Mixing Battery Types

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow.....I just like tidy!;)

Then don't look at the pictures of my mess. The batteries are in black plastic battery boxes with tops and are located under my bunk.

Attachments

• Batteries 1 (478x640).jpg
    Batteries 1 (478x640).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Batteries 2 (478x640).jpg
    Batteries 2 (478x640).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 43

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got switches for lights, fan, Fantastic Vent cd/radio and power outlets. Behind the switches is a nest of wires, fuse blocks and Hellroaring isolator. Every year I think about rewiring this mess but figure one more winter and I'll buy a new van and do it right. This one more winter thing has been going on for several years though!

Attachments

• Switches (478x640).jpg
    Switches (478x640).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Isolator (478x640) (478x640).jpg
    Isolator (478x640) (478x640).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 44

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
4068_zps1bebc4df.jpg

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Then don't look at the pictures of my mess. The batteries are in black plastic battery boxes with tops and are located under my bunk.

Awesome brother! Thanks for posting those, seriously.

Now who's got the remote Underdash Turtle Cam going so we can see apoplexy firsthand :grin:

Moot, I'm dead serious about helping do a rewire during some slow period or holiday weekend. I'm more than willing to lend a hand and would learn a lot. Offered the same to others for interior cab't work etc. I'm all set up, and quite knowledgeable about, woodworking and such, but my wiring skills need building.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, I'm dead serious about helping do a rewire during some slow period or holiday weekend. I'm more than willing to lend a hand and would learn a lot.
I know just enough about a lot of things to make me dangerous, including expediting. Especially expediting!

To do this right I'm looking at a gut job. I think I'll wait till I get a new van. If I can just get one more winter out of this one.

I'd be glad to help you mess up your van. If you are ever near my neighborhood and I'm home stop by. I've got 8' tall doors on my garage.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I've got switches for lights, fan, Fantastic Vent cd/radio and power outlets. Behind the switches is a nest of wires, fuse blocks and Hellroaring isolator. Every year I think about rewiring this mess but figure one more winter and I'll buy a new van and do it right. This one more winter thing has been going on for several years though!

I especially like the switch board. It seems Flux Capacitor worthy...

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I know just enough about a lot of things to make me dangerous, including expediting. Especially expediting!

To do this right I'm looking at a gut job. I think I'll wait till I get a new van. If I can just get one more winter out of this one.

I'd be glad to help you mess up your van. If you are ever near my neighborhood and I'm home stop by. I've got 8' tall doors on my garage.

New, old, your van, my van, your place or mine; any of the above works for me. I just enjoy the camaraderie and solving of problems, especially if I learn something in the process.

I've got a 14' door on my shop, though would have to clear some stuff inside to accommodate an extended body CV. I'm hoping to double the floor space if i can swing it. Have plenty tools there too.

I'm near La Crosse MN tonight, though hoping to catch one in the morning. It'll happen when it's supposed to; getting together to make a mess of things.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Awesome brother! Thanks for posting those, seriously.

Now who's got the remote Underdash Turtle Cam going so we can see apoplexy firsthand :grin:

Moot, I'm dead serious about helping do a rewire during some slow period or holiday weekend. I'm more than willing to lend a hand and would learn a lot. Offered the same to others for interior cab't work etc. I'm all set up, and quite knowledgeable about, woodworking and such, but my wiring skills need building.

He isn't kidding he is a great helper with equally great ideas!

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
He isn't kidding he is a great helper with equally great ideas!

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Thanks, Mr Xig, I had a great time getting to know you a bit and helping make things happen. It's the sort of thing that makes the time we spend out here worthwhile, in my opinion. Looking forward to more...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm near La Crosse MN tonight, though hoping to catch one in the morning.

If you were in La Crosse, you weren't in Minnesota. If you were in La Crescent, you weren't in Wisconsin. If you were in both, you're all wet. A river separates the two cities and states.:D

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
If you were in La Crosse, you weren't in Minnesota. If you were in La Crescent, you weren't in Wisconsin. If you were in both, you're all wet. A river separates the two cities and states.:D

Ha! Oops.

I'm not too bright sometimes. I was definitely all wet and will have to double check locations before I state them so definitively.

I'd spent the whole day in MN, having delivered in Jackson (no, not Jackson MI, or MS, OH, or TN) in the wee hours, after which I headed up to Mountain Lake MN (not Mountain Lake WI, GA, CO, VA, or AL) to pick up a load that turned into a dry run, then turned back into a run again five hrs later.

It was going to the sand mine in Blair WI (not Blair NE or Blair OK), after which I scooted down to La Crosse WI (not La Crosse VA, KS, or IN, and definitely not in MN) for the night, and typed my mis-located message. I was in WI, yep, most definitely.

Caught a run the next morning just up the road in Ladysmith (WI, not VA, BC, or South Africa) that took me around the north end of Lake MI (it's in WI, MI & IL) and down towards home.

Which is not in MN, either.

Offer still stands. If I can manage to get my state right when telling you where I am :p

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Jackson, MN? Sounds like an Agco delivery.

Yep - been running a lot of agricultural and farm implement loads, which is fine with me. I like running the prairie and river highways of farm country.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Will need to get second battery inside the van. Sprinter I used to run had the 2nd battery under drivers seat.....with the two cables running out to inverter.

I'm basically running a laptop and couple little gadgets off inverters. No fridge, no lights, etc etc. May add a vent later?

Assuming standard alternator in GMC Savanna, can one just get the other battery, place in case/enclosure on the pass side...then wire the inverter?

A side.....could one not take this same setup....and run the slow charger off the said inverter, while charging a marine batt while driving down the road?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm basically running a laptop and couple little gadgets off inverters. No fridge, no lights, etc etc. May add a vent later?
So, you're using your cranking battery as if it were a deep cycle battery.

Assuming standard alternator in GMC Savanna, can one just get the other battery, place in case/enclosure on the pass side...then wire the inverter?
Well, you'll have to wire that other battery up to the alternator to get it charged. You do that with a battery isolator. That way, when the key is OFF and the engine isn't running, the aux battery is totally isolated from the cranking battery to prevent you from killing the cranking battery. When the key is ON and the engine is running, the alternator will charge the aux battery.

A side.....could one not take this same setup....and run the slow charger off the said inverter, while charging a marine batt while driving down the road?
No. Stop using your cranking battery as if it were a deep cycle battery. Not all batteries are created equal. Cranking (or starting) batteries are called that because that's what they are designed for - lots of amps in one whack to start the battery, and then used for vehicle accessories while the engine is running. Auxiliary batteries are deep cycle and are designed for constant low amp draws of laptop chargers and vent fans.

Start here: Expedite Now Trucking Magazine - How to Kill Your Batteries

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
So, you're using your cranking battery as if it were a deep cycle battery.

No. There is only one battery under the hood right now. Trying to gather info on how to add the second one....for inside. Vans still in NY, not even brought it home yet.

Well, you'll have to wire that other battery up to the alternator to get it charged. You do that with a battery isolator. That way, when the key is OFF and the engine isn't running, the aux battery is totally isolated from the cranking battery to prevent you from killing the cranking battery. When the key is ON and the engine is running, the alternator will charge the aux battery.

Had this done over at Espar on the Terra.

No. Stop using your cranking battery as if it were a deep cycle battery. Not all batteries are created equal. Cranking (or starting) batteries are called that because that's what they are designed for - lots of amps in one whack to start the battery, and then used for vehicle accessories while the engine is running. Auxiliary batteries are deep cycle and are designed for constant low amp draws of laptop chargers and vent fans.

All of this is known. Sounds like what your saying is....the Sprinter I ran that had the inside battery (in which ran the inverter) was probably set up with isolator. Got it. Thanks

Start here: Expedite Now Trucking Magazine - How to Kill Your Batteries[/QUOTE]

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No. There is only one battery under the hood right now. Trying to gather info on how to add the second one....for inside. Vans still in NY, not even brought it home yet.
Now I'm confused. You said you are running a laptop and a few gadgets off an inverter. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the inverter is plugged into the 12-volt plug on the dash, or by some other connection to the cranking battery.

All of this is known. Sounds like what your saying is....the Sprinter I ran that had the inside battery (in which ran the inverter) was probably set up with isolator. Got it. Thanks
Using an isolator or a separator is the only way to use a second battery that is charged by a single alternator. Well, you could just directly connect the aux battery to the cranking battery without an isolator of fusing, but that would be crazy.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle;664575]Now I'm confused. You said you are running a laptop and a few gadgets off an inverter. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the inverter is plugged into the 12-volt plug on the dash, or by some other connection to the cranking battery.

Didn't make that clear, I'm still in the TerraMax and it came with the 2000 Inverter already set up. I drilled a small hole in the base of the wall, ran the proper gauge wire through, and then affixed the plug. I then ran a power strip off that extension from inverter, which I plug my current meager demands into.

Using an isolator or a separator is the only way to use a second battery that is charged by a single alternator. Well, you could just directly connect the aux battery to the cranking battery without an isolator of fusing, but that would be crazy.

OK, sounds like I need to have someone run off the alternator, to the inside battery.....which should be a deep cycle. (once I get the GMC in hand) There goes DIY, cause this ole boy knows a nuthin bout that....:p

I follow Clint's advice...."one must know their limitations"

Last edited: