My Nephew

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am proud to say that this fine young man is my nephew. I do hope that in some small way my influence helped him to rise to this.:) Layoutshooter

Sergeant John A. Marra, Jr., United States Army,
Heroically distinguished himself through exceptionally valorous conduct in the face of the
enemy of the United States while assigned as a Military Police Soldier, 303rd Military Police Company, Forward Operating Base Summerall on 24 October 2007, during OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM 06-07.

His heroic actions during combat operations in Iraq contributed to the overwhelming success of the command’s mission. While conducting an orientation patrol inside of Bayji, Iraq, CPL Marra was serving as a team member in the second vehicle of a four vehicle combat patrol when an Improvised Explosive Device struck the fourth vehicle flipping it onto the driver’s side trapping three Soldiers inside. CPL Marra immediately left the safety of his M1117 Armored Security Vehicle and began to make his way to the blast site.

While taking small arms fire, CPL Marra disregarded his personal safety and ran across the kill zone into a hostile area where the severely damaged M1151 Up armored HMMWV was located in order to render first aid to his fellow Soldiers. CPL Marra climbed on top of the overturned vehicle, exposing himself to enemy fire that was landing immediately next to the vehicle as well as on the wall just behind him, and proceeded to open the vehicle door and extract the casualties from inside. Once the casualty was free, CPL Marra helped to lower him down and behind cover. CPL Marra, without hesitation, began to treat the wounded.

Seeing his squad leader unresponsive with a very weak pulse and barely breathing, CPL Marra was able to insert a Nasal Pharyngeal Airway into his nose, which is believed to have saved him from choking to death and ultimately saved his life.

While continuing to assess the wounded Soldier, it was determined that he needed to be taken to a more advanced medical treatment facility. CPL Marra once again demonstrated exceptional courage and the utmost loyalty for his fellow soldier by volunteering to take his wounded squad leader in the back of a local Iraqi Police non-armored pick-up truck to the Iraqi Police Station where coalition medical personnel were standing by. CPL Marra helped load the casualty into the bed of the Iraqi Police truck and then continued to perform life saving measures on his patient while traveling through the heart of one of the most dangerous cities in his area of operation.

While traveling a half mile to the Iraqi Police Station in the back of an open bed non-armored Iraqi Police truck, CPL Marra continually performed CPR on his wounded squad leader in order to keep him alive. CPL Marra’s actions, tremendous determination, quick thinking, extraordinary ability to stay calm under fire and undeniable courage directly contributed the saving of his squad leader’s life.

CPL Marra’s actions are in keeping with the finest traditions of military service and reflect distinct credit upon himself, the Multi-National Corps-Iraq and the United States Army.

Attachments

• DSC_0156.jpg
    DSC_0156.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 11

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Awesome just awesome!

When our daughter went through the field medical training it scared me to death. This just goes to show how important that training really is.

He did a really great job!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He is one of America's finest. Annother in the long family line that has serving this country with pride, integrety and bravery. If my somewhat forgetful son would ever send the pictures of his medal ceremony I will post those too. Layoutshooter

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
That is so awesome layout! You certainly have every right to be so proud of such a wonderful and courageous young man! As an American citizen, I am very proud and thankful for all of the service men and women that are risking their very lives in service of this country. :)

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Shooter....Tell that young nephew of yours that we are thankful for his service. When our son was over there I was a nervous wreck. He was an MP with the 82nd Airborne 2001-2005.
Now, he's a Deputy down in Collier County, FL.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will pass this on to him. I think I would be more nervous if my son or nephew were with that sherrifs department!!! Layoutshooter

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I missed what medal that citation was for. .

and to misquote Patton:Thank the gods for men of such character.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks and I hope I was. I would have done my job as an uncle then. It is the responsibilty of the "leading" generation to pass on thier beliefs, morals and honor to the "following" generation. Layoutshooter