Michigan man still on food stamps despite winning $2M

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
ASSOCIATED PRESS Filed Under
Local News
Michigan
A man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show has told a TV station that he still uses food stamps.

Leroy Fick of Bay County admitted he still swipes the electronic card at stores, nearly a year after winning a jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" He told WNEM-TV in Saginaw that more than half the prize went to taxes.

Fick says the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card, which is paid with tax dollars. He told WNEM: "If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."

The TV station says people have seen Fick driving a new Audi convertible. Messages seeking comment were left with his attorney and the state today.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
ASSOCIATED PRESS Filed Under
Local News
Michigan
A man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show has told a TV station that he still uses food stamps.

Leroy Fick of Bay County admitted he still swipes the electronic card at stores, nearly a year after winning a jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" He told WNEM-TV in Saginaw that more than half the prize went to taxes.

Fick says the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card, which is paid with tax dollars. He told WNEM: "If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."

The TV station says people have seen Fick driving a new Audi convertible. Messages seeking comment were left with his attorney and the state today.

Oh my word how ridiculous is that :mad:

He should be charged with .......... something :mad:

and the ppl that "told him " to keep using the stamps should be fired.

This guy obviously has no shame :mad:

(Obama supporter y'think Dennis LOL)

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Oh my word how ridiculous is that :mad:

He should be charged with .......... something :mad:

and the ppl that "told him " to keep using the stamps should be fired.

This guy obviously has no shame :mad:

(Obama supporter y'think Dennis LOL)

Don't get me wrong, I agree, what a waste of taxpayers money. Here is an article that goes into into the situation a bit more than the original. It doesn't excuse the fact the guy kept using the card, even if he was told he could. They are working on getting the "loophole" closed also.

link

Leroy%20Fick.JPG

Leroy Fick, A Michigan man who won $2 million from a state lottery, is reportedly still eligible to receive food stamps (MyFoxDetroit.com).

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Fire the Fed dept that didn't think of this & other similar windfall situations? :rolleyes:

This line really irks me though ....

"If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday"

:mad:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lol, this is what you get when "entitlement" handout programs are considered by TPTB to be "what made and makes our country great"....who was it that just said that a few weeks ago??? Oh yea....barry....:rolleyes:

Yeap, the guy is "entitled" to the handout from the Gov....:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It seems that it is a wash because he won, paid taxes and now is getting that money back. The problem I have isn't with his actions, we allowed our government to create a system that rewards this behavior while taxing the crap out of people who work. SO the problem to me isn't the gut, it is the people who keep voting these guys into office.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone ever think out of the box on this one? Gee whiz...negative, negative, negative...

How about he found the loophole and is making a statement?...it is something I might do..:cool:..just to show how stupid the government is...

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Anyone ever think out of the box on this one? Gee whiz...negative, negative, negative...

How about he found the loophole and is making a statement?...it is something I might do..:cool:..just to show how stupid the government is...

IMO I don't think so .......

If he was trying to make the G'ment look bad wouldn't he shout out "HEY, Look what I did and its Legal"

His line "If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it,"

says it all for me :mad:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO I don't think so .......

If he was trying to make the G'ment look bad wouldn't he shout out "HEY, Look what I did and its Legal"

His line "If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it,"

says it all for me :mad:

He has to say that to keep up the charade...

He did what he was required by law and reported the winnings...
I'll bet when the state told him he could keep on with the food stamps...he almost feel over in disbelief....
Like I said....It is something I would do...:p

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As the article points out, its because a lot of those programs are based on INCOME not assets. He can have a house, nice car, bank account... but no steady income.. and he qualifies.

Doesnt sound fair for him, but what about the guy who just got laid off. He has a house, cars, etc. Should he be required to sell them to feed his kids, or should he be allowed food stamps til he gets back to work?

Same thing in the eyes of the law. They would have specifically address lottery winnings in the guidelines.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Don't get me wrong, I agree, what a waste of taxpayers money. Here is an article that goes into into the situation a bit more than the original. It doesn't excuse the fact the guy kept using the card, even if he was told he could. They are working on getting the "loophole" closed also.

link

Leroy%20Fick.JPG

Leroy Fick, A Michigan man who won $2 million from a state lottery, is reportedly still eligible to receive food stamps (MyFoxDetroit.com).

That's funny.. He looks good .. I should try food stamps too .. can you get money too??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As the article points out, its because a lot of those programs are based on INCOME not assets. He can have a house, nice car, bank account... but no steady income.. and he qualifies.

Michigan used to have asset based assitance, which worked well until the 70's when auto workers got laid off and they screamed when they were told they had to sell their boats, their third car, their tools, etc. ... in order to qualify. Many of them could afford not to be on welfare but the UAW actually had a place to go to fast track it for Michigan.

Doesnt sound fair for him, but what about the guy who just got laid off. He has a house, cars, etc. Should he be required to sell them to feed his kids, or should he be allowed food stamps til he gets back to work?

Actually Dale, I do think it is fair that they would have to sell things to make ends meet before they ever are considered for food stamps. The recent BS with GM causes me to feel there should have been no food stamps or welfare for the many who got more than others when they were laid off. I mentioned one who is still getting unemployment, is now working at GM and he is still getting his education paid for by the taxes of our grand children.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Its funny... on some programs I would qualify.. lol... because they look at net... what I pay taxes on. Others look at gross... which looks pretty good some years lol. Some loan places look at gross... some at net. I can get credit on gross... on net (on paper) they laugh!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App