More Cutbacks at Ford.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Announced today:
Windsor and Essex engine plants are also affected.

The production cutbacks of 21% will result in what Ford calls downtime at the following assembly plants in the fourth quarter, and the vehicles made:
St. Thomas, Ontario (Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis);

Chicago (Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle and Mercury Montego);

Wixom, (Lincoln Town Car);

Louisville, Ky. (Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer);

Michigan Truck in Wayne:(Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator);

Twin Cities, Minn. (Ford Ranger);

and all F-Series truck plants (Kansas City, Mo.; Norfolk, Va.; Dearborn and Kentucky Truck in Louisville).

The following plants are expected to operate on straight time or overtime based on consumer demand:

Hermosillo, Mexico (Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ);

AutoAlliance International in Flat Rock, (Ford Mustang);

Oakville, Ontario (Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX and Ford Freestar);

Wayne, (Ford Focus);

Kansas City, Mo. (Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner);

Ohio Assembly in Avon Lake, Ohio (Ford Econoline); and Atlanta (Ford Taurus).

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Rob hi not just these ford plants,But also ALOT of suppliers who supply these plants with parts will also be affected.Here we go again with the ripple down affect...Have a great weekend guys and gals and be safe always...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know that Ford need to take lessons from the real leaders of the automotive industry - like I said before.

With the glut of vehicles in their inventory just sitting there, maybe they need to do what John Willys did 100 years ago, sell everything at cost to elminiate the stock and generate revenue from what they already have.

Would this help? I think so because this will allow them to buy time to really focus on improving the product but with their focus on profit before anything else they do including shutting down production can be destructive.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Ford is controlling their own demise. The boycott by the American Family Association is working. Ford is one of the largest supporters for the legalization of gay marriage in the US. Ford should remain neutral in this matter but they just will not get the hint. Conservative people out in the heartland will not support a company who is trying to shove something down their throats that they find immoral. Ford has been inundated with letters, e-mails and phone calls by people opposed to their stance on this issue. Ford will not budge. It seems they would rather watch their company go into bankruptcy than to change course on this issue.
Here is a link to a letter sent by 78 Ford dealers in the Dallas area asking them to re-evaluate their stance on this subject.
http://www.afa.net/fordtexasletter.asp

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
M Singer: please explain how people can feel that "Ford is trying to shove something down their throats that they find immoral" by placing advertising in magazines that heterosexual people would have no reason to be reading?

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Because Ford is promoting a lifestyle that a majority of people do not agree with. When people by products from Ford they are indirectly furthering the agenda because Ford relies on sales to be able to spend the money on the advertisements.
I am not saying that Ford should come out...pardon the pun...against gay marriage because then they would then face boycotts from the gays.
They need to be neutral as this subject really has nothing to do with automotive sales but they are obviously too dumb to realize it. It's just too bad that they have to bring the suppliers and dealerships down with them just for being stubborn. I am sure it will affect a few expediters as well.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Do you mean to tell me that you actually believe that business is down at Ford (or any other company for that matter)simply because they direct a portion of their advertising to specific segment of society?? I wish
I could be that naive'...my life would be a lot less stressful.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
MSinger,

Please don’t take this personal but you have no clue of what you are talking about.

First I don’t believe in the Gay life style or it is inbred in people, but I do have respect for a number of people who choose that life style and by no means condemn them for being gay.

With that said, Ford has serious problems and it is not because of any ridiculous boycott that they are having poor sales. They are having problems because they have bad management and can’t see beyond the edge of the table (as one ford employee said to me). I as many others have some inside info about the goings on at Ford and got to say I would like to buy a ford product if they decide to make it affordable and stop talking me out of what I want to buy.

Just for information purposes, here is a link for a document that lists (not completely I might add) of companies that support, sort of support and don’t support the life style

http://anon.newmediamill.speedera.net/anon.newmediamill/hrc_buyersguide.pdf

Remember that I said I don’t believe in the life style but have to add that I also don’t believe in the Goth life style (my neighbors and their freinds used that excuse to abuse their kids, deal drugs and kill their animals) or some of the new age devil worshiping religions but I have no choice to deal with it until the masses change their attitude of tolerence

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Well, I guess I have been put in my place. Sorry for not falling into the politically-correct anything goes crowd. Just makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy don't it??
I would say that another good example of their poor management skills would be their continued support of this controversial subject despite pleas from dealers and potential customers who are now former customers.
But obviously I am too ignorant to understand anything.
I will retreat back to my cave. Have a great night.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, regardless of anyone's view on the Ford sponsorship of homosexual events and the AFA boycott, Ford is truly having a problem right now. I doubt that it is ONLY because of the boycott, but when you're already on a downside, that letter from the dealers sure shows that it is definitely not helping.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
MSinger: I would have more respect for your opinions if you didn't get defensive and sarcastic when questioned. The rules of civil debate require that you be prepared to defend your assertions if and when they are challenged.
I am hardly politically correct, and I'm definitely not "anything goes", but it seems to me that the people doing the shoving of their opinion down others' throats are the conservatives who object to a company that sells a product advertising to people who buy the product. According to that logic, if I buy Maybelline makeup, then I am supporting the shallow, materialistic values of the magazines in which Maybelline places advertising. But since I don't read those magazines, I believe I'm buying the product that fills my needs, not promoting a lifestyle I find immoral.
You are entitled to your beliefs, but expecting everyone else to agree, or be punished in some fashion, is not how America works.

G

Ford had better something to get there stock up. I love the mustang but for that price and the cost of fuel, it's not that great.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well listening to some of the analysis this morning, they have a glut of trucks, SUVs and upper end cars - all get poor mileage. they have a big problem with the F series truck and the 'investment' into the truck line that actually carrys the Ford name (I mean branding and Sales). It was pointed out that sales are so off with the Urban cowboys (that is their term) and the wantabe construction worker types becuase the $3/gal fuel that both Ford and GM will have a really difficult time shifting production to a more consumer friendy vehicle quick enough to recover. Seeing some of the figures for Ford inventory and the margin they are working with, I still contend that they need to recover the investment made in the inventory by flushing what they have in their distribution lots at cost and move ahead with more flexible manufacturing by investing the money they had in inventory to retool the plants so they can stay compeititve.

I wanted to buy a hybrid last year. I get a really good discount - won't say how much but enough that I could afford it. I was told last year it is a waste of money by every dealer. this year I was told I was not going to be sold a hybrid by any detroit area dealer because they will not make a dime off of the sale (talk about collusion) - so I told Ford why I won't buy their product and got a rather odd answer from them saying that they can't control the dealer. So I point to the basics, no dealer control equates to a failure in the business in the long run.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not sure I got this straight: the Ford dealers have the product (hybrid vehicles) that you want to buy, but they won't sell them, because they won't make a profit?
If that's how they do business, it's a wonder they've lasted this long! The American auto manufacturers have been incredibly short sighted for a long time, and I'd like to think they could catch up now, because people need the jobs, but I don't think they will.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
What a relief! I am entitled to my own opinion........as long as I keep it to myself. That is profound!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Msinger, I didn't mean to say anything personal and said not to take it personal. I welcome opinions and opposing views - it helps everyone grow.

Cherri,
Yes this is what happened. The issue here in Detroit is somewhat like a bad dream NIGHTMARE. Many dealers are open late on two days and most sales people were carpet salesmen (and saleswomen) before they started selling cars. I find that many sales people have little knowledge about the product they sell, like the hybrid or diesels. I have not liked to buy cars here and I was told once at a toledo dealer that they would not sell to me because I live in Detroit and need to buy from a Detroit dealer only.