Mobil 1 0W-40

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I found Mobile 1 0W-40 at Walmart today, in 5-quart jugs. First time I've seen it anywhere in quantity other than 1 quart bottles. The 5-quart jugs were priced at $24.97 each. That's five bucks a quart, considerably cheaper than the $9.47 at Autozone. I picked up 2 jugs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I found Mobile 1 0W-40 at Walmart today, in 5-quart jugs. First time I've seen it anywhere in quantity other than 1 quart bottles. The 5-quart jugs were priced at $24.97 each. That's five bucks a quart, considerably cheaper than the $9.47 at Autozone. I picked up 2 jugs.

Which Walmart?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The one in Murray, KY.

I had to come home to get front brake pads and rotors replaced. I went to Walmart for a couple of things and was near the automotive department and they had all these Mobil 1 jugs on an end-display. Thought I was seeing things at first, but they only had one jug of 0W-40 on the display (basically, one jug of each flavor). Checked where they keep the oil normally and sure enough, there it was. Five jugs of it. They also had a single quart bottle, which that particular Walmart has never stocked before. I don't recall what they price of it was, though. Was too excited to find it in jugs, I guess.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As recently as two months ago the Mobil 1 0W-40 wasn't available anywhere in the 5-quart jugs. I guess someone finally convinced Mobile that is was better for the environment to throw away two large jugs than it was to toss ten quart bottles. I sent them an e-mail like two years ago making that very argument, especially since they and other manufacturers have lots of oil available in those jugs, but not the 0W-40. Maybe they read my e-mail. :D

guido4475

Not a Member
It is amazing the price difference on oil between Wal-Mart and Autozone. Mobil One 5w20 is $13.00 cheaper at Wal-Mart than at Autozone, same 5 qt jug. I can't recall where, what Wal-Mart, but I have seen it a few times at Wal-Marts, the 0w-40. I was never used to seeing it, and that is why it caught my eye.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Was just in a Walmart where the already cheap Mobil 1 0W-40 five-quart jugs were on sale, "Price Rollback" from $24.97 to $22.47. That's $4.49 a quart. They have some quarts, as well, but they're $6.97 each.

I bought three jugs, that's all they had left.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was just in a Walmart where the already cheap Mobil 1 0W-40 five-quart jugs were on sale, "Price Rollback" from $24.97 to $22.47. That's $4.49 a quart. They have some quarts, as well, but they're $6.97 each.

1 and 1/2 oil changes...LOL

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Advanced auto...always runs the oil change special...usually around $35 for full synthetic and filter...I always buy as many as they will let me ...
Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is a tip I got from a a friend who is a GM for Walmart. Walmart Motor Oil is Mobil just repackaged. Carquest and I think NAPA is Valvoline. I know Costal, Shell and Castroll makes allot of knockoff brands as well.
Ive used Walmart Dino oil in the van and daily drivers have the same results as branded. I use a CI4lube in the International so I purchase that through a distributor. Besides I always use Lucass as well.

Bob Wolf.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Here is a tip I got from a a friend who is a GM for Walmart. Walmart Motor Oil is Mobil just repackaged. Carquest and I think NAPA is Valvoline. I know Costal, Shell and Castroll makes allot of knockoff brands as well.
Ive used Walmart Dino oil in the van and daily drivers have the same results as branded. I use a CI4lube in the International so I purchase that through a distributor. Besides I always use Lucass as well.

Bob Wolf.

I had a NAPA guy try to convince me the same thing about the Valvoline, but which Valvoline is the NAPA generic? The MB numbers weren't on the bottle, and I won't gamble on it.

eb

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Companies can have oil packaged by others but what specs are they made too is the key. They can specify how they want it blended.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it's not like all Mobil 1 oils are the same. Or an even more common misconception, that all, say, 10W-30 oils are created equal. People think 10W-30 is 10W-30 is 10W-30, but it's not.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, it's not like all Mobil 1 oils are the same. Or an even more common misconception, that all, say, 10W-30 oils are created equal. People think 10W-30 is 10W-30 is 10W-30, but it's not.

Especially when it has to go into a Sprinter. --eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Especially when it has to go into a Sprinter. --eb
Don't want to use Lucas in a Sprinter, either.

People sometimes don't believe me when I tell them everything they know about engines and maintenance can be tossed out the window when it comes to a Sprinter. You have to learn all the rules again from scratch. The only rules that apply are Mercedes Rules.