Millhouse logistics

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reactions: Opel2010

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anything is better then working for the bottom of the board carrier jump ship while you can.

Exactly, and they don't offer cargo insurance in house which is part of expenses and fees.

I make pretty good money with them. I have no complaints.

They don't offer cargo insurance anymore, you're right. Doesn't mean it makes them a bad carrier or whatever :censoredsign: you're spewing. You still haven't answered moots questions, get on it if you want to be taken seriously.

Sir no need to interrogate me or justify my credentials in this industry. You seem more of a newbie here regardless I've paid my dues and I'm constantly learning. The carrier you're referring to doesn't offer insurance in house package therefore drivers would have to pay over $500 a month just for insurance for a cargo van. They have no incentives to get people on that want the freedom I need in this industry, I do enjoy expediting but I'm no slave to these highways. I run strategically and I respect the carriers that understand that.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so do they pay % and at what % or flat rate?

Flat rate.

In 16 years i have never paid that much for signing on with a carrier !!!!!!!!!!

Call Bolt Express and ask about their fees for signing on with a sprinter van.

I'm in a van and never seen it either.

Call Bolt Express and ask about their fees for signing on with a sprinter van.

Sign on fees are irrelevant, the fees I'm concerned about is the weekly settlement fees. Bolt is one of the lowest in the industry, but unfortunately they have adapted a panther mentality which drops drivers to bottom of board when you refuse a load. I was informed by a recruiter recently at Bolt.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your carrier, if you like it you can keep it. Lol, I heard this phrase somewhere before.

For me, I weighted the pros and cons. Sometimes paying more fees/insurances may give better profits in the long run.

I just look for other ways to offset the costs.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sign on fees are irrelevant, the fees I'm concerned about is the weekly settlement fees. Bolt is one of the lowest in the industry, but unfortunately they have adapted a panther mentality which drops drivers to bottom of board when you refuse a load. I was informed by a recruiter recently at Bolt.

So what are those fees and how much are the fees at millhouse?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fees are having to pay your own cargo/insurance out of pocket which typically is deducted from most carriers with a "in house" all inclusive package offered referred to as weekly deductions or "fees".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We all pay one way or the other...carriers either have us pay or its part of a deduction of the overall rates...the common 70% most get...
What would it be if the IC paid the Insurance?.....in my case its 80%...That extra 10% say you make $60,000 gross equals $6,000...now my insurance is less then $2,000....so one could say I would be OVER paying that carrier by a whopping $4,000...that is now in MY pocket and not theirs....

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got to say an aplication fee sounds pretty wacky, never heard of any carrier charging for that?

Yeah, but most carriers charge $200 for drug tests, and other fees associated with signing up.

I remember there being quite a few expenses when I originally signed on with the Fed back in 09. Drug testing, decals, Qualcomm install etc. As a newb I just paid it.....and realized later on the mark up and profit applied by FedEx. Totaled up with the 20 or so of us in orientation that week...likely paid for all the orientation expenses and a tidy profit.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Got to say an aplication fee sounds pretty wacky, never heard of any carrier charging for that?

Yeah, but most carriers charge $200 for drug tests, and other fees associated with signing up.

I remember there being quite a few expenses when I originally signed on with the Fed back in 09. Drug testing, decals, Qualcomm install etc. As a newb I just paid it.....and realized later on the mark up and profit applied by FedEx. Totaled up with the 20 or so of us in orientation that week...likely paid for all the orientation expenses and a tidy profit.

Yeah. Been there, done that. They make it seem like it is free since they don't charge you upfront, but they keep charging you for a few months after you sign on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless you are a multi-carrier in which you would have to carry primary insurance, which is everything, including cargo. What cracks me up are those that pay the higher insurance premiums for primary insurance, only to haul cheap freight. Makes no sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app
you don't have to be a multi carrier to have to supply your insurance... i agree.....some are running at bargain basement prices...just so they can turn the wheels..

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1% off the weekly settlement for factoring fee?? Ouch! That's my piece of cheese ..

Perioodic thanks for the info ...

Reactions: Perioodic

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
. Bolt is one of the lowest in the industry, but unfortunately they have adapted a panther mentality which drops drivers to bottom of board when you refuse a load.
Panther hasn't done that in years. They do keep track of loads accepted and loads refused. If your acceptance rate drops below 70% you will sit until they need you.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for sign-on fees, I agree with Piper. Most carriers charge a sign-on fee. When I first started with Con-Way Now I paid for QC installation and decal application. Probably a drug test fee also. When I bought a new van they once again charged me for QC installation and decal application. I thought this was rather petty of them. I'm upgrading my equipment to better serve customers and they ding me with fees.

When I got sold to Panther, Con-Way paid me $1000 signing bonus and Panther paid me $25 to remove my decals and some schmuck in Indianapolis put the Panther decals on for free.

Reactions: Opel2010 and piper1