My best friend Snaps

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
In June my little friend turned 17 years old. For a dog that was quite the feat. Poor little guy was blind in one eye and deaf in one ear, but had a heart like a new pup. he never barked at anyone in anger and would have probably sold me out for a pork chop, lol. He traveled the world with me and he loved seeing and smelling the new sites, but most of all, he would always always be the happiest just to be with me.
I remember when he was just a baby and he fit into the palm of my hand...he would nip at my fingertips playfully and let out a yip like he was trying to talk to me. I dubbed him Snaps. Over the years he would do things like sit up on his hind legs and watch tv with me, stand on my forehead when it was time for me to get up and feed him, and slurp my face with the tail wagging so hard he moved to and fro like a slinky. Mostly i remember the love in his eyes when we were together...
It is very hard for me to do this....Late last night , my best friend was taken from me, in my own driveway by an idiot who backed in instead of driving in. I was not even there...i got home in time to rush him to the vet, where in a coma, he died in my arms.
I have never felt so alone. I know this will pass in time, but i feel that i must express my grief or go insane. I will miss him terribly, he was all i had left.
Thanx for listening.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
So sorry to hear about Snaps - and empty place that will be hard to fill.
Time will be a great healer in due course.

There are many members on EO who have lost their companion - I'm sure that they will give you support

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Scott, I don't have anything to say that will help you right now other than Shirley and I certainly know what you are going through. I'm so very sorry for your loss in such a tragic way.

You know that we have our kids cremated and I take a bit of the ashes and put them in a charm that I wear. That way, Snaps would always be with you, if only in spirit.

Take care,
Steve.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am sorry for your loss...but while the pain is now and it will come and go...the Great memories of the times with your best from will be there forever.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met Scott and Snaps a few months ago when we both found our way into the Load1 family. I quickly became friends with the two of them. Whenever Scott was around I always was eager to a visit with Snaps also. Sometimes when saying hi to Snaps would take a minute for the little guy to figure out exactly where you were, he really made an impression on me in that time. My phone even says Scott & Snaps when he calls to talk because they were definitely a team.

I know Scott will miss him in a way that only time can heal and I will miss my visits with him when Scott is around.

Ride on Snaps I will miss you.

Last edited:

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Sorry for your loss Scott. 17 years is a long time with your dog. They were great years and great memories, I am sure.

We share your pain. On July 5th we loss our dog as well. She was 19 years old, we had her as a member of our family for 17 years. Yes member of the family. The pet is one of the kids. So we understand exactly how you feel, with the loss of your family member as well.

Sorry for the pain and the hole that will be hard to fill.

djdelivery

Active Expediter
We know just how you feel, we lost our best friend Ben on Easter. Very similar circumstances. And there is a hole in our hearts where he belongs. We are sorry to hear of Snaps loss.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Scott love ya man...I know that you an Snaps had a great life together...I seen the love you had for him first hand, I've known you for close to 3 years now buddy I'll miss snaps too...Just remember all the great times y'all have shared...I'll be here for ya always buddy...Love ya man

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Awww - it is soooo hard to lose the wonderful companions we love.
I lost my Pug/Boston terrier just before I signed on with Load 1, and I miss her goofy face every day, still.
I'm still feeling like I don't wanna go through this again, but I know others handle it differently - do you think you will get another dog [not to replace Snaps, each pet is irreplaceable] sooner or later?
Sometimes I want to and then I don't.....:(

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I lost my Pug/Boston terrier just before I signed on with Load 1, and I miss her goofy face every day, still.
I'm still feeling like I don't wanna go through this again, but I know others handle it differently - do you think you will get another dog [not to replace Snaps, each pet is irreplaceable] sooner or later?

He already got a pup Cheri. Cute little girl. He named her "Zoe".
Snaps is still there supervising the whole operation.:)

xxiv24

Expert Expediter

Yes as Steve said, I did in fact, proceed with adding a new roadie to the van. While Snaps will forever be in my heart, and i still feel his loss deeply, little Zoe is filling the role nicely. She doesn't want to ride in the seat yet, the floor seems to be her favorite riding space.
I guess for my part, after having Snaps with me all of these years, i simply could not function without him being there...looking at the empty passenger seat daily was too much and quitting was fast becoming an option. Zoe has been the answer for me, but as you said we all are diffe rent in the ways that we choose to grieve. I think on how this has effected me and i certainly do not wish to repeat the event as far as the feelings go, but you know, in the end another good 16 years or more is worth a bit of pain.
Snaps is with me still, on the dash instead of the seat. As long as he is near we are still together and it is all good.
Sorry for the delayed post and again thanx for all the kind words from everyone.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
On the dash? I have this picture in my mind of Snaps wearing a pair of goggles staring out the windshield. "Snaps is your co-pilot"