybody have and suggestions/cure?

Thanks.:+ :+

hdl

Expert Expediter
>Sometimes I can hardly keep my eyeballs open when driving.
>I have had plenty of rest. It is boredome, hypnosis, or
>whatever. Anybody have and suggestions/cure?

When I was OTR with England I found myself in the same situation. I believe much of my situation could be attributed to eating too much (actually a normal meal)at lunch time. Eating a good breakfast with a light lunch may help. I always had the AC cranked up after lunch.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Physically one will definitely be sleepier after eating. When it hits me I will pull into the next rest area or truck stop and get out and walk around for a few minutes. That usually gets me going well. I'll also be more deliberate in turning my head to look into the side mirrors and keeping my eyes moving more than usual. I also look for a radio program other than music that will engage my mind more than just listening to tunes. Keeping the a/c going to stay really cool helps some too. Hopefully at least some will work for you as well. Good luck.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
When I feel like I'm starting to get sleepy, I eat peanuts. The carbs give me a little boost of energy. You can also try beef jerky. It works much the same way.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It is possible that you have a sleep ailment called Sleep Apnea. It is common among men over 50 who are overweight. What happens is that the fatty tissue in the back of your throat blocks the airflow and causes you to stop breathing. This inturrupts your sleep many times during the night, so you may think you are sleeping through the night, but you really aren't. Because of this very sporadic sleep your body isn't absorbing enough oxygen, creating fatigue in your system. The most common treatment is to use a CPAP machine while you are sleeping. The Continous Positive Air Pressure keeps the air passage open so you can sleep normally.

As others have posted, it is possible to get sleepy as your body reacts to too much sugar, too much carbohydrates, etc. If you fit the profile of those who get sleep apnea, you may want to consult your doctor and he can refer you to a sleep clinic. Mike

ogun67

Expert Expediter
He may have Sleep Apnea, but if he does wouldn't that disqualify him from driving? Just wondering?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Too much sugar as mentioned above. Mountain Dew used to put me right out.

I too use peanuts or Beef Jerkey and limit my sugar. Turn the CB on. It will make you so mad, you cant help but stay awake.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Pappy

Expert Expediter
After I had been driving for 4 years and thought I knew a lot I attended N.C. State University's truck driver training School. That school was rated #1 of its kind in the nation at the time. There I was taught a method of using the eyes to prevent fatigue.The same method was also taught to all Bellsouth or Southern Bell telephone employees that drove vehicles. The method is reffered to as the SMITH SYSYEM, and believe me after 34 years OTR and well over 3 million miles, that system has helped me more than I;ll ever be able to tell about.You can visit a website that will tell you all about the system.www.smith-system.com. This system whem used properly will teach you to see things you never would have thought about before,no matter how long you've been driving. I reccommend it for the old pros as well as all newbies. It can and will keep you out of a lot of trouble. Check it out and GOOD LUCK

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I had the same problem till I got Sirrius radio. I usually listen to music during the morning and afternoon, but once 3:00 hits, I turn on Sirrius Right... keeps me going till the wee hours of the morning.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>He may have Sleep Apnea, but if he does wouldn't that
>disqualify him from driving? Just wondering?

I don’t think it would, I haven’t read anything about Sleep Apnea in any regs, but I may have missed it reading too much.

If you getting a full nights sleep and still feel tired, go to the docs and have your blood checked for glucose problems by a real glucose test. The best one is a four hour or better glucose test. Carbs (which includes sugar) is not the best thing to have in any quantities if you have a glucose problem.

If your blood work comes back, go to a sleep disorder expert, not to a general practitioner. Go through a sleep study, which is a night hooked up to a bunch of machines that measure a lot of your brain and body functions. Sleep apnea is somewhat correctable by either by losing weight, mechanical device or surgery.

Sleep apnea is being discovered in young people now, some who are only 15 years old. If it is sleep apnea that causes the problem, believe me that once it is corrected, your life changes for the better.

Also remember that a good balanced diet and some exercise can never be replaced by fast food and Mountain Dew. Eat right!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I think I know what you mean oldprof,

I dont' know what the technical name for it is, but I've alway heard it called "Road Hypnosis"... basically, if you just sit and stare at the road, the lines and reflectors going by in the same rythm will 'hypnotise' you and put you to sleep. One of the biggest things, as others have mentioned, is you keep your eyes and mind active.

Keep your eyes busy, look ahead, glance around, conciously be aware of what's happening around you. If you just sit and stare at the same spot, you're going to put yourself out! I'm a late night talk show person myself... I like to listen to good info, even some of the gospel/preaching shows, that kind of stuff, anything to make ya think... books on tape, whatever...and I talk a lot on the CB...(if there's not too many idiots.. LOL)

When there's no talk shows, crank up the Rock... no slow country, jazz or stuff that makes ya relax... something that gets the blood pumpin!

Other than that, just heavy on the caffeine til about 3 hours before sleepy time!

Dreamer

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A twenty minute power nap will do wonders when those old eyelids want to close. More than that, and you go too far under and it is difficult to regain alertness.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm also a fan of the 20 minute nap. That and and a mug of jo for the road and I'm good for another 3 hours. Hopefully by then the sun is coming up and that makes all the difference in the world.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
theoldprof,

You used the word "boredom" as a possible cause of your drowsiness. In an old office job I once had, while at the top of my game in that career, I started falling asleep at my desk (private office) at all times of day, no matter how much sleep I had the night before. In a word, I'd grown bored.

You did a lot of good research before becomming an expediter. Are you finding the work and life on the road to be intelecutally stimulating, financially adequate, and fun? It may not be about sleep. It may be that the life and work of B-unit solo expediting is simply not interesting enough to fully engage a man of your intellect.

If nothing interesting is on the radio, I'll sometimes use the numbers I see to work a math problem in my head. Take a milepost number and then the last digit or two digits off the next license plate you see. Add, subtract, multiply and divide the numbers into each other. Carry it as far as you wish. Calculate the sqauare root in to a milepost number if you are so inclined.

Editing my post a day later to add another thought. Use time behind the wheel on those long quiet runs to learn Spanish or other language. CD's are available just for that. You can try your language skills out on the Spanish-speaking people you meet on loading docks and elsewhere on the road. Listening to the Spanish-language radio stations can also help.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Regardless of my sleep prior to a night run, I nearly always seem to need a nap between 1600 and 1800 and again between 0300 and 0500, or just before dawn. As a sea faring man, I preferred the early morning watches and usually was wide awake to see the sun rise over the horizon. Perhaps that's why I come alive at about 0500.

Nevertheless, I find the practice of eating shucked sunflower seeds, one at a time, keeps me more alert on the long and booring stretches of road. The XM radio also has so many choices of stations that there is nearly always something on that will stimulate the Old Prof's aging brain cells. An hourly stretch break will also help to recirculate the juices and keep the phlebitis from setting in.

Terry

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes I give my neck a massage to loosen up while driving. Just pressure on a stiff muscle gives me something to do and flex my neck at the same time.

Whatever you do, don't EVER stare at the truck ahead of you! My dad's friend had a brother who got hypnotised by the truck's lights in front of him. He ran into the truck and was decapitated.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, everybody. I am going to print out all these replies for future reference. Thanks to a good family doc who I see regularly, most of the body is in good shape. Although old and fat, I have lost about 12 pounds in the month I have been on the road. I think my problem is a boredom type situation rather than a physical thing. I'll ask the doc the next time I see him.

Thanks. :+ :+

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
>theoldprof,
>
>You used the word "boredom" as a possible cause of your
>drowsiness. In an old office job I once had, while at the
>top of my game in that career, I started falling asleep at
>my desk (private office) at all times of day, no matter how
>much sleep I had the night before. In a word, I'd grown
>bored.
>
>You did a lot of good research before becomming an
>expediter. Are you finding the work and life on the road to
>be intelecutally stimulating, financially adequate, and fun?
>It may not be about sleep. It may be that the life and work
>of B-unit solo expediting is simply not interesting enough
>to fully engage a man of your intellect.
>
>If nothing interesting is on the radio, I'll sometimes use
>the numbers I see to work a math problem in my head. Take a
>milepost number and then the last digit or two digits off
>the next license plate you see. Add, subtract, multiply and
>divide the numbers into each other. Carry it as far as you
>wish. Calculate the sqauare root in to a milepost number if
>you are so inclined.

"to fully engage a man of your intellect." Good grief, have I spread around that much BS? :+ :+