Mobil 1 0W-40

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Even though 0W-40 is the recommended, I was told by a Mercedes tech in Chicago that I might want to run 5W-40 in a higher mileage Sprinter. Anyone see a problem with that? That's what I've been doing for about 200,000 miles with good results.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even though 0W-40 is the recommended, I was told by a Mercedes tech in Chicago that I might want to run 5W-40 in a higher mileage Sprinter. Anyone see a problem with that? That's what I've been doing for about 200,000 miles with good results.

What do you suppose the bad results might be? Would you recognize them if they were there? Is three percent additional wear likely to be noticed? I dunno. ;)

In the same way that not all 10W-30 oils are not the same, neither are all 5W-40s the same. As long as the 5W-40 you're using is on The List, there should be no problem.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
My Valvoline is the 5W-40. Don't know if it makes a difference related to the miles on the van. I've used it the last 300,000 miles. You just need to make sure it has the approved MB numbers.

eb

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't want to use Lucas in a Sprinter, either.

People sometimes don't believe me when I tell them everything they know about engines and maintenance can be tossed out the window when it comes to a Sprinter. You have to learn all the rules again from scratch. The only rules that apply are Mercedes Rules.

Dont own or maintain a sprinter but I know MB has always had verry tight specs for all thier vehicles. Im sure the newer vehicles like the caravan running MB engines and transmissions will be strict as well if theyre not already.

Bob Wolf

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Im thinking of going with Amsoil oil when my warranty runs out. Any thoughts

As long as you can meet MB standards for your model, it shouldn't be a problem.

update: Just ran across a discussion elsewhere about Amsoil and the MB spec. Apparently there are a couple Amsoil oils that carry the MB spec, but Amsoil will not have the oil tested for MB to put it on their list. So, do you feel lucky?

eb

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
As long as you can meet MB standards for your model, it shouldn't be a problem.

update: Just ran across a discussion elsewhere about Amsoil and the MB spec. Apparently there are a couple Amsoil oils that carry the MB spec, but Amsoil will not have the oil tested for MB to put it on their list. So, do you feel lucky?

eb

Hey EB, enjoy reading what you have to say about sprinters. Ive been told that Amsoil is a great or the best oil for a engine cause its like a deturgent, I know I spell that wrong,lol. It keeps your engine very clean and can go longer on oil changes cause it doesnt break down as quick as others do. I dont know if I feel lucky, lol. Mine is a 2012 MB Sprinter. Only 20,000 miles on it, so ive got awhile. What do you think?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Thanks. That discussion about the Amsoil also had some people saying they never had problems with it, and others said it caused them problems. It just seems to me that there are so many choices that have the spec numbers and are on the list that I'd go with the approved list. The link goes to what I would use in my van. I think you would use the 229.51 too.

MB 229.51 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils (Specification 229.51) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

For me I really wasn't looking for the "best" oil. I wanted something on the list that wasn't expensive and that was easy to find. I ended up with the Valvoline, because NAPA had it on sale regularly and always had it at their distribution centers. When it is on sale I stock up 6-10 cases at a time. I've done this for the last 350,000 miles. Any of my egr problems were before this.

eb

Last edited:

seekerman

Expert Expediter
What do you suppose the bad results might be? Would you recognize them if they were there? Is three percent additional wear likely to be noticed? I dunno. ;)

In the same way that not all 10W-30 oils are not the same, neither are all 5W-40s the same. As long as the 5W-40 you're using is on The List, there should be no problem.

Not sure what you mean by three percent additional wear, Turtle. What are you referring to? Incidentally, I'm using the Mobil 1 5W-40.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not sure what you mean by three percent additional wear, Turtle. What are you referring to? Incidentally, I'm using the Mobil 1 5W-40.

I'm referring to the wear of the metal parts in all off the metal-to-metal contact points within the engine. That's the purpose of the oil, to reduce the friction of the metal parts, and thus reduce the wear. So, what would bad results be?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey EB, enjoy reading what you have to say about sprinters. Ive been told that Amsoil is a great or the best oil for a engine cause its like a deturgent, I know I spell that wrong,lol. It keeps your engine very clean and can go longer on oil changes cause it doesnt break down as quick as others do. I dont know if I feel lucky, lol. Mine is a 2012 MB Sprinter. Only 20,000 miles on it, so ive got awhile. What do you think?

One very important thing to keep in mind about oil in your sprinter. Its not just about the engine, it affects your egr valve your cat converter and your dpf filter. Personaly if they won't let Mercedes test it ill steer clear.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.