mileage short

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
curious to know why allmost 95% of my loads from tri-state are short on the miles i dont understand this someone help me plz i know if every driver is shorted on the mileage it would mean millions at the end of the year anyone else or just me

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
curious to know why allmost 95% of my loads from tri-state are short on the miles i dont understand this someone help me plz i know if every driver is shorted on the mileage it would mean millions at the end of the year anyone else or just me

How many miles ya talking about...most use zip to zip for routing which is usually always wrong

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
"Reputable" carriers use PCMiler to calculate rates.... not our GPS's.

PC Miler is a joke, toll and/or nonexistant roads are all on the table... lol just figure out what a run will cost you before accepting it.

fired at you from my Droideka

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can't get the routing via QC then ask for the routing. 99.9% the miles match zip to zip, then again, that could be up to 50 miles from address to address......

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yes, some carriers use different routing programs that amazingly pay you less miles than the practical route programs. The first two companies I was leased to seldom paid what the actual mileage was...not even close. 10% short was probably a good average. I heard all of the same excuses over and over again just like your hearing here. I moved to an honest carrier and magicly, the miles are accurate now. I seldom loose more than 5 maybe 10 miles and at times I can even run the load in LESS miles than I'm paid. We have one load from Oak Creek, WI to Springfirld, OH that actually pays 10% MORE miles than what it takes to drive it. Imagine that? You can bet your azz that your carrier is not getting paid on short miles...only you....IMHO.

When you decide to change carriers don't believe anything the carrier or their drivers tell you about mileage pay. The carrier has all the excuses and the drivers believe them. Talk to a couple of drivers and just ask them how accurate their miles seem to be. If they start with the excuses that your hearing now, their getting shorted and don't know any better.

Miles should be accurate. Miles can be accurate. Anybody who is not being paid accurate miles is being shorted miles.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Tri-State uses city to city miles only.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
when we were with tri-state they paid zip to zip but it was always the zip that was furthest point from p/u to closest to del. actual zips meant nothing. then they had the customers that they let dictate mileage to them.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ya, thats rite jeff3000. thats what they called it and it was furthest point to closest point.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PC Miler is a joke,
I guess that all depends on your sense of humor. I have PC*MILER 14 and 20 and find the practical routing very accurate. My carrier has different mileages, depending on the customer. I would estimate that 80% of the loads I haul are based on PC*MILER Practical routing and coincide with my Garmin within a few miles. Often times I can shave 10-20% off my paid miles by running secondary routes. This in a cargo van where weight and height restrictions are not an issue.

toll and/or nonexistant roads are all on the table... lol
Exactly! I am the clouds. I am embroidered...lol

just figure out what a run will cost you before accepting it.
First you need an realistic mileage to base your costs on. For me it is PC*MILER practical routing.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I write all my rate quotes using mapquest door to door. If i am driving the miles I get paid for them.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I guess that all depends on your sense of humor. I have PC*MILER 14 and 20 and find the practical routing very accurate. My carrier has different mileages, depending on the customer. I would estimate that 80% of the loads I haul are based on PC*MILER Practical routing and coincide with my Garmin within a few miles. Often times I can shave 10-20% off my paid miles by running secondary routes. This in a cargo van where weight and height restrictions are not an issue.

Exactly! I am the clouds. I am embroidered...lol

First you need an realistic mileage to base your costs on. For me it is PC*MILER practical routing.

I use PC Miler 21 because its what most of the brokers and customers I work for expect and use themselves. I can see instantly what THEY are basing their rates on, and it gives me a stronger bargaining position. For actual routing I use Google Earth with some custom plugins created especially for the purpose. I like being able to see live weather, air traffic and road traffic all superimposed onto my route. Live lightning strike maps are also pretty nifty. I can see all the ships coming into port and departing as well as knowing how long they have been moored so I don't have to waste time waiting in lines at the docks.

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I use PC Miler 21 because its what most of the brokers and customers I work for expect and use themselves. I can see instantly what THEY are basing their rates on, and it gives me a stronger bargaining position. For actual routing I use Google Earth with some custom plugins created especially for the purpose. I like being able to see live weather, air traffic and road traffic all superimposed onto my route. Live lightning strike maps are also pretty nifty. I can see all the ships coming into port and departing as well as knowing how long they have been moored so I don't have to waste time waiting in lines at the docks.

you get all of that info from google earth??

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
you get all of that info from google earth??

There is an enormous online community of people who dedicate a lot of their time to doing nothing but hacking the hell out of google earth. It is absolutely mind boggling when you start to see all the things of people have done with it

guido4475

Not a Member
I think there are some companies out there that pay the driver less miles than quoted in order to keep the price down to the customer.I know that at Load One and at All-State, my miles were either exact or less than the paid miles, rarely more.