Moderator Conflicts of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is in response to a thread in the FedEx Custom Critical carrier forum. The item discussed applies to all Open Forum members, so I am replying here to open the discussion to all. (Only members affiliated with FedEx Custom Critical can post in that carrier forum.)

Regarding the post in question, and its deletion, I don't know who did what and when. Therefore, this is not not a criticism or defense about how the post came to be, what it contained, and how it came to be deleted. Regardless of what did or did not happen in that specific case, the thread raises a broader issue about which I wish to comment and make a recommendation.

I feel strongly that no employee of any carrier should have the power to delete, edit or otherwise manipulate any post put up by any Open Forum member. Vesting such power in a carrier employee opens the door to the abuse of said power because the employee's own best interests are clearly aligned with his or her company.

If the Open Forum is to be truly open, members must be able to post without fear of carrier operatives stepping in to directly censor what is said.

If a carrier has concerns about something that is posted, a complaint can be made by a carrier representative to the moderators or forum administrator. The complaint can then be dealt with under the Open Forum code of conduct as other complaints presently are.

This is a different issue than moderators deleting posts under the code of conduct. Self-employed, independent-contractor moderators can be expected to act with the health and vitality of the Open Forum first in mind. This is true even of those who are affiliated with a particular carrier and maintain a favorable bias toward it. The affiliation and bias may exist, but the health and vitality of the Open Forum comes first when code of conduct violations are alleged and posts are considered for deletion or modification.

A moderator who is a a carrier employee is different. He or she is clearly captive to his or her employer and cannot be expected to consider the health and vitality of the open forum ahead of all else. It would be very much in that moderator's self interest to act on member posts with his or her employer's best interests first in mind. While such a bias is perfectly understandable and may even seem reasonable from that moderator's point of view, it is not something that promotes the ongoing health and vitality of the Open Forum.

I urge the Open Forum powers that be to consider these points and change the moderator eligibility qualifications, such that no carrier employee may serve as a moderator or be otherwise vested with the power to manipulate Open Forum posts, other than his or her own.

I am not aware of any vendors that are moderators, but the same should apply to vendors. An exception can be made in Ask the Recuriter forum, where recruiters are obviously beholden to the carriers they represent, but recruiter-moderator power to manipulate member posts should be limited to that forum only.

Last edited:

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I Have been reading this Mess and from what I can get from it all is that DieselDiva had a Thread Cancelled out by a Moderator who works for the Same company as she does! Now, Wouldn't it be a Better way of Avoiding any Type of Interest conflicts if the Administrator would or Could make it that IF, a Moderator who works for Any Company Feels that any thread by Another Employee of Same Company Needs to be Deleted then that Moderator should send a Full Report to the Administrator stating as to Why He/She Feels that the Thread should be Deleted! And IF You are a Moderator then it should be a Rule that you Can't Delete or Suspend any Employee of the Same Company From Posting, But Put it into the Hands of the Administrator to Investigate and let Him/Her Decide! Sounds Like a Good Plan To Me Anyway! :D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
terryandrene
user_offline.gif

Moderator Emeritus

• Main Entry: 1emer·i·tus
  • Pronunciation: \i-ˈmer-ə-təs\
  • Function: noun
  • Inflected Form(s): plural emer·i·ti \-ə-ˌtī, -ˌtē\
  • Date: 1750
: one retired from professional life but permitted to retain as an honorary title the rank of the last office held

ATeam

Retired Expediter
terryandrene
user_offline.gif

Moderator Emeritus

: one retired from professional life but permitted to retain as an honorary title the rank of the last office held

When a company or organization president ends his or her term, and thereby becomes president emeritus, the powers and responsibilities of the office are not retained. The emeritus title is given as a sign of gratitude and respect, but the job is over and the powers are vested in the successor.

At least that is the way it is with every emeritus title I have ever seen. If EO wants to do it differently, conflict of interest issues may rise, depending on the future actions of the honoree in question.

Another example can be found in the military. A retired general is properly addressed as General, but he or she no longer has the power or authority to order the troops around.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
This thread doesn't seem to be something someone would normally be put up to debate; but rather, something that would be sent to the powers that be.

I urge the Open Forum powers that be to consider these points and change the moderator eligibility qualifications, such that no carrier employee may serve as a moderator or be otherwise vested with the power to manipulate Open Forum posts, other than his or her own.

By putting it out in the open, you make it look like you have an ulterior motive.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
This thread doesn't seem to be something someone would normally be put up to debate; but rather, something that would be sent to the powers that be.

By putting it out in the open, you make it look like you have an ulterior motive.

No doubt about it,there are ulterior motives involved,but it's not Phil that has them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I have a motive, absolutely, but there is nothing ulterior about it. As clearly stated in the post, my motive is to open the issue to member discussion and make a recommendation.

Please don't make this about my motives. As a moderator, I would hope you would consider my recommended rules change, not because of why I may or may not have made it, but because of the positive difference it would make in the health and vitality of the Open Forum. This is not about my motives. It is about all members. Will the proposed rules change be good for them or not?

Kindly note that I have offered suggestions about how the Open Forum should be run on many occasions and have proposed rules changes before. This is no different. As an active participant and non-moderator member of the Open Forum, I have an ongoing interest in the forum's health and vitality. My most recent proposal is no different than any others. It is about the health and vitality of the forum.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The list of posters who would be banned for one reason or another could get very lengthy. If we ban company people, vendors, Expedite Now editors, Tool Box contributors, competing expedite forums contributors, members that belong to other trucking company groups and ..... Where does the line get drawn?

The post would have had to have been pulled no matter what because of a misunderstanding is what I have been told. If I had pulled the post or if Leo had pulled the post there still would have been people up in arms for other reasons.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The list of posters who would be banned for one reason or another could get very lengthy. If we ban company people, vendors, Expedite Now editors, Tool Box contributors, competing expedite forums contributors, members that belong to other trucking company groups and ..... Where does the line get drawn?

The post would have had to have been pulled no matter what because of a misunderstanding is what I have been told. If I had pulled the post or if Leo had pulled the post there still would have been people up in arms for other reasons.

We are not talking banning here Linda....we are talking inappropriate use of power....

You are right on your 2nd paragraph..pulling a post is like pulling teeth...*LOL *

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
terryandrene
user_offline.gif

Moderator Emeritus

Lets vote and bring back TERRY!!!!!! He had always taken the neutral on specific items. posting both good and bad points...

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

Who said anything about banning anyone? The subject is moderators who have a conflict of interest removing posts that pertain to the company that they work for. None of the people you've mentioned above are moderators.Your first paragraph makes absolutely no sense at all.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This is too much. :)

For once I wish Phil would read this - THANK YOU for this -
The affiliation and bias may exist, but the health and vitality of the Open Forum comes first when code of conduct violations are alleged and posts are considered for deletion or modification.
And for what you said in the FedEx forum - thank you!

No doubt there is a bias, no doubt there is a affiliation and no doubt that FedEx has practice this before in other forums.

Linda, I can't make this clear enough, like OVM said there is no line to be drawn, an employee has no business being here as moderator, Terry represents FedEx, not an contractor and as such has no business deleting posts regardless if there was a breach of any confidentiality or not, difference of opinion or any other reason. This is actual abuse as OVM mentioned and when it happens, it should be stopped in its tracks.

As Phil mentioned in the other thread;

All Open Forum members are responsible for their posts. All operate under the Code of Conduct, the laws of the land that protect people from defamation and the revealing personal information to the public, and any contractual restrictions or obligations that members have entered into. Moderators should not get involved in interpreting and enforcing contracts that are entered into by others. Doing so opens a can of worms and potentially increases their liability risks.

But then it begs a bigger question, is there going to be any retaliation involved?

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Under my proposed rules change, the line gets drawn nowhere near the level or as vaguely as your words suggest. In this case, the line is clearly drawn at carrier employees, such that no carrier employee may be vested with the power to manipulate forum member posts. Since only moderators have the power to manipulate posts other than their own, the simply-stated rule would be:

No person may be an Open Forum moderator who is an employee of a motor carrier.

If you wish, I can provide definitions for "moderator," "employee" and "motor carrier."

This rule can be easily and clearly enforced since only a small number of people are now or may become moderators and one's employment status can be easily determined.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

That may well be, but the other reasons you mention are not the reason that is being discussed. This is not about whether a particular post should or should not have been pulled. It is about the conflict of interest that exists when a moderator is also a carrier employee, and the effects that can have.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
WELL THEN I GUESS CHARLES D WILL HAVE TO STEP DOWN. HE IS A MOTOR CARRIER, EMPLOYEE AND A MODERATOR:rolleyes:

I JUST WISH I KNEW WHAT WAS DELETED:D

Status
Not open for further replies.