Mixing Battery Types

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
That sounds like it'll work just fine. I'm not familiar with that particular brand and model. I'm more familiar with Sure Power (sometimes branded as Cole Hersee) or Hellroaring, but they're all more or less about the same.

OK, that kit may or may not arrive in time. Local parts store states 45.00 for the "alternator output up to 95 amps" doohicky. The one in link provided states output up to 140 amps? What's the skinny here Turtle?

Found a very reputable entity near home who will install this kit (or version thereof) if I furnish the parts. I may be able to put that kit together at the local Napa store.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, that kit may or may not arrive in time. Local parts store states 45.00 for the "alternator output up to 95 amps" doohicky. The one in link provided states output up to 140 amps? What's the skinny here Turtle?
Alternators are all capable of putting out far more amps than they are rated. A 90 amp alternator can put out 150-200 amps. Isolators are rated for the alternators, so they can handle more amps than their rating, as well. The isolator amp rating should always be the same, or greater than the alternator's rating.

So, the 95 amp doohicky will work great on an alternator that's 95 amps or smaller, but will probably fry if used with a 150 amp alternator.

I shouldn't say "will probably," rather, I should say "could" or is "somewhat likely." The reason is, a 150 amp alternator charging the cranking battery, and running the vehicle systems, won't have enough excess amps to run all 150 amps through the isolator. More than likely it'll run 20-30 amps, 50 at most for short periods, though the isolator. So you could probably get by with a 95 amp dookicky with a 150 amp alternator.

I have a 150 amp alternator and a 200 amp doohicky.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
So you could probably get by with a 95 amp dookicky with a 150 amp alternator.

I have a 150 amp alternator and a 200 amp doohicky.

A virtual plethora of information for the layman. Thanks Turtle....I may be guided right into saving some bucks, and those bucks can be placed on other high priority items. I'll check on the alternator, but if memory serves my prior investigation......it's around 140 amp output on the standard 4.8 GMC.

Good motor BTW. Was happy with it on the way home from Staten, and it brought in around 15-16 MPG. Not the power plant of the 5.4 Ford, but adequate in comparison and better geared. She runs great.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A virtual plethora of information for the layman. Thanks Turtle....I may be guided right into saving some bucks, and those bucks can be placed on other high priority items. I'll check on the alternator, but if memory serves my prior investigation......it's around 140 amp output on the standard 4.8 GMC.

Good motor BTW. Was happy with it on the way home from Staten, and it brought in around 15-16 MPG. Not the power plant of the 5.4 Ford, but adequate in comparison and better geared. She runs great.
I didn't know they let you say "plethora" on EO.
thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-024-gif.jpg

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I didn't know they let you say "plethora" on EO.
thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-024-gif.jpg

LOL. Took the liberty, since I noticed roasting hotdogs over a couple sticks of wood is allowed. You do realize those will not get done...minus flame? :D

But gets to where they become heavy, that dog will eat em, as is. :p

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll check on the alternator, but if memory serves my prior investigation......it's around 140 amp output on the standard 4.8 GMC.

It could be a 105 amp alternator. My 2004 Chevy 6.0 came standard with a 105 amp alternator and 145 amp upgrade.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
It could be a 105 amp alternator. My 2004 Chevy 6.0 came standard with a 105 amp alternator and 145 amp upgrade.

Confirmed today Moot. The stock alternator is the 105 amp. Picked up this today....

Sure Power 95 Amp Multi-Battery Isolator - (Part#: 9523A)

It seemed a little more stout than the earlier mentioned one here.....

Dual Battery Isolation Kit with 140A Smart Battery Isolator : Amazon.com : Automotive

Best to mount these on firewall, or anywhere under the hood? The heavier duty one I chose seems to have venting fins? Indicating these things get hot?

Do you recommend (chime in Turtle) the 6 or 4 gauge wiring? I think battery wiring is 4? How about the included connections found with purchase of Inverter? Packaged wiring good enough from low drain batt, out to Inverter?

They wanted almost 3.00 per foot on the wiring today.....I think it can be had for less?

Last edited: