My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 9858 come on RT!!! another 2 lbs bits the dust!!!

I keep finding them :(

My graph looks bad, I think I've lost my motivation. Ever since my home move in July it's been a rocky road. I know I can drop 10 pretty easy, but then put it right back on. Too many times the haunting words of "I don't care" filter my head. Comfort food has been taking over. I just feel so blah these days, I know that has a lot to do with it.
weight_chart.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I keep finding them :(

My graph looks bad, I think I've lost my motivation. Ever since my home move in July it's been a rocky road. I know I can drop 10 pretty easy, but then put it right back on. Too many times the haunting words of "I don't care" filter my head. Comfort food has been taking over. I just feel so blah these days, I know that has a lot to do with it.
View attachment 9859

well at least you are aware of where you went off track....maybe an old fashioned heart issue to smack you in the side of the head as a reality check?......worse thing is holiday seasons coming up....T day and then Christmas.....hard time to lose....

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
well at least you are aware of where you went off track....maybe an old fashioned heart issue to smack you in the side of the head as a reality check?......worse thing is holiday seasons coming up....T day and then Christmas.....hard time to lose....

I'll pass on a heart issue for motivation haha. I know what the main issues are that have me in the dumps, but not a lot I can do about them. I just need to get past them and move on, without trying to eat them away :rolleyes:

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
I juiced back about 10 years ago. I enjoyed it, but got sick of the not so "easy clean up".

I used to juice also and stopped for the same reason. I now have a nutribullet and I don't have the messy clean up. Just rinse and go. No skin to clean. I get more nutrients by not separating the skin or seeds or pulp. More like smoothie and not just juice and I feel full. I love it. Oh, and I take it right into the truckstop and plug it in for 2 minutes and voila.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
no-bellyprize_zps0e376fa3.gif

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lot of trending towards more protein... Lotsa oroducts are low on it and leaves you feeling hungry after eating..... High protein products makes you feel full.,,,,

Lotta junk snack food has very little hence you snack even more because you are still hungry

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Lot of trending towards more protein... Lotsa oroducts are low on it and leaves you feeling hungry after eating..... High protein products makes you feel full.,,,,

Lotta junk snack food has very little hence you snack even more because you are still hungry

I have found what OVM says to be true regarding protein.

Since Diane and I came off the road and opened an Anytime Fitness gym, I have lost 25 lbs and am now only 10 lbs. away from what I weighed at age 18 when I graduated from Army basic training. That is due more to diet than exercise. It's getting better now that the gym has been open for a while, but before, it was very difficult to find time to work out while getting the new business started.

Formal study and hanging out with fitness people all day long has improved my health and fitness knowledge. For the first time ever, I tried protein shakes made from whey protein powder (and found them to be delicious). With the very first shake I noticed an immediate change in appetite. The desire to eat simply faded, because, as OVM said, protein makes you feel full.

While it is important to keep eating throughout the day, protein makes it easier to eat smart. If you find yourself giving into carb and sugar cravings throughout the day (comfort food), try a protein shake when the cravings kick in. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Protein products vary in quality, ingredients and price. Because the good stuff provides the desired benefits, it is important to use the good stuff and not stuff that is designed to sell at a low price and profit the product manufacturer.

At first glance, powdered protein is expensive. It comes in large bottles, which may create a space issue in a truck, but per serving, it is cheaper than coffee purchased over the counter. With the brand I use (Cellucor), two servings per day provide 100% of my daily protein allowance.

Meat prices are going up. When you are getting 100% of your protein RDA with shakes, you can reduce the money you spend on meat (also a protein source).

Two servings per day are enough, but if you use a third serving in the day to fend off the junk food urge, you are even more money ahead; and you're eating better too!

Protein bars and refrigerated pre-mixed shakes are also available and popular with many people. But dollar-for-dollar, the powder provides the best value per serving. It is easy to store since it does not require refrigeration. The jugs are durable enough to hold up while being stored under the bunk, in a cargo compartment or other truck storage place.

If you carry whey protein powder it in the truck, an ample supply will be always available to you wherever you are, anytime of the day or night. That's important because carb and sugar cravings can also come anytime of the day or night.

Shaker bottles are used to make up the shakes and clean-up is easy. Simply dump a scoop of protein powder into the shaker bottle (the scoop is included in the protein jug), add water, shake and drink. To clean up, rinse out the shaker bottle.

If you find yourself near Port Orange Florida, stop in and we will give you a free protein shake sample (and shower too if you want one).

Last edited:

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Foods like Kale also provide a tremendous amount of protein. More than meat. You would be surprised at the vegetables that have as much or more protein than meat. Just another option.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I watch what I eat every day. I have been for a long time now. I watch it slide off my fork and go right into my mouth. I watch a lot of delicious foods go into my mouth daily. I'm currently on the "see food diet." Whatever food I see I simply eat! I know one thing. I'm going to die happy!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I watch what I eat every day. I have been for a long time now. I watch it slide off my fork and go right into my mouth. I watch a lot of delicious foods go into my mouth daily. I'm currently on the "see food diet." Whatever food I see I simply eat! I know one thing. I'm going to die happy!

With that approach, your happy event is likely to come sooner than later.

Healthy eaters live longer than unhealthy ones and they feel better, look better, have more mobility and have more energy every day they are alive. Also, their ability to fight off and recover from illnesses and injuries is enhanced.

That said, eating is indeed a source of happiness for many people. It is not uncommon to hear from obese people who join the gym that food is their friend.

The term "comfort food" is more than a phrase. For many people, they dont' eat because they are hungry. They don't stop at the full point. They eat and continue to eat because it helps them feel better.

While eating to feel better provides that temporary meal-time or snack-time benefit, it also comes at a price. The price includes the cost of the food itself and the loss of the good health and longer life you might otherwise enjoy.

When making the shift from unhealthy eating to healthy eating, there is a mental crossover point that is reached. Foods that once looked and tasted good to you look and taste good no longer.

While eating is still a joy, the joy in healthy eating takes a different form. Your mindset changes. You do not take pleasure in the meal because eating feels good. You feel good while eating because the food tastes good and you know you are doing something good for yourself and those who care about you.

That mental crossover point is difficult to appreciate until you achieve it but it is a very real thing. I used to eat a lot of fast food. A drive-through meal or snack used to be very satisfying. These days, I drive past a dozen fast-food restaurants on my way to and from work. Where the thought of stopping at one of them for a drive-through treat used to be attractive, it is now repulsive.

Every now and then, the thought of stopping in for a fast-food treat enters my mind but that is followed by an immediate shudder and grunt as remember how it used to feel to walk around with a carb-inflated, fat-inflated gut. Even if I am hungry and tired (fatigue diminishes will power), it has become not just easy but desirable to drive past those places and eat good food instead.

So too with Diet Pepsi. We used to drink several bottles a day of the stuff when we were on the road. At our Walmart stops, Diane frequently hauled several packs of the stuff back to the truck. If we went too long without a swig, a craving for it would develop and we'd indulge that craving without giving it a second thought. Off the road, we gradually cut back to near zero Pepsi consumption, simply drinking water instead. The cravings are gone and Pepsi no longer tastes good to us. Water is more satisfying.

Be it unhealthy eating or healthy eating, it is a habit. Habits are developed over time and, because they are habits, they influence our daily choices. The mental shift and the change in meal-time satisfaction occurs when a new habit takes the place of the old.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With that approach, your happy event is likely to come sooner than later.

Healthy eaters live longer than unhealthy ones and they feel better, look better, have more mobility and have more energy every day they are alive. Also, their ability to fight off and recover from illnesses and injuries is enhanced.

That said, eating is indeed a source of happiness for many people. It is not uncommon to hear from obese people who join the gym that food is their friend.

The term "comfort food" is more than a phrase. For many people, they dont' eat because they are hungry. They don't stop at the full point. They eat and continue to eat because it helps them feel better.

While eating to feel better provides that temporary meal-time or snack-time benefit, it also comes at a price. The price includes the cost of the food itself and the loss of the good health and longer life you might otherwise enjoy.

When making the shift from unhealthy eating to healthy eating, there is a mental crossover point that is reached. Foods that once looked and tasted good to you look and taste good no longer.

While eating is still a joy, the joy in healthy eating takes a different form. Your mindset changes. You do not take pleasure in the meal because eating feels good. You feel good while eating because the food tastes good and you know you are doing something good for yourself and those who care about you.

That mental crossover point is difficult to appreciate until you achieve it but it is a very real thing. I used to eat a lot of fast food. A drive-through meal or snack used to be very satisfying. These days, I drive past a dozen fast-food restaurants on my way to and from work. Where the thought of stopping at one of them for a drive-through treat used to be attractive, it is now repulsive.

Every now and then, the thought of stopping in for a fast-food treat enters my mind but that is followed by an immediate shudder and grunt as remember how it used to feel to walk around with a carb-inflated, fat-inflated gut. Even if I am hungry and tired (fatigue diminishes will power), it has become not just easy but desirable to drive past those places and eat good food instead.

So too with Diet Pepsi. We used to drink several bottles a day of the stuff when we were on the road. At our Walmart stops, Diane frequently hauled several packs of the stuff back to the truck. If we went too long without a swig, a craving for it would develop and we'd indulge that craving without giving it a second thought. Off the road, we gradually cut back to near zero Pepsi consumption, simply drinking water instead. The cravings are gone and Pepsi no longer tastes good to us. Water is more satisfying.

Be it unhealthy eating or healthy eating, it is a habit. Habits are developed over time and, because they are habits, they influence our daily choices. The mental shift and the change in meal-time satisfaction occurs when a new habit takes the place of the old.

I am on the Propel habit now....I can't do plain water...Propel still has a little sodium in it but within reason.....and I still have a case of my Diet Pepsi from last month...I might have 1 a day now....

I also average between 1-2 miles a day doing what I call "Wally Walkin"....