Moving west

panorris62

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I are considering the expediting business but we are also considering moving out to Nevada. The question I have is, are there any expediting companies that work nationally or are most of them operating in the eastern part of the U.S.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife and I are considering the expediting business but we are also considering moving out to Nevada. The question I have is, are there any expediting companies that work nationally or are most of them operating in the eastern part of the U.S.

Welcome to the west.... your big expediting carriers pull freight from across the nation...and some smaller ones do as well but don't have all the contacts...most of your expedite loads will come from east of the Mississippi...unfortunately.

The I 35 corridor is getting better all the time...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
According to the US census it is still part of the midwest.

Shoot Greg, what does the government know? They lump the Great State of Michigan into the "mid-west". WE are our OWN region, the Great Lakes Region. Man, everybody knows that! Except the government of course. Geez, how silly can they get?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well OK I guess if you want to have it that way, I then contend that if they can't figure out what is what, they have no business telling me I can't fill in my 80 acres of "wetlands" because to me they can't tell what is or isn't wetlands. :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well OK I guess if you want to have it that way, I then contend that if they can't figure out what is what, they have no business telling me I can't fill in my 80 acres of "wetlands" because to me they can't tell what is or isn't wetlands. :p

Maybe they can't, but I can. LOL!! Why in the world would ANYONE want to fill in wetlands anyway? Why would you want to "fill in" 80 acres? Man, you don't know squat. :p I told you before, if you want more information, advice and suggestions on that land, let me know. I KNOW the right people that can help. Both in and out of government. There are MANY ways to work around problems, but only IF you want too.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Now that we've learned about wetland and dry lands, expediting is primarily about manufacturing, and there is very little manufacturing in Nevada. There are expedited loads out west, but they are quite literally few and far between.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Now that we've learned about wetland and dry lands, expediting is primarily about manufacturing, and there is very little manufacturing in Nevada. There are expedited loads out west, but they are quite literally few and far between.

There are regional trucks with FedEx CC that stay in the west and do quite well. A lift gate and reefer are usually required though.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are regional trucks with FedEx CC that stay in the west and do quite well. A lift gate and reefer are usually required though.

DOD clearances are a must. So is being a part of security programs, assuming being leased with FDCC.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

At a recent ExpeditersOnline workshop, Diane and I watched recruiters from several companies introduce themselves and their companies to the attendees. Every one of them said they service 48 states and Canada and every one of them spoke the truth.

But HOW they service 48 states and Canada and HOW OFTEN varies greatly. Even within the same carrier, western-state runs can vary in their frequency and pay. You might be in and out of there in fantastic fashion three times in a row, and then end up sitting so long the fourth time that the value of the first three is undermined. Or you might have a great couple of months running just in the western states and then see it turn to crap for a while.

In general, the cheaper you are willing to run and the more you are willing to deadhead (relocate with little or no pay), the more you can operate in the areas you prefer. Of course, the trade-off is profitability. The cheaper you are willing to run and the more you are willing to deadhead, the less profitable your operation will be. And there is a trade-off there too. The higher price you charge and the longer you wait in an area for freight to bubble up close by, the fewer your opportunities will be.

Welcome to expediting; a business of trade-offs.

Another approach would to be to consider how often you need and want to get home to Nevada. Think about freeing yourself from Nevada to run as hard as you can anywhere in the country and making special trips home only a few times a year. With that approach, it would not matter where you live. You run as hard as you can wherever you can and simply deadhead home when you need to.

Take a look at my trip maps to get a sense of how Diane and I run and how often we get in and out of Nevada. Note that your trip map and that of most other expediters will not be the same because load selection priorities differ.

The map shows where we went. It does not show the loads going to or from Nevada that we turned down for reasons that made good sense to us. You might be thrilled with such loads because they take you toward home or back out when you want to go.

Finally, note that companies differ in their ability and willingness to get you home. Some might work hard to get you home when you have been out for a while. Others could not care less. Some companies will say they can dispatch you in a particular direction (toward home), but how effective they are in actually doing so varies, from company to company, and from time to time within a company.

As an expediter, you can, with 100 percent certainty, get home to Nevada as often as you wish and whenever you want, but to do so you may have do drive home on your own dime. If you are in a fleet owner's truck, you will need him or her to tolerate the empty trips home you wish to make and the down time you have while you are there.

Last edited:

Batman

Seasoned Expediter
Not an expeditor, just an EO forum reader. When I was vacationing in Arizona this past July (went to Flagstaff and Grand Canyon) I saw a straight truck with sleeper heading north on I-17 just north of Phoenix (as i was heading back to Phoenix to catch our flight back to Indy). I can't remember who the carrier was on the side of the truck but it was'nt one that advertises on here so there it was probably some regional carrier that operate in the AZ, NV, UT area.