Moving up...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I moved up to a tractor Fedex CC required a road test at one of their approved schools. That took care of the lack of experience. After a few months I moved back down to my trusty Sprinter.

BigCheese

Seasoned Expediter
I guess my move would be considered moving down. I've been driving TT many years and now that the kids are grown and the last one is finishing college this year my wife and I have decided to go over the road as a team. She will be finishing her CDL B training in a few weeks and hopefully we will find a good Fleet Owner to contract with. We both have been doing are research and lots of reading on this site and others and I've been talking to drivers in Truck Stops and other places I happen to run in to them. We still haven't figured out what carrier is better then the next but hopefully within the next week or two we will start filling out applications. Still trying to figure out what all the abbreviations mean. Have to agree with Hawk on some of the old info on here being pretty stale though. Hopefully we will be out there expediting with all of you soon.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Part of the versatility is not be limited to and stuck on auto industry although cargo van loads in a TT paying TT time critical rates are a bonus from time to time. I realize there is a lot more to expediting than auto parts but for most of these small cargo vans that's the only sand box they play in. I "expedite" general freight and bulk commodities all the time. I only exploit auto parts or air freight when trucks are scarce.

You'd be amazed what some general commodities that typically move on the spot market will pay when one of these mega carriers can't service their own account or a non-asset like TQL is trying to stay in good standing with a customer. They have very deep pockets indeed. It's a good thing most times that the freight moves for nothing and they can afford to do that once in a while. I bring nothing to the table except for my one truck. Glad to help anyone who will pay the rate.

I shamelessly capitalize on those in need. About 6 months out of the year it's really good working spot. 3 months are so, so. And 3 would be slow is what I have seen over the past few years. I don't know how or if it is even possible to leverage cargo vans like that. I imagine the expedite mafia carriers would be pretty upset if it was because that would really rock the boat.

Lone wolf's such as myself are disliked by carriers with old models. Who does he think he is demanding a rate like that my trucks don't even get that? Wouldn't have it any other way. If you enjoy the haggle and can smell the blood in the water you can do very well with a TT on the open market. Only way to truck in a one truck operation. Do what others can't or won't and charge accordingly. With ever restrictive regulations and aging drivers retiring capacity will continually get tighter. Even worse if the economy wasn't half shambles and actually turned around.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I guess my move would be considered moving down. I've been driving TT many years and now that the kids are grown and the last one is finishing college this year my wife and I have decided to go over the road as a team. She will be finishing her CDL B training in a few weeks and hopefully we will find a good Fleet Owner to contract with. We both have been doing are research and lots of reading on this site and others and I've been talking to drivers in Truck Stops and other places I happen to run in to them. We still haven't figured out what carrier is better then the next but hopefully within the next week or two we will start filling out applications. Still trying to figure out what all the abbreviations mean. Have to agree with Hawk on some of the old info on here being pretty stale though. Hopefully we will be out there expediting with all of you soon.

If you don't know what an abbreviation is just ask. No one will beat you up. What companies have you guys been looking at?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll even expand it. I'd like to hear from those who considered moving up, why they considered it, and why they didn't do it.
I have on occasion considered moving to a tractor/trailer. Then I remember I drove T/T for 20 years.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But talking about normal freight that goes on expedite trucks, your ability to hold 32 skids vs 12 vs 2 skids comes into play. I've wondered that every time a customer had to turn away my truck, due to it not being big enough for their freight.
I've often wondered why a shipper would book an expedite T/T and pay expedite rates. Why not deal with a large truckload carrier that runs teams or has the ability to relay the trailer. If you are pulling a 53" dry box, aren't you competing with the large TL carriers?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've often wondered why a shipper would book an expedite T/T and pay expedite rates. Why not deal with a large truckload carrier that runs teams or has the ability to relay the trailer. If you are pulling a 53" dry box, aren't you competing with the large TL carriers?

Because you get what you pay for. As Rollincoal was saying, he services the customer when the big carriers can't supply what the customer needs. The real expedite carriers/contractors do the same thing. Most of the truckload carriers put 'expedite' in their brochures as a tagline to get people think they give a crap.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Guys with miles mentalities or ones who are always trying to meet minimum daily revenue goals are the ones trying to compete with the railroads and running so cheap.

The miles mentality so prevalent in our industry plays right into my hands. Good teams, and even solos, at most any dry van company do not want to run 500 miles or less. They only get paid 30-40 cents per mile anyways. They always want 1,000-,2,000 mile hauls. Very few companies pay their drivers on percentage but even if they did you would still have a majority of drivers preferring a 2,000 mile run paying $4,000 over a 650 mile haul paying $3,000. Crazy but true.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Each vehicle class has its advantage. Although a van can be a tough gig depending on circumstances. We did tractors and many hotshots with gooseneck trailers. No experience with vans other than booking loads for them. Straights became my favorite because that is the only truck the wife would drive when we were on the road. So our decision was made easy. lol

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because you get what you pay for. As Rollincoal was saying, he services the customer when the big carriers can't supply what the customer needs. The real expedite carriers/contractors do the same thing.
Part of "servicing the customer" and "get what you pay for" also involves supplying the right size equipment at a competitive price. why pay for a 53' trailer when a 24' truck will do?

My personal belief that for expediting or what expediting once was (door to door direct, exclusive use) a straight truck is the way to go. One problem with a ST though, if expedite doesn't work you have limited opportunities to use the truck. A common 3 axle tractor can be put to work just about anywhere.

I also believe that if a real driver shortage were to have a serious effect on the expedite industry, large expedite carriers would recruit solo drivers with tractors to pull company trailers and relay on long runs.

Most of the truckload carriers put 'expedite' in their brochures as a tagline to get people think they give a crap.
I agree! LTL carriers also.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is not always a cargo van or straight truck around the block to haul every load that will fit on them. It is what it is. If the freight has to go then it will go at full truckload rate.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Part of "servicing the customer" and "get what you pay for" also involves supplying the right size equipment at a competitive price. why pay for a 53' trailer when a 24' truck will do?

My personal belief that for expediting or what expediting once was (door to door direct, exclusive use) a straight truck is the way to go. One problem with a ST though, if expedite doesn't work you have limited opportunities to use the truck. A common 3 axle tractor can be put to work just about anywhere.

I also believe that if a real driver shortage were to have a serious effect on the expedite industry, large expedite carriers would recruit solo drivers with tractors to pull company trailers and relay on long runs.

I agree! LTL carriers also.

Agree for the most part. Like you said, straights are only good while there's expedite freight. Then, if your company allows you to hunt for your own freight, you're pretty much relegated to LTL loads. You write your own ticket in a t/t, but it's certainly not easy street, from what I've read.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Each vehicle class has its advantage. Although a van can be a tough gig depending on circumstances. We did tractors and many hotshots with gooseneck trailers. No experience with vans other than booking loads for them. Straights became my favorite because that is the only truck the wife would drive when we were on the road. So our decision was made easy. lol

Do you have any tractors now, or just straights?

BigCheese

Seasoned Expediter
If you don't know what an abbreviation is just ask. No one will beat you up. What companies have you guys been looking at?

Filled out app with Panther. Been looking at Load One and FedExCC, but both those want 6 months driving time. My wife doesn't have that.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Do you have any tractors now, or just straights?

Just straights at the moment. We have consider tractors again but many of the folks running them jump quite a bit from company to company looking for a greener pasture. I think if I did it again, it would be specialized dedicated running. With the nature of expediting, one or two bad weeks, and they are looking. Not sure I want to deal with that. But the right situation I would consider it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just straights at the moment. We have consider tractors again but many of the folks running them jump quite a bit from company to company looking for a greener pasture. I think if I did it again, it would be specialized dedicated running. With the nature of expediting, one or two bad weeks, and they are looking. Not sure I want to deal with that. But the right situation I would consider it.

Probably a good call. The truckload mentality focuses on quantity, not quality. I would almost have to say that a trucker would have to grow up on expedite, before they can appreciate expedite. Of course there are exceptions to that. But that mentality is still apparent in those who celebrate miles, within the expedite sector.