Miles

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
While talking to a team from a different carrier they mentioned there shift mileage limits and it made me wonder why there average miles ran per shift were a great deal different than ours, I know traffic, time of day and route will effect this number but I was curious to see what other teams numbers were. If you would please let me know what your averages are ....

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Average speed has a lot to do how many miles you get in a day. We are usually around 600 if we are on interstate on a long load without stops.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
600 to 625 is ours and going west it can go up, the team I was talking with said they average 450 to 500 and that was maximum for them but that sounds a bit low to me so I was curious, Ty

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ours will vary by trip. Where we are. How much of a hurry we are in, etc.
Coast to coast is usually long/hard/fast. Get there and then relax.

Once going to Vegas I said I think we can deliver a day early if we get with it.

I had a bad night and when we switched I told the wife to forget it : no chance.
We were on 70 in Colorado.

I woke up at 1400 in Vegas.
I said What'd you do ?

My wife grinned and said " 75 in a 75, 80 in an 80 !"

Thank You " Hoss" , you know who you are.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It varies greatly on where we are at. On long runs it is around 600. If we are in NYC I have spent hours going 20 miles.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I have never tracked our average miles per driving shift. The loads vary so much from load to load that average miles per shift is not a meaningful number.

That team you talked to, did they happen to say why they knew the number and what they did with the info?

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Diane and I have never tracked our average miles per driving shift. The loads vary so much from load to load that average miles per shift is not a meaningful number.

That team you talked to, did they happen to say why they knew the number and what they did with the info?

They ran paper logs like us, so up in the left hand corner they were recording their total miles. Sometimes we only record the day total not our individual miles but we have an average number. I guess if you're not running paper logs you're not filling the info in so you are not as aware.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter

The team I was talking with spoke as if they only ran around 800 miles a day or maxed out at 500 per shift, that just got me thinking so I thought I would ask what others run. On a long run recently we were able to go a bit over 1200 in 24hrs and that simply because we hit no traffic to speak of and green lit every weigh station, I was just curious as to what others average.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I guess you may be anal about it if you're a two household team.

When I ran team at Roadway we really didn't worry about it . We did what felt right. We trusted each other to be honest and keep it close. If I felt good and he was sleeping I might slip in an extra 50 miles to loghten his load.

I couldn't team with someone that said we have to switch here, although crappy, because if we don't I'll have 12 more miles than you. ( the truck money automatically got split 50/50.)

With triples, there is a clear differance between a nice place and an undesireable place.

Note to Pandora. The first comment was not in response to your post. We were typing at the same time. :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We are in the 450 to 550 range and we only drive 10 he shifts.We have a dog that we stop for and we don't drive the speed limit everywhere we go. 65 mph is the max. To many variables to really compare equally.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They ran paper logs like us, so up in the left hand corner they were recording their total miles. Sometimes we only record the day total not our individual miles but we have an average number. I guess if you're not running paper logs you're not filling the info in so you are not as aware.

We run paper logs too and are fully aware of how many miles each team member drives each day because we must calculate and write it in each day's box. I just don't understand why that number (average miles per team member) would be significant. Why would you pay attention to it?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just an observation. The husband wants to know if he is working harder than the wife. :cool:
Can't win an argument without the numbers. :D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I married a Baptist.

She told me God put her here to serve a husband.

She'll run 600 miles of a 700 mile rum and laugh about it.

I love her dearly. :) :)

Edit: s/b run, not rum. No liquor in this household .

Last edited:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Zorry no problem! I enjoy giving him a hard time too much! :)

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
We run paper logs too and are fully aware of how many miles each team member drives each day because we must calculate and write it in each day's box. I just don't understand why that number (average miles per team member) would be significant. Why would you pay attention to it?

What happens in a deliver by such and such time? Say in 12 hours and it's 610 miles if you know you're not capable of more than 500 miles every 11 hour shift you know you can't take the run. You have to know your limitations and capabilities.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I imagine most people have their 12 hr shift and just take whatever falls in their time period.

We mix it up; I try to take all NYC, and pick ups/ loading. I often will start the first 2 or 3 hrs, get the load loaded, then turn it over to her.