Mexico Imposes Tariffs on U.S. Food Products in Dispute Over Truck Access

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Mexico Imposes Tariffs on U.S. Food Products in Dispute Over Truck Access

By Laura Price and Jens Erik Gould -
Aug 18, 2010 4:18 AM ET
Mexico Imposes Tariffs on U.S. Food Products in Dispute Over Truck Access - Bloomberg

Mexico will impose import tariffs on some U.S. pork cuts, ketchup, cheeses, sweetcorn and some fruits because of the U.S. government’s failure to restore a program allowing Mexican trucks to operate north of the border, the nation’s official gazette said.

The list includes a tariff of 5 percent on some cuts of pork and as much as 25 percent on fresh white cheese, according to the notice. Onions, apples, pears, oranges, cherries, soy sauce, mineral water and sunglasses are also on the list.

Mexico will charge the duties on a rotating list of 99 U.S. products valued at about $2.5 billion, Economy Minister Bruno Ferrari told reporters Aug. 16 in Mexico City.

Mexico’s government is waiting for the U.S. to propose a resolution to the standoff, which started when the U.S. Congress ended a pilot program allowing Mexican trucks to deliver goods in the U.S. Mexico responded in March 2009 by putting tariffs of 10 percent to 45 percent on U.S. goods including vegetables, wine, juices, sunglasses and toothpaste. Now, authorities are imposing a second round or tariffs covering more goods.

The 2007 pilot program, which let as many as 100 Mexican trucking companies that met safety rules haul cargo into the U.S., was canceled last year under a provision in a spending bill passed by Congress.

The dispute first erupted in 1995 after the U.S. refused to implement a cross-border plan agreed to under the North American Free Trade Agreement amid opposition from U.S. labor groups. U.S. officials have promised on multiple occasions to take steps to resolve the standoff. President Barack Obama said in August 2009 he was committed to finding a solution.

Trucking Dispute

U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk said Aug. 16 the U.S. is working with Congress to resolve the trucking dispute. “We are disappointed that the Mexican government has announced its intention to impose duties on additional U.S. products related to the cross-border trucking,” Kirk said in a statement. Kirk added that he is committed “to resolve the dispute and end these duties.”

The trucking dispute “is a real pickle for the administration,” said Lori Wallach, director of Global Trade Watch in Washington, which opposes the trucking provisions in the trade deal. “There is no foreseeable moment when Congress lets Nafta trump safety.”

The Teamsters union, which fought against what it has called the unsafe foreign competition, called the new tariffs excessive and urged the Obama administration to challenge them.

“Instead of slapping additional tariffs on U.S. goods, Mexico should be living up to its end of the bargain by making sure its drivers and trucks are safe enough to use our highways,” James Hoffa, the Teamsters president, said in an Aug. 16 statement.

To contact the reporters on this story: Laura Price in London at [email protected]; Jens Erik Gould in Mexico City at [email protected]

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got their tariff, no Mexican trucks EVER allowed beyond two miles of the border and a LARGE fee on every truck crossing the border to get to the warehouses just across the border line.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and when they add automotive parts.....:D

I don't think they'd do that....if this back fires they are only going to hurt their own farmers...

I for one boycotted Mexican produce last year...There are many alternatives to their products...

ryansexpress

Seasoned Expediter
Does this mean they are charging the US 5 to 25% to import
fruit and veg. from Mexico to the US or from the US to Mexico?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know food is like oil, someone will buy it. If it is not Mexico, then there are other countries we can sell it to. I don't see it as a problem for us, but the Mexicans it will be a problem.

Maybe we should hold back corn and wheat just to equal things out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I think we need to invade Mexico and liberate the people from their government. By placing tariffs on food to the people, that should be something along the lines of intended murder. Those poor people not getting enough to eat because of trucks not coming here and killing people on our side of the border because of brake failures or trailers falling apart as they drive

Something has to be done about it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know I think we need to invade Mexico and liberate the people from their government. By placing tariffs on food to the people, that should be something along the lines of intended murder. Those poor people not getting enough to eat because of trucks not coming here and killing people on our side of the border because of brake failures or trailers falling apart as they drive

Something has to be done about it.

Agreed....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea we need practice, we need to start by invading Canada, what they do to beer up there is just ... bad.

Protect the beer!:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yea we need practice, we need to start by invading Canada, what they do to beer up there is just ... bad.

Yeah and move most of the people, not the cool ones, to California and New Jersey and make the entire country into a really good hunting and fishing camp!! :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hey....and just when is the US of A going to learn to make REAL beer? instead of this pony pee...*L*

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually we have been making real beer for a long time, we add foaming agents, anti-foaming agents, artificial flavors and colors and we even has a great quick processing method that instead of taking a month to produce a good beer, we can do it in three days using water with sewage in it to save energy.

WE KNOW HOW TO MAKE BEER BETTER THAN ANYONE IN THE WORLD - PERIOD!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey....and just when is the US of A going to learn to make REAL beer? instead of this pony pee...*L*

HEY!! You seem to don't know SQUAT about American beer brewers Bubba!! There is a big and growing industry in Michigan, one of the few, micro brewers and craft brewing. They are producing some VERY good beers that rivals anything I had in England or Japan. Next time you are near the house when I am home I will have to educate you some!! Pony pee my hind leg!! Humph!!:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
HEY!! You seem to don't know SQUAT about American beer brewers Bubba!! There is a big and growing industry in Michigan, one of the few, micro brewers and craft brewing. They are producing some VERY good beers that rivals anything I had in England or Japan. Next time you are near the house when I am home I will have to educate you some!! Pony pee my hind leg!! Humph!!:p

and with US beer that is all ya can do...pizz down your leg....:p