Multi-Carrier Thread

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
This thread is for those of us who run for multiple carriers. Got questions or comments? We can share experiences, what is working and what is not. Have a huge week or month and want to brag? Have a bad week or month and want to whine?

yayashas

Seasoned Expediter
Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums
What carriers are ok with it if you running for other carrier also?

Last edited:

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums
What carriers are ok with it if you running for other carrier also?

With a vehicle under 10,000 gvw there are many. Those that sticker your van, install qualcomm and put you on their insurance wont.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Back home after only four days on the road! 4 Days, 4 Loads, 1691 paid miles. Thanks Eclipse and On Call Logistics! (2 loads each)

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Hanging out in Charlotte, NC load delivers on Monday. Hotel Time!

Loads this week by On Call Logistics (3) and Express Famly (1) 1900 miles total

Average rate per mile was very good!

lazyboyvan

Active Expediter
I was previously with FedEx. Recently purchase my own cargo van and just finished my second week with mulitple carriers. Good week. - 1st load was 7 miles from home on Monday (Canton, MI) - then 7 loads with 3 carriers 1,985 loaded miles - last load brought me Friday to Metro airport (DTW) - now home for weekend.

Happy Father's Day!

Last edited:

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Ended the week in Laredo, Tx.
1750 loaded mile, all over $1 a mile.
On Call Logistics was the only carrier I ran for this week.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Making the transition from driver to Operations Manager at On Call Logistics. Been off the road for a little over a week now. Really wierd how much I actually miss being on the road. There is just something about cruising down the freeway at 2am with the windows downs that makes me smile. I do love the extra time with the wife and the challenge of the new position. Prayin for ya all out there!

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
so your new carrier supports the multi-carrier platform?

I have ran for multiple carriers for the last 9 months and I have been extremely happy with the results. So yes we allow our drivers to run for multiple carriers. Our hope however, is that after 90 days with us, that our independant contrators won't have a need or desire to run for anyone else. We will have to earn that with them first.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have ran for multiple carriers for the last 9 months and I have been extremely happy with the results. So yes we allow our drivers to run for multiple carriers. Our hope however, is that after 90 days with us, that our independant contrators won't have a need or desire to run for anyone else. We will have to earn that with them first.

That's a good phyilosiphy to have. You should do well if you stick to your guns. Good luck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is there THAT much freight out there that you can just open up and get enough freight to keep people busy and profitable ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is there THAT much freight out there that you can just open up and get enough freight to keep people busy and profitable ?

actually...No...it's just one carrier borrowing from another....lately 2 known little ones have ceased operations and probably many more....and not one offer anything different then the others...the bottom line the O/O out here is no further ahead...no matter the hype one drums up...There is NO strategic advantage to running multiple carrier....

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter

Well, On Call Logistics isn't just a new start-up. They were one of the first companies that I signed on with. With that said, yes there is freight to keep people busy and profitable. We will set a limit to the amount of trucks that we take on and then grow our fleet as our customer base grows.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
actually...No...it's just one carrier borrowing from another....lately 2 known little ones have ceased operations and probably many more....and not one offer anything different then the others...the bottom line the O/O out here is no further ahead...no matter the hype one drums up...There is NO strategic advantage to running multiple carrier....

I have to disagree OVM. Most companies that have failed, have not failed because of the lack of frieght but more because of mismanagement. Are there companies out there that have prospered and grown? Sure there is. Most companies in most industries don't succeed but some that you call "little ones" will end up being industry leaders.

As for NO strategic advantage for running for multiple carriers... I would be willing to bet that 80% of the cargo van drivers that drive for one carrier, had a lower net than I did running for 4 to 6 carriers this year. No mattter where I went I was first out with a couple carriers and less days sitting does equal a higher net as long as you are not running for peanuts.

It's not how much you run and
It's not how much you run for,
It's how much you get to put in the bank...$$$ :D